• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Atom?

Silvers24

Gawd
Joined
Oct 11, 2007
Messages
514
I am looking at the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500055
To go with that silverstone case...even though i could build something cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Image...nze Certified / Single +12V rail Power Supply

I am wondering how this atom though could compare to a core 2 duo...which was my original plan..but I love the idea of a somewhat powerful pc in such a small box. But I am a bit hesitant on the cpu...or well anything that's built in..I own a excellent wi-fi and I own a 7950gt...but seeing as the board only has 1 pc slot..one of those will have to go...saying the cpu is good. And can it be overlocked?
 
It'll be fine for internet and light tasks but its no core2duo for sure.

Put it this way, my pinetrail atom @ 1.66ghz hits 1min 30sec on superPi 1m..
My old HP 6910p with a 2ghz Merom C2D @ 800mhz still hits 1min 8sec.. :eek:
My arrandale i7@ 1.197ghz hits 35.538 sec in superpi 1m
Clock for clock its about half as fast a core2duo but puts out a lot less heat, my netbook frequently runs for hours without the fan spinning up and gets better battery life to boot.
 
Last edited:
Atom is good for a lot of things, such as netbooks with long battery life and low heat, but in that case you could do a lot better....
for roughly the same price, you could get a lot more performance with these items:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131659
a mini-itx 880G board with Radeon 4250 graphics
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3698&cm_re=sempron_140-_-19-103-698-_-Product
a sempron 140 that is very likely to unlock to a Athlon II X2 with that board.
Roughly the same price, probably triple the cpu performance, and once you take overclocking into account, several margins more. I haven't been able to find any direct ion 2 vs Radeon 4250 benchmarks, but I'm pretty sure the 4250 is at the least just as good, if not 30-40% quicker, once again I haven't found them directly benchmarked against each other.
 
There are much better bangs for the buck as pointed out above. Not really too hot on a Sempron 140 though.

The H55H-I + i3 530 is available for around $20 more than the dual core Atom board and blows it away. It's also faster than a C2D and would have a longer usable lifespan. The H55H-I also has a PCI-E x16 slot if you want dedicated graphics in the future. I have a H55H-I, i3 540 (and GT 240) in my HTPC/TV gaming system and it's a great mini ITX board.
 
I purchased an Asus AT5IONT board with the 1.8GHz Dual Core ATOM and I really like it for the HTPC role it fills.

It uses 58watts of power under 100% load, about 8x-10x less power than my gaming machine. I'll gladly trade a bit of performance for that kind of power usage for a machine that is on 24/7 for months at a time :)
 
I purchased an Asus AT5IONT board with the 1.8GHz Dual Core ATOM and I really like it for the HTPC role it fills.

It uses 58watts of power under 100% load, about 8x-10x less power than my gaming machine. I'll gladly trade a bit of performance for that kind of power usage for a machine that is on 24/7 for months at a time :)

I'll second this, depending on what your usage model is, the low power atom model is quite good for power efficiency (especially the dual core atoms) and at htpc tasks when supported by adequate graphics solutions. however I dont think the OP's main concern is power consumption since he mentions wanting to overclock in his post.
 
Back
Top