Atlas Folder Update - 19 GTX295s

Atlas Folder

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2012
Hey everyone! Atlas Folder, my GPU folding farm has finally reached its initial build-out goal!

I know a few of you have been keeping up with my build so I thought I've give you a head's up:

[Atlas Folding]

atlasfolder-3-14-09-leftside-small.png

Jason

Geezus... you're gonna make FLECOM cry at some point... ;)

Nice setup, and congrats...

I remember your other thread(s). Thanks for spending the time and money on a setup like that. And congratulations on meeting your initial goals.

that is a fantastic setup a real study in maximum return in space! thanks for your work man!

man seriously.. could i like kiss your feet for a month or something for one of those cards.... PPPPLLLEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEE!!!!!!!

That is indeed VERY impressive. I know how much these GTX295's are running (looking at getting a very measly 3 in comparison). We all thank you for your investment to the cause!!!!

btw, what MoBo tray are you using? Custom built ones or off the shelf? I've got a server rack myself and am curious as to what tray you are using.

Looking good man. I was showing your website to a coworker the other day to explain about F@H. He joked that your explanation was much better than how I was trying to describe everything.

He asked if you could play Crysis with your setup. I loled a bit.

Ever think about helping us out with the Chimp Challenge and then just forgetting to switch teams when we are done?

That's a really nice set up. What's the heat dump like? I know 4 9800GX2s will heat up a room quickly.

Thanks guys! :)

As for playing Crysis, let's just say that if you strapped all these boards together micro-stuttering would get pretty bad! :D

The motherboard is a MSI K9A2 Platinum which has native support for 4 double-wide PCIe cards and uses AMD processors -- it's been a pretty good motherboard; I have 9550 Phenoms in them. There are more impressive boards that do the same thing if you're in the market to build a single gaming rig or something. This board has been good and cheap for my build but its overclocking options are limited since it's more of a server board than a hobbyist board.

Jason

Oh, as for heat... It's really not as bad as people think. Yeah, it does dump a lot of heat, but I have the rack in a very large room where the load is not that noticeable.

My best description is that it's like standing in front of a wall of hair dryers. Both noise and heat.

Jason

Jason,

Actually I was looking to find out what tray are you using to mount the MoBo to your rack? Is it custom? or off the shelf?

Ah..

The rack and the shelves are both Middle Atlantic Products. They're all very high quality and I'm quite happy with them. You can find links to them here.

Jason

lol 400 dollar ps3 does what 900ppd.. gtx 295 does 10k+..

btw what the heck is your electricity bill like with all that..

@sirmonkey1985: Each shelf of 4 GTX295's consumes ~1125W of power continuously. You can see my current consumption chart under increasing load here and the whole study here. Where my business is in Oklahoma it costs me ~$1.44 per day to run each shelf at industrial power rates. That's ~$525.00 annually per shelf. I have four shelves plus 3 other GTX295s in two other computers... say another $400.00 annually for them. Right now my annual bill is ~$2,500.00 or $208.00/month. There is an additional knock-on expense in the summer months of my building's AC running more, but that's difficult to quantify.

@CaptainRAVE: Spare money is an oxymoron. :)

Jason

man im moving to oklahoma.. ill just steal one of the 5 bedrooms in my cousins house.. he'll never even know im there.. hell it costs me 250 dollars a month just to run my 3 pathetic systems..

I showed your setup to my fiance. It was funny to see her reaction. She just doesn't understand.

She still needs a hobby.

Wow. Very impressive commitment in terms of time, effort and money. Wow.

I too use a MSI K9A2, but I've only got 3 x 9800GX2 on it. Awesome rig. I'm not even worthy to look at such a sight!

@sirmonkey1985: Each shelf of 4 GTX295's consumes ~1125W of power continuously. You can see my current consumption chart under increasing load here and the whole study here. Where my business is in Oklahoma it costs me ~$1.44 per day to run each shelf at industrial power rates. That's ~$525.00 annually per shelf. I have four shelves plus 3 other GTX295s in two other computers... say another $400.00 annually for them. Right now my annual bill is ~$2,500.00 or $208.00/month. There is an additional knock-on expense in the summer months of my building's AC running more, but that's difficult to quantify.

@CaptainRAVE: Spare money is an oxymoron. :)

Jason

Mwhaha I pay nothing for electricity (for now :\)!!! Dorm life has it's ups and downs (ok mostly downs) but all you can eat electricity is the way to go (almost 100% uptime too because we have a cogen plant on campus!)

pitty you don't fold for [H]

Atlas Folder, I know this is a blatant (or blatent) attempt to get you to fold for the mighty [H]orde I know it may twist someones shorts or "G' strings (whichever applys :D) I know you are folding according to your choice and your folding is nothing less than unbelievable.

The way I look at it not only would you be folding, according to EOC, under the #1 team on the Internet and I have to agree there are many good teams out there, but IMHO the mighty [H]orde team 33 is the best team in the F@H project. :p Besides all that, you'd get to be on the same team as a bunch of "super dooper" folders (like yourself, with those gigantic farms like the OP of this thread I quoted) and get to discuss all that info about having oodles of top flight gear and humongus light bills. (something us garden variety folders don't contend with so much ;)) Plus you'd get to watch us envious garden variety folders with our noses pressed to the glass looking in and drooling all over the place (only kiddiin' about the envious part, not the drooling :cool:)

Added jab... (to the shorts and "G' strings), with the "Chimp Challenge" comin' up we can use all the help we can get :) (this is my lame attempt at recruiting :()

DCing for the CURE

jws2346,

I'm always flattered when people try to recruit me, who wouldn't be?

Actually [H] is one of my favorite computer sites. I don't post a lot but I lurk quite a bit. I appreciate the offer, but I must admit I don't know much about the Chimp Challenge. I tried to find some good information on it earlier today and failed. I suck at the Internet. :D

If anyone can point me at some Chimp Challenge info let 'er rip.

Jason

jws2346,

Actually [H] is one of my favorite computer sites. I don't post a lot but I lurk quite a bit. I appreciate the offer, but I must admit I don't know much about the Chimp Challenge. I tried to find some good information on it earlier today and failed. I suck at the Internet. :D

If anyone can point me at some Chimp Challenge info let 'er rip.

Jason

Here's the action from the [H]orde's point of view

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1297404

jws2346,

In a nutshell, it's a race between top teams to reach 5,000,000 points. Whoever reaches the finish line first wins.This year the race should take considerably less time because of GPU2 and the consequent higher PPD across all teams. You wouldn't be diverting production from your team for that long. Alternatively, you can commit only a portion of your total output to the challenge, if reconfiguring all your clients will be time consuming. It's up to you. :)

Back