atom 230 for linux toy?

Elf_Boy

2[H]4U
I have been wanting a linux box to play with and learn.

I see several atom 230 hashes at Frys for $200 ish.

Will they run it well enough for me not to get bored looking at hourglass or other "working" icons?

It really depends what you're planning to run. Did you have a particular distribution or task in mind? What software are you going to be using?

For most tasks it should be quite usable, especially so if you run a lightweight distribution.

my advice is, be carefull with those atom boards

i bought the first revision A330 board from intel, and the NIC on that board is NOT supported in linux, it could possible be gotten to work, but that isnt something you as a novice would want to try, i ended up just using an older intel mITX board (on which the video chip isnt supported beyond 800*600, but its fine for a headless server) and selling the A330 board.

If you have a quad core with 4gb ram, why not just run a virtual machine with linux to experiment in? no hardware cost (and virtualbox from sun is free, or use the trial for VMware workstation)

I need to update my sig. I am at 8 gigs of ram now :)

I tried playing with the microsoft virtual box and no linux distro I could find would load in it even from real cd's.

The Sun one I found cost lots of money.

If there is a virtual box on the freeish side that would work I would be interested in it.

There is something to be said for a real separate keyboard and monitor too. (which I have laying around old 19"lcd)

In terms of what I want to do with it... get some time in playing with Linux. Probably mostly web brows, light game and email kinda stuff. Maybe run a light TS/vent server on it.

Back