ATi's VIVO...reviews?

Daggah

2[H]4U
I didn't even realize the X1900XT I ordered had VIVO until after I bought it (note: I won't actually be putting this system together for another 8-10 days, shipping to APO takes a while :( ) and I was just wondering if anyone has experience using the VIVO capabilities of ATI's cards, or if anyone can link me to any reviews that go over it and don't just briefly mention it in the review. I can't seem to find any real information about how good it is. Not exactly a deal breaker or anything, cause like I said, I didn't even know it was there; I also have a Hauppage capture card, and although it's a hassle, I can still get it so that there's no 2-3 second input lag with the right software used.

Main thing I'm wondering: anyone used the VIVO capabilities to hook a PS2 via S-Video or component and played through their monitor? How was it?

Thanks.

Vivo = Video in Video Out
Avivo = Ati Video Decoder

you sure you dont mean Avivo?

anywho....
this is a video review of Avivo

im not sure how you mean review of a video in video out port :confused:

unless im the dumbass, i get confused with names, Viiv, Avivo, VIVO.. :(

No, I'm referring to the VIVO capabilities, as in the video in/out capabilities of the card. Mainly I'm wondering about video in - is the quality decent, is there any processing lag, etc.

Here is a nifty list of 11 X1900 XT reviews. Just open them all up in tabs and look through them.

Daggah said:
No, I'm referring to the VIVO capabilities, as in the video in/out capabilities of the card. Mainly I'm wondering about video in - is the quality decent, is there any processing lag, etc.
They're pretty good. I used to use a TV tuner for VIVO, my X1800 blew it out of the water.

Daggah said:
Main thing I'm wondering: anyone used the VIVO capabilities to hook a PS2 via S-Video or component and played through their monitor? How was it?

Thanks.

I play my Gamecube through my X1800XT and I couldn't be happier. No input lag at all, and I fixed whatever minor ghosting was there by using a different filter in DScaler.

OK maybe this is a dumb question...what software do I need to actually *use* the VIVO capabilities...when I first built this system I immediately ran the installer for the Catalyst 6.6 drivers, and left the HIS software CDs in the box. I didn't see any option or VIVO capable program anywhere in my start menu afterwards so I went looking on the HIS driver CD. I ended up uninstalling 6.6, installing off the driver CD...still no VIVO apps? I'm at a loss here. :confused:

Edited to add that I tried to download the 4 part software kit for the Multimedia Center...the download that checks for an official ATI cd doesn't recognize my HIS driver CD as official...the DAO/MDAC software and the encoder software both seem to install fine. But when I try to install the Multimedia Center software the install routine starts up initially and then just disappears, not doing anything; the website seems to indicate that it's for the AIW cards.

I'm even more confused now than ever. How the hell do I actually access the VIVO capabilities on my card??

Back