ATI Radeon X1950 Pro

schizo said:
I guess winning that $199 pricepoint is incredibly important. Seems odd, especially today when an additional $50 will get a lot more performance for your dollar.

Anyway, thanks for comparing the x1950pro to one of the factory-overclocked 7900gs cards. Most other sites didn't do that and trumpeted ati's 20% speed advantage, etc. Deceptive stuff.
Yeah, I'm personally not a fan of this when the full blown x1900 xt exists with more pipes and higher clocks.

XtremeGear has the 512mb DDR3 card priced for preorder at $199.
3day shipping is $11.67 making a total of $210.67 delivered.
However they do have the ATI version priced at $299 and is in stock.
Exactly like NewEgg for the same card.
These cards are in stock and can be shipped Monday.
I don't get it why NewEgg or XtremeGear is getting $100. over msrp on a card just because it is in stock and ready to ship.
Don't seem right to me.
Anyway I have preordered the ASUS 512mbDDR3 card w/3yr warranty for the $210.67.
I plan on calling Monday to verify if they know when these cards will be available for shippment.
ZipZoomFly does show 4 of these cards 3 @ $229.00 and the ASUS @ $249.00.
None of these cards are in stock, all must be preordered.

Majestic12 said:
Yeah, I'm personally not a fan of this when the full blown x1900 xt exists with more pipes and higher clocks.

Yea, just think about this.
The XTX sells for a msrp of $449.00, most venders are getting closer to $500. for this card.
You can buy the X1900XTX from ATI's site right now for $399.99.
The XPro msrp is $199.00 and if you read the review posted on HardOCP, you can see that this new GPU "80nm" runs cooler and performs about as well as the XT.
In tandam the crossfire outperforms the SLI nVidia of 2xGF7950 GT OC cards.
Loads quicker and runs higher framerates and much cooler than the SLI setup.
In one game the SLI setup does beat the Crossfire setup in frame rates.
But the editor states the crossfire produces a much smoother game play than the SLI setup, as the crossfire has much clearer screens, shadows etc.

bobyjo said:
XtremeGear has the 512mb DDR3 card priced for preorder at $199.
3day shipping is $11.67 making a total of $210.67 delivered.
However they do have the ATI version priced at $299 and is in stock.
Exactly like NewEgg for the same card.
These cards are in stock and can be shipped Monday.
I don't get it why NewEgg or XtremeGear is getting $100. over msrp on a card just because it is in stock and ready to ship.
Don't seem right to me.
Anyway I have preordered the ASUS 512mbDDR3 card w/3yr warranty for the $210.67.
I plan on calling Monday to verify if they know when these cards will be available for shippment.
ZipZoomFly does show 4 of these cards 3 @ $229.00 and the ASUS @ $249.00.
None of these cards are in stock, all must be preordered.

I did call XPCGear this morning, they have NO idea of when this ASUS X1950 Pro 512 card will be available. The only card they have in stock is the ATI version.
I do not want to wait till when NEVER to get a card, so I cancelled.
Ordered the ATI card from ZZF.
Cost $70.00 more with the free shipping, but it is in stock and can be shipped today.

Agh. Can't decide between the sapphire x1950pro for 200 or one of the 7900gs's that i'm seeing for 160ar on newegg. Really want that vivo and ati is known to be real good at it. But vivo for $40??

Where the heck are the 512mb ones? I'd like one or two to replace my 512mb 7900GT until R600 or its refresh comes out. I was looking at stepping up to an 8800GTS, but since eVGA screwed me over on my Step Up that's not looking likely anymore (they expired my elgibility 1 day early and insist it expired yesterday although the website said my time limit was up on Thursday).

I did just trade in my P5N SLI for a P5W-DH Deluxe, so why not go back to ATi and/or give CrossFire a shot again. The x1950 Pro looks like a good place to start :)

So... if it's going to be at the $199 USD pricepoint, why oh why is it listed on ATi's website at $299?

Because ATI would rather you buy it from a vendor such as Newegg, ZZF, ect. By lowering prices in their own store, it makes them competition for their vendors, and since they have an abundant supply of cards it gives them an advantage over their vendors. Angry vendors = bad.

Went from A64 3200, MSI Neo2 Platinum, x800xt 256agp to fx-55, a8r32-mvp deluxe, and dual x1950pro's for CF right away. It's night and day between the old and the new. just need newer drivers (6.10's don't support the x1950pro). Right now I am getting between 6500-7500 in 3dmark06 (depending on amount of CPU and VID OC), FRAPS says NFS carbon has a low of 26, high of 86, avg of 58 (at 1400x1050 @ MAX ALL SETTINGS). Now I just need a bigger and better case than my antec sonata...looking at the nine hundred pretty seriously. The noise won't bug me..400W speakers kind of reduces the amount that I hear the airflow...heh.

sabregen said:
Went from A64 3200, MSI Neo2 Platinum, x800xt 256agp to fx-55, a8r32-mvp deluxe, and dual x1950pro's for CF right away. It's night and day between the old and the new. just need newer drivers (6.10's don't support the x1950pro). Right now I am getting between 6500-7500 in 3dmark06 (depending on amount of CPU and VID OC), FRAPS says NFS carbon has a low of 26, high of 86, avg of 58 (at 1400x1050 @ MAX ALL SETTINGS). Now I just need a bigger and better case than my antec sonata...looking at the nine hundred pretty seriously. The noise won't bug me..400W speakers kind of reduces the amount that I hear the airflow...heh.

If you want, visit ATI's driver download, and after you select the Radeon Drivers.
On the same page for the 6.10's, you will see a link to the X1950 line of cards.
Click on that link and the X1950 drivers are there for download.

thanks, but that link is the replacement hacked 6.9's that came on the retail CD's with the cards. It is not the new 6.10's. Guess I'm waiting for 6.11 or whatever is next.

Some people on the NCIX.com forums are saying the 7950 is better than the 1950 Pro?? Reviews seem to indicate otherwise.

The x1950pro is technically superior to the 7950.

It may be a tad faster at some things... but it is at reduced quality.

The x1950 has a unified shader architecture, it has a larger DX feature set, and it has higher quality filtering algorithms.

I would not mind sacrificing a couple FPS knowing I got a higher quality GPU.

I like nvidia, but the whole 7 series was not much more then a refresh of the 6800. The x1x00 series from ATI was an entirely new technology from their previous generations.

Not only that, but there wasn't anything added to the 79xx besides a smaller die size compared to the 7800. The x1900 series added quite alot to the already advanced x1800.

ATI has also done alot of work to get their drivers up to snuff... I hope their R600 release is not a technical disaster like the 8800.

Yes it is!

How do you think you can get Folding@Home working on the x1x00 cards?

None of the X1K chips are a unified architecture, sorry. Their pixel shader processors can only do pixel shader programs (48 of them), their vertex shaders are separate (8 of them), and there is no geometry shaders.

Back