ATI's x800xt pe leads by far vs 6800Ultra OC in new Far Cry benchmarks, 2nd August.

Seriously, I still don't really get why he went with the name of SnakEyez when he's clearly got ATIEyez. Maybe his name is a socio-political commentary on the nefarious corporate practices of ATI?

Well look at xbitlabs new benchmarks. It´s pretty obvious it´s the PS 2.0 that makes the big difference still between 6800 ULTRA and X800XT PE. In every game that makes some real use of PS 2.0 X800XT is instantly superior to the 6800 ULTRA even if overclocked.

Like IL 2 Aces expansion, Perimeter you name it.

I thought I was going mad - "maybe nvidia's latest driver's weren't being used, maybe ATI's cards had an unfair advantage." However it seems none of this is true, there is something in all of this, ATI really are that far ahead in Far Cry :D

DemonDiablo and others - lol at you all, I was just about to buy a 6800Ultra, literally until I saw these benchmarks. :)

It does matter which card I get, because if ATi do better in HL2 by far and in DX9 in general, that means the next six months playing Counter-Strike:Source, TF:S, DoD:s Bloodlines etc. etc. will be noticeably better with a x800xt.

On Doom3 - the reality is most people can play on 1600x1200 Full Detail, 4xAA with three cards, the x800xt and 6800 series - however if you want ultra quality you'll first need a fast enough cpu and ram then an Ultra, apparently. Basically ATI isn't doing as bad as I thought, with the x800XT, in doom3. Infact most people will get the same experience on their Ultra as the XT people.

Burninggrave, tranCendenZ and Empty etc. etc. know I was all for the 6800 series, but now I've seen these benchmarks I've changed my mind - I'm not sure which to get again....to think, I was a "TigerBlade" doubter just this morning :p

np Blackwind.

rancor said:
Hmm interesting thread, do you know if ATI is running the sm 2.0b path, and Nvidia is running the sm 3.0 path? Patch 1.2 has bugs for ATi where it doesn't draw 50% of the textures. Think about patch 1.2 and ATi cards and rendering problems, this benchmark is BS.

The Benchmark was conducted on the 2nd of August, this month, and is supposed to be using all the latest drivers for both sides. The only people who have a disadvantage are ATI imo, because an OCed 6800Ultra is being used...or maybe you're correct? However in the previous OLD benchmarks on that site, ATI was winning too: *Only look at the 4xAA, 8xAA, 1600x1200 results on Far Cry please: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_ps2.0b/page11.asp Previous test; ATi by 7+fps, ATi by 13fps; ATi by 5fps. * The new test shows a much greater difference, this is the older one.

If it's true that they weren't using the latest Nvidia driver's then :/ Then the above may not apply, the site should be using the latest drivers for all cards. So Nvidia are equal now in FarCry or not??? Show me benchmarks please...

^eMpTy^ said:
Just goes to show you, at this point you can manipulate the variables to show either the XTPE or the Ultra to be in the lead...too bad you can't buy XTPE's...
If that's true, then I truely don't know what to do. Are Nvidia Level in FarCry? Is ATi really doing this much better? I might have to just wait until HL2 before buying, infact I think I will.

Just read through the thread more...Waiting for HL2 as the final benchmark to show which card I should decide on.

I would disagree about you being able to play at the same level of detail in Doom 3 as 6800 GT and 6800 ULTRA owners. Doom 3 is too demanding and the gap is to wide for that really. So as for Doom 3 even if the latest 4,9 beta first benchies was posted just now tonight showned almost 10 % performance increase in that series of benchmarks 6800 cards are still a fair bit higher performing in Doom 3.

If you just want playable games at high res it doesn´t matter if you get a 6800 or X800 they are both so fast really. If you don´t care about 20-30 % less performance in Doom 3 why would you in those dx 9 titles :). Believe me we 6800 owners won´t have any trouble running HL 2 or bloodlines or whatever either even if we will definiatly loose the fps race. We may to have to make sacrifices though I have a feeling HL 2 will be less demanding than Doom 3 but that´s just what it feels like :)

All I got to say is that when you:

A) Have a hard time deciding which card/brand of card to buy
and
B) Have threads upon threads of fanboys vigorusly defending their cards over a few fps

Thats when you can come upon the conclusion:

that no matter what video card you pick your buying a good card. Sure your card mite not have sm3 and sure your card mite only be getting 59.99999 fps while my card is getting 60 but when it comes down to it this is the first time in quite a few generation when video cards have been kickass!

So lets put down all the torches, put down all the fire arms, and set a side all the fanboi syndromes and hold hands and sing nice little gospel songs around a camp fire. :) :) :) :)

DemonDiablo said:
All I got to say is that when you:

A) Have a hard time deciding which card/brand of card to buy
and
B) Have threads upon threads of fanboys vigorusly defending their cards over a few fps

Thats when you can come upon the conclusion:

that no matter what video card you pick your buying a good card. Sure your card mite not have sm3 and sure your card mite only be getting 59.99999 fps while my card is getting 60 but when it comes down to it this is the first time in quite a few generation when video cards have been kickass!

So lets put down all the torches, put down all the fire arms, and set a side all the fanboi syndromes and hold hands and sing nice little gospel songs around a camp fire. :) :) :) :)

I completely agree. All the cards are awesome (except the Pro :p ) so it just comes down to what you find at what price. If you can find an X800XTPE for $500, it's worth it. However, since your chances of finding an XTPE at that price are slim to none, just get the GT and call it good.

I would rather base my purchase based on many top games rather than one.......

Ogvist I don't care as much about doom3 as I do about HL2, I want the one with better performance in HL2 :) However I would like to play Doom3 on Ultra quality, it seems as though the only chance I have to do this is if I buy an Ultra *unless" the new ATI drivers have improved to the same level (doubt it.) The difference in doom3 is less than 7fps btw. :) You see why I'm having trouble deciding?

In CS/TF:Source, if ATI have a 20fps diff that will be important...

Finally - if i'm spending $750-850 (USD) on a card, I want the best one, as a [H]ardcore gamer that is (yes, card's are that expensive here in the UK.)

^eMpTy^ said:
I completely agree. All the cards are awesome (except the Pro :p ) so it just comes down to what you find at what price. If you can find an X800XTPE for $500, it's worth it. However, since your chances of finding an XTPE at that price are slim to none, just get the GT and call it good.

Until you find out it only performs better, at this point, in one game. It is foolish to give up that much performance just because you might be able to get one today.

R1ckCa1n said:
I would rather base my purchase based on many top games rather than one.......

The GT was the obvious best choice before Doom 3 benchmarks even came out due to its performance in a bunch of "top games"...

Exactly, I bought my GT a good month before Doom3 came out. D3 was just the icing on the cake, it wasn't the cake itself.

Blad3 said:
Ogvist I don't care as much about doom3 as I do about HL2, I want the one with better performance in HL2 :) However I would like to play Doom3 on Ultra quality, it seems as though the only chance I have to do this is if I buy an Ultra *unless" the new ATI drivers have improved to the same level (doubt it.) The difference in doom3 is less than 7fps btw. :) You see why I'm having trouble deciding?

In CS/TF:Source, if ATI have a 20fps diff that will be important...

Finally - if i'm spending $750-850 (USD) on a card, I want the best one, as a [H]ardcore gamer that is (yes, card's are that expensive here in the UK.)

I dont think you understand though :confused: There is no "best one". Unless you base your opinions around one game. And to be quite blunt (cause im a very frank no bs kinda guy) if you buy a card for $700-900 just one peice of software then your not being very [H]ard your being very [D]umb :(

Reading from your post on various threads I dont think your dumb your just falling into all the hype right now. I say buy the card that you like the most. Its gonna kickass on both d3d and OGL and you wont regret your purchase. I really didnt expect to be telling this to you of all people...nuff said cause im (U)ber (yea i use ( ) around my letters instead of [ ] cause im just good like that )

DemonDiablo said:
I dont think you understand though :confused: There is no "best one". Unless you base your opinions around one game. And to be quite blunt (cause im a very frank no bs kinda guy) if you buy a card for $700-900 just one peice of software...

I agree 100% if by "based around one game" you meant "based around 10+ games", yes, that many or more DX9 games are out this year that I really want. I understand they're both excellent cards so you didn't have to tell me that, however you don't seem to understand that for $800 I want the best, i.e. by 7-20fps for these 10 games, especially if ATi are on the tail of Nvidia with doom3 with their new drivers... :)

Exactly - if I bought a 6800Ultra at this stage it might just be "for one game" i.e. doom3...so why do that (especially as it's not the one I'm looking forwards to the most)?

Blad3 said:
I agree 100% if by "based around one game" you meant "based around 10+ games", yes, that many or more DX9 games are out this year that I really want. I understand they're both excellent cards so you didn't have to tell me that, however you don't seem to understand that for $800 I want the best, i.e. by 7-20fps for these 10 games, especially if ATi are on the tail of Nvidia with doom3 with their new drivers... :)

Exactly - if I bought a 6800Ultra at this stage it might just be "for one game" i.e. doom3...so why do that (especially as it's not the one I'm looking forwards to the most)?

Blad3, the drivers aren't new, they are the ones from the [H] D3 guide...ATi hasn't boosted performance over the results seen in the id benchmarks, it just released the drivers to the public for Doom3...

Tigerblade said:
Ppl still play Doom 3? ;) thought that'd been beaten to death already ;)

I got a question. When do you guys ever play games? I mean come on. If your video card is so great, and it's like really entertaining you. WTH are you doing here arguing about it?

^eMpTy^ said:
Blad3, the drivers aren't new, they are the ones from the [H] D3 guide...ATi hasn't boosted performance over the results seen in the id benchmarks, it just released the drivers to the public for Doom3...

I understand that now, however there are reports from XTPE user that they can play at 1600x1200, 2-4xAA, *** Ultra Quality *** on Doom 3, just fine on machines as low as 3Ghz/3000+, 1Gb. :)

yevaud said:
I got a question. When do you guys ever play games? I mean come on. If your video card is so great, and it's like really entertaining you. WTH are you doing here arguing about it?

You wouldnt understand...your obviously not [H]ard enough and in the case of me your not even close to being (U)ber enough...

DemonDiablo said:
You wouldnt understand...your obviously not [H]ard enough and in the case of me your not even close to being (U)ber enough...

I play a lot of games but I refuse to play doom3, Half life 2 or far cry with a 9800xt :)

Blad3 said:
I play a lot of games but I refuse to play doom3, Half life 2 or far cry with a 9800xt :)

you do realize that I wasnt making that comment in regards to you right? And at that that post was just a joking around im busting your balls kinda post

EDIT: oh and I feel the same way as you (as do a few of my friends), they took 4yrs to make this game and there wont be another like it (with the exceptional of probably HL2) in quite a few years, so the least I can do is upgrade my video card to this gen to play this game in all of its glory! Trying to play D3 on ge3,4,5 tech is like trying to play GT4 on a ps1...just plain and simply disgraceful to the producers

DemonDiablo said:
you do realize that I wasnt making that comment in regards to you right? And at that that post was just a joking around im busting your balls kinda post

yes, and so was my post. It was a *turns nose up* at anything that doesn't play a game at full (i.e. the 9800xt in my case...)

DemonDiablo said:

DemonDiablo said:

So was that a personal attack or were u just busting my balls too?

DemonDiablo said:
lol it was a busting your balls I was wasnt personaly attacking lol

Whew!
Man, I was like about to cry there, too. Heh

I hope you guys didn't take too much offense at my original post. I was just like **I can't believe I'm reading thru 6 more pages of posts about this** and had a little sarcastic thought. I do know one thing, when I get my GT and D3 all in the same general vicinity of my box, you won't be seeing me on here for awhile. (unless I have a major problem like a 3fps deviation from the [H] hardware guide benches.) LOL

yevaud said:
Whew!

I hope you guys didn't take too much offense at my original post. I was just like **I can't believe I'm reading thru 6 more pages of posts about this** and had a little sarcastic thought. I do know one thing, when I get my GT and D3 all in the same general vicinity of my box, you won't be seeing me on here for awhile. (unless I have a major problem like a 3fps deviation from the [H] hardware guide benches.) LOL

Firstly know matter how hard we New Englanders/Tri-Staters mite be I dont think a person from CT is gonna make a Texan cry ;)

And to answer your post about why arnt we playing...well I dont know about the other guys but as for me my GT is on pre-order. Gainward still hasnt released the GT (release date is 8/17...and seems to be getting pushed ever so slightly all the time). Thats why you see me posting a bit more than I outta be...not to mention that even if I had the game I wouldnt be playing it at 12:00 noon or anyother times when there is more light than is exceptable...probably the reason why a lot of these people are saying the game isnt "scary". Maybe if they turn off a few lights, brought their laptops back inside from porch, turn the contrast on the monitor down a bit, and invested in some 5.1 speakers they'd enjoy the game a bit more IMO ;)

yevaud said:
Whew!

I got D3 at 11am yesterday...I beat it in 18 hours...so time to get back to posting.

Blad get what ever card you want but those benchmarks ya see there aren't realistic by anymeans because take alook at the exact same benchmarks done by Firing squad two weeks before with the same systems. Why are they different? Same drivers too. Something doesn't look right. Also they tested the two levels ATi always was ahead in. The other three they tested 2 weeks before Nv was tied or in the lead. So whats the catch? Its more of a PR stunt then anything else. And ya far cry 1.2 has huge issues with ATi x800's so if you are going to play Far Cry x800's aren't the cards to get. I have a friend that works at Crytek, it was the 2.0b sm for ati that broke that patch. There is a good chance when its rerelased it won't be there.

It certainly IS! Whilst I'm sure you're used to paying through the nose for new hardware in the U.K. even I was surprised by what people are asking for the Ultras and the XTs. I saw them both in Tottenham Court Road, London (the main computer hardware street, shops upon shops of independant retailers all competing and the place to get the latest stuff early)

Sure you can sit on an online pre-order like I did for months on end, watching the date get pushed back over and over.... but when you walk into a shop and see a 6800 Ultra and X800XT-PE sat next to each other on the shelf then it's very hard not to just snatch one up right there and then and cancel your online orders.... even for....... wait for it...... £450!! :eek: Actually the Ultra was £440 and the XT was £450. I went for the XT because I'm looking forward to HL2 and CS:Source much more than Doom3.

It's a lot of money, even for a U.K. product. Then again it's simple supply and demand. The supply is almost nil and so you must pay to be [H]ard.

rancor said:
Blad get what ever card you want but those benchmarks ya see there aren't realistic by anymeans because take alook at the exact same benchmarks done by Firing squad two weeks before with the same systems. Why are they different? Same drivers too. Something doesn't look right. Also they tested the two levels ATi always was ahead in. The other three they tested 2 weeks before Nv was tied or in the lead. So whats the catch? Its more of a PR stunt then anything else. And ya far cry 1.2 has huge issues with ATi x800's so if you are going to play Far Cry x800's aren't the cards to get. I have a friend that works at Crytek, it was the 2.0b sm for ati that broke that patch. There is a good chance when its rerelased it won't be there.

Thanks for the info, but I'm just going to have to wait for HL2 it seems. Although you saying the x800 aren't the one's to get for FarCry is very interesting...

Finkus said:
It certainly IS! Whilst I'm sure you're used to paying through the nose for new hardware in the U.K. even I was surprised by what people are asking for the Ultras and the XTs. I saw them both in Tottenham Court Road, London (the main computer hardware street, shops upon shops of independant retailers all competing and the place to get the latest stuff early)

Sure you can sit on an online pre-order like I did for months on end, watching the date get pushed back over and over.... but when you walk into a shop and see a 6800 Ultra and X800XT-PE sat next to each other on the shelf then it's very hard not to just snatch one up right there and then and cancel your online orders.... even for....... wait for it...... £450!! Actually the Ultra was £440 and the XT was £450. I went for the XT because I'm looking forward to HL2 and CS:Source much more than Doom3.

It's a lot of money, even for a U.K. product. Then again it's simple supply and demand. The supply is almost nil and so you must pay to be [H]ard.

I'm in the exact same situation minus the card, what you said about pre-ordering online then seeing the date pushed back is 100% true. I'm prepared to pay up to 450 as well, and I can get to TCRoad easily. Coincidence. It would be excellent just to go there and get one asap, no waiting. However I have to see the HL2 benchmarks first now.

Blad3...just get a GT...when HL2 comes out, if it isn't the fastest...sell it on ebay for $450 and buy an XTPE if you can find one...in the mean time, you could be playing D3 at Ultra quality...

I got the XT from GHS Technologies (02076367645) . Also Computashop (02072553255) are usually neck and neck with GHS for getting hardware in fast and claim to have had XTs in although never when I went in.. Also Epsilon (02074368404), next door to GHS, claimed they were getting a shipment of XTs in last week but they never materialised. They also claimed they would sell it for £400 but then I've never seen them get anything in before GHS in many years of buying hardware on that street so it was likely a vapourclaim.

Should also mention that GHS said they would hold the card (they only had one) for me and I told them I'd be there within the hour. They took my name and mobile number and I was there in 45 mins. They gave me a glassy-eyed stare when I arrived and couldn't find the card or the attendant that had spoken to me on the phone. I pointed out that the card was IN THE WINDOW!!! I wasn't happy and if it hadn't had been the only XT I've seen on Tottenham Court Road in months I would not have bought from them.

Hope the numbers help and good luck getting whichever card you choose in the end. I've found it's really only GHS and Computashop that have knowledgeable salespeople and get the good stuff in fast. The rest of the shops on the whole are crooks and have no idea what you are talking about if you happen to mention any products that they haven't been selling for 4 months already.

^eMpTy^ said:
Blad3...just get a GT...when HL2 comes out, if it isn't the fastest...sell it on ebay for $450 and buy an XTPE if you can find one...in the mean time, you could be playing D3 at Ultra quality...

LOL thanks for the suggestion but no-can-do, only the ultra or XT and both are incredibly difficult to get here in Limey land.

Finkus thanks for the numbers and info, did you try the computer Fair they have at TCR?

I only ever went to that computer fair once about two years ago. The prices seemed much cheaper than the shops and they did have some hardware I'd not seen anywhere else but I'd worry about customer service should anything go wrong. Having said that I spotted an Asus A7N8 Deluxe, which nobody could find at the time and ended up getting a processor and ram as well and spending a fortune, on an impulse. I guess trade fairs can do that to you :D I don't trust myself to go again or I'll end up with an FX 53 or something crazy.

Finkus said:
I only ever went to that computer fair once about two years ago. The prices seemed much cheaper than the shops and they did have some hardware I'd not seen anywhere else but I'd worry about customer service should anything go wrong. Having said that I spotted an Asus A7N8 Deluxe, which nobody could find at the time and ended up getting a processor and ram as well and spending a fortune, on an impulse. I guess trade fairs can do that to you :D I don't trust myself to go again or I'll end up with an FX 53 or something crazy.

Yeah went there about 2-3 years back, very cheap, mostly but you have to be careful, no reason for you not to walk into a damaged product deal and never get your money back...

I double checked the latest x800xt vs 6800ultra benchmarks in Far Cry, alot/all using SM 3.0, and here are the results.

1600x1200 4xAA 8xAF Results : * I originally went to these sites to see Nvidia's GeForce 6800 Ultra winning.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2113&p=7
ATi XTPE stock wins by 9fps vs OCed 6800 Ultra "Extreme".
=====
http://techreport.com/etc/2004q3/farcry/index.x?pg=4
Ati 9fps. Other times equal.
=====
www.firingsquad.com's latest (see original post)
ATi 7-19(!) fps
=====
www.Firingsquad.com's original/first:
ATi 7-13fps.
=====
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=55&type=expert&pid=6
Uses older ATi Cat 4.6, yet new SM3.0 support for Nvidia: Nvidia wins one and ATi wins one by 3/4fps.
=====
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/graphics-cards-2004_17.html
ATI by 8fps.
=====
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040723/his-07.html
ATi 6fps (1.1)
=====
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1620524,00.asp
Ati by 5-10fps
=====
http://www.ixbt-labs.com/articles2/gffx/fc12.html
ATi 3-8fps
=====
* I didn't show some other sites because they didn't seem to show AAx4/AFx8 results or they didn't directly compare the 6800U to the x800xt.

Summary:

Far Cry - Both cards can play at 1600x1200 4xAA, 8xAF, full detail.

Doom 3 - with the 6800Ultra - which wins by about 7-15fps generally - you can play at 1600x1200 Ultra Quality, maybe 2-4xAA, and from user reports you can play on the same settings with the x800xt; (acceptable fps) Ultra Quality 1600x1200, maybe 2-4xAA and on a relatively "low-end" machine i.e. A64 3000+, 1Gb.

Half Life 2 - We'll see. To reiterate - the card that wins will be the card I buy.

Blad3 said:
Doom 3 - with the 6800Ultra - which wins by about 7-15fps generally - you can play at 1600x1200 Ultra Quality, maybe 2-4xAA, and from user reports you can play on the same settings with the x800xt; (acceptable fps) Ultra Quality 1600x1200, maybe 2-4xAA and on a relatively "low-end" machine i.e. A64 3000+, 1Gb.

Right then, you believe everything you read? Pray tell me how the XTPE holds its own against the Ultra when the GT is creaming it? Also, people seem to forget that Trilinear Opts come disabled by default on the latest drivers [and I've whored around with most of the beta drivers out there]. Enabling Tri Opts [you have to forcibley move the bar to High Performance...even Performance has Tri Opts disabled by default] netted me 15 FPS in KotOR at 1600x1200 4xAA 8xAF.

Fair is Fair, if ATI gets its opts Nvidia should get its as well.

The Batman said:
Pray tell me how the XTPE holds its own against the Ultra when the GT is creaming it?
I didn;t say that it does. The gt should be able to do the same.

I've had two or three people (it's on another thread) with the XTPE say they find ultra quality 1600x1200 on doom 3 fully playable with it. The GT should be too, only better...other than that I'm not sure what you're talking about. So ATI have some kind of advantage? People with the XTPE claimed Ultra Quality was playable on the *older* ATi driver's...

So I'm guessing you can't play on ultra quality 1600x1200 for some reason, with your 6800GT, even though it's supposed to be better for Doom 3?

This person has an OCed A64 3000+, 1Gb RAM and a X800XTPE, runs doom3 on UQ, there are several other examples of people with X800XTPE's running it at Ultra Quality, 1600x1200:

arentol said:
Yeah, the main problem with Ultra is not that the newest cards can't run it, the issue is that you can't load an entire level of uncompressed textures so every once in a while you get a HUGE drop in frame rate. It's really not a big deal though since it happens when entering new large rooms only, doesn't last long, and the situations where it does happen are both rare and usually not while you are in the middle of a fight.

I run Ultra at 1600x1200x2AA and have good enough fps, about 40 average,...

Somebody who can play 1600x1200 / Ultra Quality / 2xAA on a X800XT PE. 2xAA works fine...

Those who want to know how ati is getting higher fps in the dx games click on the link below.

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA5MDEzMTI5OGtGZzVGdlRuWG5fNl8zX2wuanBn

Ati hardware clearly renders less on the screen and uses crappy texture filtering to gain more fps. This is how Ati scored higher fps on open levels in farcry. I rather sacrifice 20-25 fps to get better realism and image quality and still run a game at 100+ fps.

Thats a bad example becuase the x800 Pic looks better than the 6800. ATI uses a 98% lossless algorithim. I can't tell the difference.

Back