ATI Trad-up Program??

Bio Hazord

Limp Gawd
I was reading up on the Trade up program and from waht I read it says you trade in your old card for a discounted price on another card? Is this true and have any of you ever used the trade up program?

wocket

n00b
yes, I definately read that on the site as well. I don't see how they can advertise that, and not have it be true. Otherwise people could win masive lawsuits for false advertising.
I'll probably end up trading in my AIW 9800Pro for the next generation cards in about a year or so.

Maxx

[H]ard|Gawd
You can trade ANY card in to ATi and they will give you a reduced price on some of their cards. It's listed on their site.

digiram

[H]ard|Gawd
Originally posted by wocket
yes, I definately read that on the site as well. I don't see how they can advertise that, and not have it be true. Otherwise people could win masive lawsuits for false advertising.
I'll probably end up trading in my AIW 9800Pro for the next generation cards in about a year or so.

nah man. sell me the aiw 9800 pro, and I'll send you a 2mb vid card that you could use for a trade in. When you're ready :)

cthellis

n00b
Yes, basically it makes any P.O.S. video card, working or not, worth $50 when you buy through them.

And considering the program has 9800 Pro's listed at $199, it's nary a bad thing in general. And last I checked, they were offering HL2 coupons with all cards offered through the program, which may still be the case now. Which is at least a nifty bonus no matter when you think the game is coming out. ;) Oh, and getting their full warranty is good too.

Chomp

Gawd
What about if you wanted to go from a 9800pro/xt to one of the next gen cards coming out?

Do you still only get $50?

cthellis

n00b
It's not a refinancing or a trade-in deal here, guys. At the moment it's just a shtick that gets you $50 off what ATi typically charges for certain cards that it includes in the program. If you want to "trade up" a 9800 Pro or XT for the new generation, you basically get to use eBay. :p

Getting a deal on the new X-series cards coming out will depend entirely on if they include them in the program or not. (Stands to reason they'd put at least one or two of the high-end cards there, though.) And you'd still be able to turn in, like, a Voodoo Banshee for the discount if you want, rather than your 9800 Pro. Heh...

At any rate, chances are that you'll get better deals for the new gen shopping around than from ATi directly for the time being. Even now, the only one that looks pretty good is the baseline 9800 Pro--the others you can find better prices for elsewhere by at least a little, and for some an awful lot.

Maxx

[H]ard|Gawd
DF, what do you mean "no"? :rolleyes:

http://www.ati.com/buy/traderebate/tradeup.html

"ATI's trade-up program allows you to upgrade your existing graphic card, no matter who made it, to a new ATI product at an awesome discounted price. ATI will provide a substantial cash credit to your purchase, when you turn-in your current graphics card."

Trade-in price:
RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB AGP $199.00 USD

Therefore, no matter what card you turn in, you get the 9800 Pro for $50 off...or $199.

He asked:
"What about if you wanted to go from a 9800pro/xt to one of the next gen cards coming out?

Do you still only get $50?"

To which I said, "yes." How was I wrong? :p

ohgod

Gawd
I think they might make an exception or they were giving an example. Although it would be nice to turn in my Geforce 256 for $50 , thats like more than its worth lol.

Maxx

[H]ard|Gawd
Originally posted by jsn117
it's called ebay

It's called answering his question. It goes without saying that you're not going to trade in a card worth >$50, but rather sell it elsewhere. :p