• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ATI's crossfire picking up momentum

I really wish they would sell the Sapphire board here in the States cause I really like it.
 
Only problem with them though: They're made by ECS. When DFI makes one for OC'ing, I'll have it...
 
Project_2501 said:
Only problem with them though: They're made by ECS. When DFI makes one for OC'ing, I'll have it...

DFI is making one.

Article said:
In earlier Computex coverage, we have already shown you pictures of ATI Crossfire boards from Asus (Intel), MSI (AMD), DFI (AMD), Gigabyte (AMD and Intel), Sapphire (AMD and Intel) and HIS.
 
I don't have the source (so don't bother asking), but I remember there being some preliminary specs on a Sapphire Crossfire board and it included ridiculous voltages on pretty much everything. Even if DFI does not release a motherboard, it looks like Sapphire will be set to step in an provide an overclocking enthusiast's motherboard.
 
Just curious. What's the neon green plastic cap for? :confused:
 
Sly said:
Just curious. What's the neon green plastic cap for? :confused:

Most likely for appearance. The cap is over the ethernet ports...So, it probably glows when the ethernet lights are on...
 
Its not over the ethernet ports. Looks to me like a cheap version of Abits OTES. Fan and shroud trying to cool the mosfets and caps.
 
Wait, Abit makes a not cheap version of their OTS??? They all are cheap, none of them make sense, only more noise. Although, their heat-pipe one looks nice. But I'll still not buy Abit again for a while. Or at least until they get a-bit better. (Pun intended :p )
 
Hate_Bot said:

Our guess is to expect July or August availability of Crossfire boards in the retail channel.

Greeeeaaat!

So a month or two after you can buy a single G70 that will likely offer similar perfomance on all games, and a more advanced GPU feature set, for much less money, you'll be able to get SM2 Crossfire! Sounds like a DEAL! :rolleyes:

Not to mention you can already buy similar SLI, with more advanced GPUs, for less than this will cost?? :confused:

I see what you mean Hate_Bot- there is like this tidal wave of Cross Fire anticipation growing!

A day(year) late, a dollar(many) short.


PS- I wouldn't buy a ECS motherboard for $.01.
 
Cross Fire sounds good, that Saphire Mo Bo just looks amazing. I might try one of those mobo's out for my next rig.
 
{NG}Fidel said:
Cross Fire sounds good, that Saphire Mo Bo just looks amazing. I might try one of those mobo's out for my next rig.

The only thing "wrong" with Crossfire is that it's obsolete the day you buy it and cost a lot for what you get.

The color of the motherboard can't make me forget I'm playing SC:CT in SM 1.1, Riddick w/o shadows, or Far Cry w/o HDR?
 
Rollo = nVidia !!!!!!. It's taken for fact.

BTW: you say that CrossFire will be obsolete the moment you buy it? For this current generation, sure. Wait (and wait, and wait... you get the idea) for R520, and it SHOULD be awsome.

But then hey, it's nVidia releasing the G70, so I can't have too high of hopes, now can I?
 
well, I think crossfire on the next gen r520 is pretty exciting, as the increased AA/AF options make for more than just bragging rights over 3dmark scores, it's actual image quality improvements! I'm also curious to see performance of a dual x800xl setup, as that should drop down in price (at least for the non xfire card) and might be in an even better situation as the dual 6600gts are now, offering performance over single, higher priced cards especially if ati pulls of better performance. Of course it's all on paper, and the G70 is pretty soon. All the new features don't mean anything to me, as it takes a long while for them to be implemented in games, which is one advantage x fire has (better IQ right now through new AA/AF). Not to say that the G70 won't rock the boat, but nobody is going down on either side!
 
Project_2501 said:
Rollo = nVidia !!!!!!. It's taken for fact.

BTW: you say that CrossFire will be obsolete the moment you buy it? For this current generation, sure. Wait (and wait, and wait... you get the idea) for R520, and it SHOULD be awsome.

But then hey, it's nVidia releasing the G70, so I can't have too high of hopes, now can I?

God damned nVidia !!!!!!s always messing threads up...;)

I agree that CrossFire with the x800s is pretty lame...but with R520 it could be pretty freaking amazing especially if the 32 pipe version is actually available in any kind of quantity...

So while I see your point brother Rollo...let's not trash it till we see how G70 and R520 shape up...:)
 
Project_2501 said:
Rollo = nVidia !!!!!!. It's taken for fact.

BTW: you say that CrossFire will be obsolete the moment you buy it? For this current generation, sure. Wait (and wait, and wait... you get the idea) for R520, and it SHOULD be awsome.

But then hey, it's nVidia releasing the G70, so I can't have too high of hopes, now can I?

Bah.

I buy ALL flagship cards from ATI and nVidia, and have for the last 10 years. When you can say that, you can call me a !!!!!!.
I downgraded from a TNT to a Rage Fury, from a GF1 to a MAXX, from a GF2 Pro to a VIVO, from a GF3 to a 8500 that didn't even work stable at default clock, and "barely" upgraded from my 6800GT to a X800XTPE. If you look at my history, it would be a LOT easier to say I'm an ATI !!!!!!, because I've dumped a lot of better nV based cards to use ATI.

I like video cards, period.

Of the two of us, I'm guessing it's more likely I'll own/test a G70 and a R520- because that's what I plan to do. How about you chief? :rolleyes:
 
I'll give ATI their props again if the R520 merits them, I wont praise them for sitting on the R300 core for three years.
 
Rollo said:
Bah.

I buy ALL flagship cards from ATI and nVidia, and have for the last 10 years. When you can say that, you can call me a !!!!!!.
I downgraded from a TNT to a Rage Fury, from a GF1 to a MAXX, from a GF2 Pro to a VIVO, from a GF3 to a 8500 that didn't even work stable at default clock, and "barely" upgraded from my 6800GT to a X800XTPE. If you look at my history, it would be a LOT easier to say I'm an ATI !!!!!!, because I've dumped a lot of better nV based cards to use ATI.

I like video cards, period.

Of the two of us, I'm guessing it's more likely I'll own/test a G70 and a R520- because that's what I plan to do. How about you chief? :rolleyes:

Let me start up a fund: "Test Cards for Project_2501 Fund" That way I can actually purchase the cards. I don't have that kind of money, so I can't purchase the best of everything ever upgrade cycle.

And, while yes I do see you around with your ATi cards you're always saying that nVidia is superior to ATi and pimpin' your SLI'd cards.

BTW: HDR on FarCry, imo, looks like ass.
 
Project_2501 said:
Let me start up a fund: "Test Cards for Project_2501 Fund" That way I can actually purchase the cards. I don't have that kind of money, so I can't purchase the best of everything ever upgrade cycle.

And, while yes I do see you around with your ATi cards you're always saying that nVidia is superior to ATi and pimpin' your SLI'd cards.

BTW: HDR on FarCry, imo, looks like ass.

Nope.
You only see me defending nVidia in the 9700/9800 years because ATI didn't need defending, no one was slandering them.

For some reason people went off on a "Let's crucify nVidia because the 5900 has worse DX9" crusade even though there weren't any decent DX9 games to showcase the difference at the time. If I had a buck for everytime I gagged reading some nonsensical Shady Days quote, I'd be drinking my Jim Beam and diet coke in the Caymans, not the back yard. What happened by the time HL2 came out? All the cards Gabe compared for his millions were a joke at HL2.

For the last year, I've favored nVidia because ATI rested on the laurels of their very fine R300 core for the third calendar year straight, while nV gave us SLI, HDR, Soft shadows, and SM3.

I pimp SLI because it's the most exciting thing to hit computer gaming since the first SLI. When we have the choice between G70 SLI and R520 Crossfire at prices people can afford, we will truly be living large. ;)
 
I agree with you abour the R300, but only somewhat. I think it's interesting that the latest X850 cores can still beat nVidia's offering and be three years old. Every generation nVidia comes up with a new core, but ATi just refines the same one. Now that this core has hit its ceiling, it's time to move on.

Oh, and Gabe Newell is a joke. Saying that the 9800XT would be the best card for the game. It's funny, now that a 6600GT can beat it around. hehe.
 
Project_2501 said:
I agree with you abour the R300, but only somewhat. I think it's interesting that the latest X850 cores can still beat nVidia's offering and be three years old. Every generation nVidia comes up with a new core, but ATi just refines the same one. Now that this core has hit its ceiling, it's time to move on.

Oh, and Gabe Newell is a joke. Saying that the 9800XT would be the best card for the game. It's funny, now that a 6600GT can beat it around. hehe.

The thing is it's an old architecture doing less work. nV4X card are doing 32 bit processing where R3XX/4XX cards are doing 24bit.

Each wins some benches, but nVidia made it possible for the gaming industry to move forward while ATI milked the old cash cow.

They really are a latter day 3dfx, trailing with the features, offering the speed at old settings as a consolation.
 
I don't believe a word that comes out of Rollo's fingers. His thread history is the reason.
 
Actually he's mostly right on target. I don't believe what he says about 24-bit, 32-bit; but I've also not heard anything before about this.
 
Mister E said:
I don't believe a word that comes out of Rollo's fingers. His thread history is the reason.

Why don't you post some examples of something I've said that is untrue then? (good luck)

I don't believe Mr. E!

Gee, now we're even in saying something without any basis in fact. :rolleyes:
 
Project_2501 said:
Actually he's mostly right on target. I don't believe what he says about 24-bit, 32-bit; but I've also not heard anything before about this.

Tis true. nV cards can only process at 16 or 32 bit precision, ATI cards are always at 24 bit for DX9.

So the nV cards are always doing more "work", but there is no IQ difference for them doing so. It's one of the reasons the 5900s are slower than 9800s at HL2, and Gabe was trying to put together a "mixed mode" (part 16 bit/part 32 bit) to help them out.

I'm a lot of things, but I never lie about video cards. (besides being dishonest, not like I have anything to gain)
 
Project_2501 said:
Actually he's mostly right on target. I don't believe what he says about 24-bit, 32-bit; but I've also not heard anything before about this.

It's a fact that ATI card only have 24 bit float, while NVIDIA have 12, 16 and 32 bit float:
That is why NVIDIAS cards are FULL DirectX 9.0C compatible, while ATI's cards are only DirectX 9.0B compatible...

Terra...
 
Rollo said:
Greeeeaaat!

So a month or two after you can buy a single G70 that will likely offer similar perfomance on all games, and a more advanced GPU feature set, for much less money, you'll be able to get SM2 Crossfire! Sounds like a DEAL! :rolleyes:

Not to mention you can already buy similar SLI, with more advanced GPUs, for less than this will cost?? :confused:

I see what you mean Hate_Bot- there is like this tidal wave of Cross Fire anticipation growing!

A day(year) late, a dollar(many) short.


PS- I wouldn't buy a ECS motherboard for $.01.


Way to fucking troll.

and btw, the rumors abot the G70 being released in one week are just that, RUMORS

seriously, ban yourself
 
Rollo said:
Tis true. nV cards can only process at 16 or 32 bit precision, ATI cards are always at 24 bit for DX9.

So the nV cards are always doing more "work", but there is no IQ difference for them doing so. It's one of the reasons the 5900s are slower than 9800s at HL2, and Gabe was trying to put together a "mixed mode" (part 16 bit/part 32 bit) to help them out.

I'm a lot of things, but I never lie about video cards. (besides being dishonest, not like I have anything to gain)

Don't confuse the terms FP32 and 32bit...FP16, FP24 and FP32 do not correspond to 16-bit 24-bit and 32-bit...I forget what the exact numbers for each one are but I'm pretty sure FP32 is 128bit
 
Hate_Bot said:
Way to fucking troll.

and btw, the rumors abot the G70 being released in one week are just that, RUMORS

seriously, ban yourself

Hate_Bot...seriously...if you want to have an ATi-love-fest thread...just put it in the ATi section and you won't get people raining on your little imaginary parade...
 
You only see me defending nVidia in the 9700/9800 years because ATI didn't need defending, no one was slandering them.
Im sorry man but that is just a really bad reason... True but bad.

It's a fact that ATI card only have 24 bit float, while NVIDIA have 12, 16 and 32 bit float:That is why NVIDIAS cards are FULL DirectX 9.0C compatible, while ATI's cards are only DirectX 9.0B compatible...:

I have to ask though, does the decreased (I am not saying slow!) performance warrent this when their is no tangible visual increase. In the future as screens get bigger and Visual Quality on these screens gets much better than 32bit/FP will be needed but currently its a lame arguement.
 
Hate_Bot said:
Way to fucking troll.

and btw, the rumors abot the G70 being released in one week are just that, RUMORS

seriously, ban yourself

The only person who should be banned in this thread is you, for dropping the F bomb.

Quoted for permanence.

Learn to control your emotions, not everyone says everything ATI kicks out the door came from God through them. :rolleyes:
 
{NG}Fidel said:
Im sorry man but that is just a really bad reason... True but bad.



I have to ask though, does the decreased (I am not saying slow!) performance warrent this when their is no tangible visual increase. In the future as screens get bigger and Visual Quality on these screens gets much better than 32bit/FP will be needed but currently its a lame arguement.

The 32 bit floating point precision is what makes the EXR HDR of Far Cry and Splinter Cell possible.
 
Hate_Bot said:
Way to fucking troll.

and btw, the rumors abot the G70 being released in one week are just that, RUMORS

seriously, ban yourself

BTW- I'll be at the G70 launch party in a week, we'll see about the "rumors".
 
Back
Top