ATI x1900XTX fan is LOUUUD

chronic9

Supreme [H]ardness
had this kick ass card for 2 - 3 months and now the fan is getting grouchy on me! any game i play it spins up loud. before it never did that. I am thinking of replacing it with accelero X2 or w.e its called. Anyone have a better suggestion b4 i spend 30 bux?

Yea check for dust. If that's not the problem I do recommend the accelero x2. Great cooler.

Another vote for dust. My X850XT PE did this to me too. After about six months, the fan started getting really loud. I opened up the computer and saw a gigantic dust bunny stuck in the heat sink! Used pliers to get it out of the heatsink's ridges and now everything's fine. :)

khanable said:
Yea check for dust. If that's not the problem I do recommend the accelero x2. Great cooler.

No its not. It will heat up your system and especially your motherboard due to its wonky design.

It's probably because the ambient temperature is higher wherever you are keeping your PC - it is almost summer now!

i have central air and my room is around 65 - 70 on a daily basis. i used a electric pump that i use to inflate my air mattres to clean out the dust and WOW. did i have a alot in there...... and this pump is way better then air can, since its free already and its blows with lots of force.

khanable said:
Agreed. Don't have an X1900XTX, but I do have an Accelero X2 on both my X1800 Crossfire Edition card and my X1800XT 256MB card and they're both quiet. It depends if it's a hot day since that will affect room temperatures, but the videocard temps never rise above 75C during gameplay.

Please don't buy an Accelero X2 -- I have one and was quite pleased with it -- UNTIL I tried to remove it....

My thread on the issue

The ram thermal pads are extremely sticky. Won't come off even with extensive heating -- I even used a blow drier and it wouldnt loosen.

I'd stick with something else...

HOWEVER, the stock cooler should be enough. If you think there is something seriously wrong with your card, then you should RMA it.

Back