Atlantic Article on Jonathan Blow

TwistedAegis

[H]F Junkie
Thought this was a good read on Jonathan Blow, the maker of Braid, and his ideas for his next game:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/04/the-most-dangerous-gamer/8928/ said:
Although video games long ago blossomed into full commercial maturity (the adrenaline-soaked military shooter Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, for example, racked up $400 million in sales during its first 24 hours in stores last fall), the form remains an artistic backwater, plagued by cartoonish murderfests and endless revenue-friendly sequels. Blow intends to shake up this juvenile hegemony with The Witness, a single-player exploration-puzzle game set on a mysterious abandoned island. In a medium still awaiting its quantum intellectual leap, Blow aims to make The Witness a groundbreaking piece of interactive art—a sort of Citizen Kane of video games.

Call me doubtful it's possible to do it all at once, but I think it's a step in a right direction. I'm all about games as a visual medium of art and storytelling in an immersive environment - but there is also room for cartoonish murderfests! :D

Also, this quote made me crack up...kind of a douche, but still damn funny!

At his Berkeley office many months later, as I was playing a more polished build of The Witness, I turned to Blow at the next desk and asked if I was missing some clue for a specific puzzle. He fixed me with a stare that could hammer a nail into a wall. “The clue is, you’re doing it wrong,” he said. In other words: don’t ask me to do your thinking for you.

Back