ATI rendering support...

Majeztik12

Limp Gawd
Just wondering if ATI still supports "TruForm" with the advent of current pixel shader processes. I have scoured their site, to no avail. Noticed in these older games that it wasn't enabled ..... Command & Conquer: Renegade
Half Life
Neverwinter Nights
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Serious Sam
Serious Sam: 2nd Encounter
Star Wars Galaxies Online
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Does anybody have heads-up on TruForm support.

TruForm was for the Radeon 8500, and was in a way a bit of a precursor to normal maps. I don't think it exists in the drivers anymore, since the 8500 hasn't had a driver update since about 2006.

A lot of NVIDIA or ATI graphics features start off as a proprietary feature, with limited to no adoption by developers (because of it's proprietary nature). Then a lot of times Microsoft takes notice and integrates something like that feature into the next DX API version so that developers don't have to be afraid to support it.

Either that or the feature dies a horrible death because it proved to be useful to no one, or have issues associated with it that developers didn't want to worry about.

Some of the games I listed were awesome. It's sad to go replay those classics, and have those "effects" gone!

TruForm was for the Radeon 8500, and was in a way a bit of a precursor to normal maps. I don't think it exists in the drivers anymore, since the 8500 hasn't had a driver update since about 2006.

The 9700 Pro had it as well.

@OP: TruForm will be making somewhat of a comeback in the form of DX 11's hardware tessellation.

That is strecthing the truth quite far...almost PR strecthing the truth.

I said somewhat. TruForm was basic software/hardware hybrid tessellation. DX 11 is adding full hardware tessellation. But really, DX 11's hardware tessellation is a spiritual successor to TruForm. ATI still has vendor specific hardware tessellation extensions.

Back