• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ATI x800 xl mod question

crypt1c.0

n00b
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Messages
53
I just bought the ATI x800 XL and would like to put RAM heatsinks on the back of the card but I am not sure what ones to use.
I was looking at either the Zalman alum. heatsink, or something like the wider copper kind. What would you prefer? And would I need something as big as the wide BGA copper heatsinks?
I am not planning to massivly overclock.

Thanks.
 
copper is better at transfering the heat from surface to surface, aluminum is better at transferring the the heat to the air around it. Copper sinks won't do much for you unless you put a fan over them.
 
Thank you for the replies.
Since I am not planning to put a fan over them, and just have passive heatsinks on the RAM I will probably go with the Zalman alum heatsinks.
Does anyone know how much of a difference they will make, compared to just leaving the RAM air cooled?
 
well, the ram on the x800xl gets pretty hot...especially if you're overclocking them and have a voltmod. In fact, i wouldn't recommend even doing a voltmod on them unless you've got decent cooling for the ram.

I gained about 10Mhz on my ram by sinking them. I used an old P233MMX heatsink that I cut and lapped. They're about 1 inch high and I used AS Ceramique to attach them. They seem to work very well.
 
nst6563 said:
copper is better at transfering the heat from surface to surface, aluminum is better at transferring the the heat to the air around it. Copper sinks won't do much for you unless you put a fan over them.

QFT. That is why you see Cu/Al hybrid heatsinks. Properly made, they are damn good. Only problem is that these heatsinks DEGRADE overlife because of the chemical interaction between the Cu and AL.

Cu has a much higher heat capacity than Aluminum but both are thermally conductive. For being near the die you want something that can handle large amounts of heat over a short period of time.

-tReP
 
Back
Top