I just downloaded the beta 3 version of ATI tool that works with NVIDIA cards, and it's acting weird. First, let me say that Coolbits detects my max clocks at 560/1100. So, I decided to set them back to stock and see what ATI Tool would set them at. It ran it's test for a while, and ended up setting the 3D clock speed to 581.96Mhz before it got an error. So, next it started raising the 2D clock. I waited for ever for it to gradually raise the clock to the same as the 3D clock, 581.96Mhz. When it finally got there, it started acting weird. I saw a yellow dot on the test screen, however it didn't lower the clock speed or report an error, it just kept going with it's heating phases, which kept getting longer and longer, and it's artifact test. After it did this for about ten minutes, with the yellow dot apperaing once every minute or so, and the clockspeeds were not being changed at this point, I started to wonder what was going on. I decided to check the temps, and the GPU temp was up to 95c. I then touched one of the memory chips with my finger to see how hot they were, and when I did that it caused the ATI Tool test to report loads of errors and lower the clockspeed dramatically.
I was tired of waiting for the test to finish anyway, so I stopped it and manually set the clockspeed to 581.96Mhz, which is what ATI Tool said was the max. Then I ran an artifact test, and after a few seconds, it started to get lots of errors. The error didn't stop until I lowered the clockspeed below 570Mhz. BTW, the mem. clock was set to stock during this entire test.
So, I have some questions:
1. Why did the test fail when I touched the mem. chip? I didn't put any pressure or anything, just felt it with my finger. I don't want my games to artifact whenever the PC gets bumped or something.
2. Why did ATI Tool get to 581.96Mhz during the "find max. core" test, but failed above 570Mhz in the artifact test? Shouldn't the autodetect set the clock to something that won't cause artifacting?
3. When ATI Tool had found the limits for all three core clocks (581.96Mhz), why did it keep running, and why did it ignore the ovious artifacts that were appearing every few minutes?
Sorry for the long post. I will try another find max. core test tonight, and see what it does after it's been running for as long as it wants.
I was tired of waiting for the test to finish anyway, so I stopped it and manually set the clockspeed to 581.96Mhz, which is what ATI Tool said was the max. Then I ran an artifact test, and after a few seconds, it started to get lots of errors. The error didn't stop until I lowered the clockspeed below 570Mhz. BTW, the mem. clock was set to stock during this entire test.
So, I have some questions:
1. Why did the test fail when I touched the mem. chip? I didn't put any pressure or anything, just felt it with my finger. I don't want my games to artifact whenever the PC gets bumped or something.
2. Why did ATI Tool get to 581.96Mhz during the "find max. core" test, but failed above 570Mhz in the artifact test? Shouldn't the autodetect set the clock to something that won't cause artifacting?
3. When ATI Tool had found the limits for all three core clocks (581.96Mhz), why did it keep running, and why did it ignore the ovious artifacts that were appearing every few minutes?
Sorry for the long post. I will try another find max. core test tonight, and see what it does after it's been running for as long as it wants.