Atom question

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
Couldn't find the quick answer online, so hoping for some education from the experts around here.
Atom N450 vs. N455. Same specs (from what I can see), same price. Yet the lower numbered part seems to have the advantage being 5.5 Watts vs. 6.5 Watts for the N455. Is this just an example where higher the number doesn't equal better? I know if I went blind into the store, I would generally take the proc with the higher number. Is the N450 the better CPU?

Is it single core? if it is the difference could be hyperthreading like the atom in my netbook?

According to the link I jested above. No. Same specs like i stated.

Last edited:
Would seem the 55 has a different memory controller that supports DDR3 whereas the 50 is just DDR2.

The 455 has an updated memory controller that supports DDR3 memory... which you would have noticed had you read the spec sheets.

Winner winner, chicken diner!
Well at least partially.
Under memory type the N455 says DDR2/3, where the N450 says DDR2-667. Everything else reads the same. Yet the N450 is a full Watt lower making it the better chip in my mind. Does the N455 have much beefier GFX or what?

Ah yes. The first Google page result. :rolleyes:
Is there anything on that page i didn't mention already?
But thanks for the reply :)

PS- I thought I mentioned I had done a search for the quick answer. Couldn't find it. Hence the post.

Did you follow the link to the comparison pages?

Of course. Thats where I got the info from my last post.

Then why be a smartass when you are too lazy to do your own research? I found all the answers from those links I would need to make an informed purchase.
After all YOU made this thread. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Winner winner, chicken diner!
Well at least partially.
Under memory type the N455 says DDR2/3, where the N450 says DDR2-667. Everything else reads the same. Yet the N450 is a full Watt lower making it the better chip in my mind. Does the N455 have much beefier GFX or what?

No, besides the memory controller they are 100% identical.

Of course. Thats where I got the info from my last post.

Not to be a dick but had you actually read that instead of responding with smart ass posts you would have been able to answer the question for yourself.

The link KWH posted is where i found the difference, why couldn't you?

A little dick'ish maybe ;)
I had been to that site before starting this thread. It is the first result from Google. I stated that already. Yes I missed the DDR2 vs. DDR2/3 thing when scanning the specs.
But my original question was(read OP), and still is, is the N450 the better CPU being that it is 5.5 Watts vs. 6.5 Watts for the N455. In that market segment isn't power draw far more valuable?

I had been to that site before starting this thread. It is the first result from Google. I stated that already. Yes I missed the DDR2 vs. DDR2/3 thing when scanning the specs.
But my original question was(read OP), and still is, is the N450 the better CPU being that it is 5.5 Watts vs. 6.5 Watts for the N455. In that market segment isn't power draw far more valuable?

Had you actually read, you wouldn't have needed to start this thread.
:D Has the makings of a song here somewhere.

1.) One Atom pulls slightly less wattage then another but is that really something you're going to notice?

2.) One Atom supports DDR3 memory even though it benefits nothing from it.

3.) Yet again, it's the same exactly damn chip, one is just tweaked a tad. :rolleyes:

1.) One Atom pulls slightly less wattage then another but is that really something you're going to notice?

For the love of god.... The TDP is 1 watt higher. Some people need to look up wtf a TDP is.

I will give you a hint the TDP is NOT how much power it draws...

For the love of god.... The TDP is 1 watt higher. Some people need to look up wtf a TDP is.

I will give you a hint the TDP is NOT how much power it draws...

Yeah, yeah. I know but power draw is affected by it. Regardless, the point is is that no one is going to notice a 1 TDP difference. :rolleyes:

Yeah, yeah. I know but power draw is affected by it. Regardless, the point is is that no one is going to notice a 1 TDP difference. :rolleyes:

Not really, but the point remains the same. A 1watt difference in TDP will mean no noticeable real world difference in power draw.

Not really, but the point remains the same. A 1watt difference in TDP will mean no noticeable real world difference in power draw.

Exactly. That's the point. :rolleyes:

If it was like moving from a Northwood to a Prescott then yeah, that would be a noticeable difference in both areas.

If it is about a %17.5 difference between the two, wouldn't it be somewhat impactful? I guess in the scope of things where these CPU's are rarely ever pushed due to the nature of what one uses a Netbook for, I guess not.

If it is about a %17.5 difference between the two, wouldn't it be somewhat impactful? I guess in the scope of things where these CPU's are rarely ever pushed due to the nature of what one uses a Netbook for, I guess not.

Dude, the wattage you keep referring to is the fucking TDP that is NOT HOW MUCH POWER THE CHIP USES. :rolleyes:

Dude, the wattage you keep referring to is the fucking TDP that is NOT HOW MUCH POWER THE CHIP USES. :rolleyes:

Right, it's just how much power you are to assume it uses in order to design the heatsink. TOTALLY different. :rolleyes:

Right, it's just how much power you are to assume it uses in order to design the heatsink. TOTALLY different. :rolleyes:

It actually has absolutely NOTHING to do with its power usage. Its the thermal power not power draw...

Yes they are totally different. Higher TDP usually means higher power draw but its hardly concrete and certainly not linear in any measurable way. A 1 watt TDP difference between 2 chips is 100% meaningless in terms of actual power draw.:rolleyes:

This ignorant shit people keep going on about TDP and power draw being the same is pretty fucking stupid for an enthusiast forum you people should know better...

Back