• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ATI wins Again

Well I couldn't get my 5970 to clock that high. Then again I haven't messed with the voltages as I haven't had time. If I can get mine to run at those speeds, I will. As for the 5970 losing to 5870 Crossfire, I'm again not surprised. The clocks are higher on the 5870. It is as simple as that. Parallelism is just one part of the performance equation. All the streaming processors in the world may not be enough if the application doesn't leverage them. However all things being equal, clock speed always rules for adding performance.

Maybe we need the asus rog 5970 ares to really see if it is the buffer not the clock speed that really killing the normal 5970 crossfire performance.
 
I would imagine the difference has something to do with whatever bridge chip lies between the two GPUs on the 5970s, when comparing one 5970s vs. two 5850s.

Two 5850s, on the x58 chipset, would each have their own x16 PCIE bandwidth, whereas the 5970 has to feed both its GPUs off of one x16.

I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't some driver improvements that could be made to reduce that gap, but two 5850s will probably beat the 5970 unless a particular application makes optimal use of the 5970's shader processor advantage.
 
what would the buffer have to do with this? both the 5970 and 5870 have 1GB/GPU

the rog ares version has 2gb for each cyrpress die therefore more buffer. crossfire does take some frame buffer to manage the interconnection. will having the the added frame buffer plus stock 5870 speed on each cypress die add in the 4x crossfire scalability. though all of this is really hypothetical and that is 2gs worth of gpus for 2 asus rog 5970 ares.
 
Bleh, stop jerking off to bar graph reports and try competing products in actual gaming.

I did. My overclocked GTX 470 is much smoother than my 5870(s) @ 1920x1200 with AA active. Who cares about +15 FPS to averages if you're dealing with hard hitching often. Well, I don't.

[H] found that the 5850 was better at playing games than the GTX 470. Just throwing that out there ;)
 
[H] found that the 5850 was better at playing games than the GTX 470. Just throwing that out there ;)

Where did you see that???

"Looking strictly at performance, these video cards are equal", from the 470 review. :confused:
 
Where did you see that???

"Looking strictly at performance, these video cards are equal", from the 470 review. :confused:

And then they factored in cost and power draw of the GTX 470, and the 5850 was the clear winner :)

The HD 5850 is the clear value winner when compared to the GTX 470.
 
And then they factored in cost and power draw of the GTX 470, and the 5850 was the clear winner :)

Yes, but if you don't care about the $50 price premium for the 470 or the cost of ownership [higher electric bills over its lifetime], then they are about equal in actual performance. And the 470 does offer nvidia specific features. So it might balance out in the minds of some.

Objectively speaking, I'd say the 5850 is still the better value overall though. Physx and 3d vision are not really deciding points for me.

Maybe we need the asus rog 5970 ares to really see if it is the buffer not the clock speed that really killing the normal 5970 crossfire performance.

If you've got $1000 to spend for one card and can get your hands on one of those VERY LIMITED edition cards, then be my guest! I'd love to see your benches! 5970 ROG ARES vs 5870CF vs 480SLI, who will win??
 
If you've got $1000 to spend for one card and can get your hands on one of those VERY LIMITED edition cards, then be my guest! I'd love to see your benches! 5970 ROG ARES vs 5870CF vs 480SLI, who will win??
The card manufacturers. :D
 
A ROG Ares, if priced at $1,000, is the same price as a GTX 480 SLI setup, and that would be a fair comparison that I'd like to see.

Another comparison that I haven't seen is 5870 2GB in crossfire versus GTX 480 SLI; with VRAM buffer a non-issue, this would be another fair comparison, since both setups cost the same (5870 2GB is $500 each last I checked).
 
And then they factored in cost and power draw of the GTX 470, and the 5850 was the clear winner :)

Maybe semantics here, but you said it was better at playing games. Not all the other stuff like cost and power.
 
Maybe semantics here, but you said it was better at playing games. Not all the other stuff like cost and power.

Fair enough.

The 5850 and GTX 470 are equally good at playing games, and the 5870 bests them both easily. :)
 
There comes a time when one stops getting hyped into buying the latest, greatest videocard for marginal gains. Even if you do have all the money in the world, you end up feeling a bit stupid in the end for wasting it away for just a tad bit more performance that doesnt realistically end up changing your gaming experience at all.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top