ati radeon x850 problem

gotendbz1

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
1,229
hey guys, i think i killed my video card but wanted to know if it could be soemthing else.

asus p4p800-e
p4
radeon x850 pro agp
3gbs ram

whenever i boot to windows xp with the card it will freeze right when the windows xp logo comes on. when i boot to safe mode the screen is all black.

what i do know is that windows does still load and it loads into window ans everythign works, but the display is either frozen on the windows xp logo or the screen just stay black in safe mode. it seem everything is workign except no video is being processed or what not.

so far i have tried both the dvi and vga outputs with no difference, i have reinstalled xp and that hasn;t helped. I'm able to get into bios, i also can boot in XPE and everything works the video and i can even play videos and stuff. i know that in XPE no drivers are loaded for the video card.

but wouldn't it being able to display video liek that make the video card still good?

anyway i think this first started happening when i tried some third party drivers for the or when i upped the agp voltage to 1.6v. either way i would like soem advice or some things i can try to get my card working.
 
I would reinstall the video drivers... preferrably the Omega drivers since they would work for that card.
 
I would reinstall the video drivers... preferrably the Omega drivers since they would work for that card.

I think this might be hard if the computer shows nothing in safe mode and freezes during bootup. To reinstall the video card drivers, he'd probably first have to try reinstalling his operating system.

My suggestion would be if you are able to, to very carefully after making sure you have no static electricity on you, remove your video card and plug it into a backup machine that has the same slot, friends machine or family members machine. Try booting that PC and see if the video card works in your friends, coworker or family members machine. If it boots fine, its more than likely not the video card and some other hardware/software related.

I'd try testing your memory(ram) possibly in the same method as above. If the ram is good too, I'd then recommend you reinstall your os, reinstall drivers, etc.

Hopefully testing the video card in another machine you'll find its a dud and be able to say to the wife/gf. 'OHHH GEEZ. LOOKS LIKE I NEED TO UPGRADE!!! WEEEEEE! and darn it! I really wanted to keep using that card for another year or two :('
 
I think this might be hard if the computer shows nothing in safe mode and freezes during bootup. To reinstall the video card drivers, he'd probably first have to try reinstalling his operating system.

My suggestion would be if you are able to, to very carefully after making sure you have no static electricity on you, remove your video card and plug it into a backup machine that has the same slot, friends machine or family members machine. Try booting that PC and see if the video card works in your friends, coworker or family members machine. If it boots fine, its more than likely not the video card and some other hardware/software related.

I'd try testing your memory(ram) possibly in the same method as above. If the ram is good too, I'd then recommend you reinstall your os, reinstall drivers, etc.

Hopefully testing the video card in another machine you'll find its a dud and be able to say to the wife/gf. 'OHHH GEEZ. LOOKS LIKE I NEED TO UPGRADE!!! WEEEEEE! and darn it! I really wanted to keep using that card for another year or two :('

lol yea man

but i got it to work with the omega drivers after i removed all other drivers. once i get it work and i restart , the problem happens again. the weird thing is the video just doesn't load. I can remote desktop to the pc and everythign works fien but the vidoe card.

With the omega driver the video card shows up in device manager fine. thi sis really bugging me cuz the 2 times i had it up and running everything works. but onc ei reboot same crap agian.
 
Back
Top