ATI Silencer 1 or 3?

Dioretsa

n00b
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
Messages
60
I have a regular 9800 Pro 128 MB.

On NewEgg, it says that the ATI Silencer Rev. 1 is for 9800 Pro 128 with Glued Memory Heatsinks. Which I don't have.

It says that the Rev. 3 is for 9800 Pro 256. Which I also don't have.

Anyone know which of these I should get for a regular 128 card?
 
Yes, I have the same exact thing.

Don't remove the shim, as you will prolly crush the core.

Before you power it up, just make sure the heatsink is making good contact with the core.

I attached the silencer to my card and then took it off to make sure it had good contact (could tell from the paste being smushed).

reattach, install the card, flip the fan on high mode and let it go =P
 
Dekar12 said:
Yes, I have the same exact thing.

Don't remove the shim, as you will prolly crush the core.

Before you power it up, just make sure the heatsink is making good contact with the core.

I attached the silencer to my card and then took it off to make sure it had good contact (could tell from the paste being smushed).

reattach, install the card, flip the fan on high mode and let it go =P

Allright, cool. I guess I'm going to get one.
 
yah theyre sweet

get some low profile memory heatsinks as well, they help alot in overclocking video ram
 
Ok... so I got my ATI Silencer Rev. 3 in the mail today... it dosen't fit. How did you guys get yours to fit? The pins don't line up with the holes...
 
uh.....

Can you take a pic, or show us which radeon card you have through a product link?

Cuz, it should really fit. The top bracket the screws kind of jiggle around till you tighten it down so they should move a bit. But it was a perfect fit for mine.
 
Dekar12 said:
That would be why.

you need this one. Which is the Rev. 3 that you mentioned in your first post.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-186-110&depa=0

Those two silencers are meant to fit onto two different pcb configurations.

Arctic Cooling VGA Cooler, Model "ATI silencer 3" is not the Rev. 3. Sorry :(


Yes Im afraid Dekar is right. I get the feeling arctics choice in naming is going to cause alot of issues like this.
 
Yes that should fit fine

like i said investing in some memory sinks wouldnt hurt as well
 
insaneman37 said:
One note though, I did have to take out my dremel and cut out a very small piece of the plastic housing to get it to fit around one little piece on my card.

I'm wondering how many other people have run into this. It looks like I'll have to do a lot of modding of the silencer housing to get it to fit. On the output side of the silencer the plastic casing contacts 3 items (the fan power plug, and two other components). I have a 9800 (not xt, or pro - just a plain 9800) and the heat sink only touches the GPU at one side. The other is held up about 1 mm above the core by these components. I have the "ATI Silencer 1".
 
Silencer 3 and rev 3...damn stupid of AC to help people buy the wrong thing.

BTW. I have a rev3 cooler on a sapphire 9800 Pro. Fits and functions beautifully. No mods were needed to make it fit. Also using Zalman copper ramsinks on it as well.Oced to 440/390 with no increase in voltage. Should make over 450/400 once I really push it.

Hers a pic:

vid card resizedjpg.JPG
 
MikeP said:
Silencer 3 and rev 3...damn stupid of AC to help people buy the wrong thing.

BTW. I have a rev3 cooler on a sapphire 9800 Pro. Fits and functions beautifully. No mods were needed to make it fit. Also using Zalman copper ramsinks on it as well.Oced to 440/390 with no increase in voltage. Should make over 450/400 once I really push it.

Hers a pic:

vid card resizedjpg.JPG


Those OCZ ramsinks on there?

If so thats exactly what my card looks like =P
 
Damn, they are OCZ copper ramsinks. For some reason I was thinking they were a Zalman product...lol.

The whole setup works so well that when I go watercooled in the next week or so I wont be doing the VGA waterblock.
 
Back
Top