ati2dvga dll file error

Jaa-Yoo

Limp Gawd
Hey people,
I have a brand new 9600se and have problems with file ati2dvga.dll. I get a BSOD [There is a problem with ati2dvga] every time i install the driver and do a reset, sometimes from the moment i install the driver. Today i made a clean install of XP with SP2 and used the latest catalyst driver and still got the same problem.
Im running a Soltek QBic 3900 with a 3200+ A64, 512megs, 120gig sata hd, Pio dvd burner and of course, the radeon 9600se.
Ive resorted to using the driver that came packaged with the card but the performance is absolutely horrible, even navigating windows is a pain.
Ive googled on this but havent found anything that can help me. Can anyone here help me out?
Thanks

Since a full reload didn't help it,

Have you tried testing you memory?

Been there. Same exact error message. Above poster is correct, it's due to a memory error (or MB memory slot.) is it a 512 stick or two 256's?

This memory is brand spanking new, the whole system is. The old driver that came with the card works just fine and there is no problem with that particular file, but i cant use it because the performance is piss poor at 1680x1050. I seriously doubt that its my memory because the crashes arent sporadic, they happen as soon as that file (the updated version) is loaded and happen every single time.
But, just in case it is the memory, how can i test it... other than swapping it out?
2x256meg btw.

To test memory, get memtest86, run it overnight

as for the resolution you are running (1680x1050), whay are you running at such a high res? Do you have a widescreen or something? Does it BSOD on lower resolutions?

Thanks, i'll run that program tonight.
I do have a widescreen, a dell 2005fpw.
As for the BSOD, now that you mention it, i think its only happened at 1680x1050. I remember installing the (new) driver a couple of times over the windows default vga driver (at low res). When i went into display properties, all posible resolutions that the card can produce where shown but when i either moved it to 1680x1050 or did a resart, i would get a BSOD. A few times i was able to get a microsoft driver installed running at 1680x1050 and when i went up to the ati driver i'd get an instant BSOD.

I'm sorry. didn't mean to sound so definitive. I did have experience with the exact same crash/error screen and localized the problem to a bad dimm slot on the MB. I would agree with you, if the crashing isn't random it probably isn't the memory. Have you tried a reformat?

Well, i finished my test.
I had 36 errors on test 5 and 2 errors on test 8. I have no idea what they mean. :rolleyes:
But im pissed that i have any errors at all, this is ddr400 mushkin black brand new from newegg, wtf!. :mad:
Anyway, i have some ddr333 that i can swap with, i'll give that a shot..... though i seriously doubt it will make a difference, im convinced theres something wrong with that file.

Yep, tried a format and installed from a fresh copy of windows. The driver was the first thing i installed and as soon as it went in, bang, BSOD. Im tellin you, its that ati file. :p

Jaa-Yoo said:
Well, i finished my test.
I had 36 errors on test 5 and 2 errors on test 8. I have no idea what they mean. :rolleyes:
But im pissed that i have any errors at all, this is ddr400 mushkin black brand new from newegg, wtf!. :mad:
Anyway, i have some ddr333 that i can swap with, i'll give that a shot..... though i seriously doubt it will make a difference, im convinced theres something wrong with that file.

Yep, tried a format and installed from a fresh copy of windows. The driver was the first thing i installed and as soon as it went in, bang, BSOD. Im tellin you, its that ati file. :p

Those errors are not good. You can try taking one of your sticks out at a time and run memtest to see if you can narrow it down to a specific chip or mem slot. I would fix the memory problem first before persuing anything further.

I still think the memory is the most proable cause for your errors.

Hope you can rma the sticks and get some new one. Personally I would have went with Corsair or Kingston...not that Mushkin is bad.

Its too late to rma the memory, i actually bought it before christmas, i just got around to installing it last week. I still think its that damn file, ive googled on it and there are just way too many instances of it causing problems of different sorts. But i agree, i need to swap out that memory to eliminate it as a cause. I think i'll try corsair on my next buy.

Ok, i wont be changing my memory as of right now so ive decided to keep what i have and wait for my new ram to arrive.... even though i dont believe the ram is causing the problem.
Anyway, im gonna use the driver that came packaged with the card, its an older catalyst driver that works, it doesnt cause any BOSDs but it seems to performs horribly. Any time i move windows the grafics tear to shreds, windows fade effect is extremely slow and everything grafical just runs like molasses. Ive turned off all hardware accleration and that improved everything, but i have yet to run any games on this machine so i dont know how anything i might play will hold up. Any reason why hardware acclerations are being affected so badly??

Back