ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 @ [H]

I just bought that card as well from a member here , it is one of the best things I have done for my computer.
Although I am hit with that damn DVI no video bug.

What DVI bug are you referring to? I imagine most people run their LCDs using the DVI port. What's the bug you're talking about? I'm looking to purchase a new vid card in the next few weeks, and right now it's either the 4870 1gb or the new 260GTX.

Thanks.

No power consumption tests then? :(

Yeah, is there any plan to look at power consumption on these cards? Really most interested in the 260 and the 4870. Given that I think the 260 spanks the 4870 in power consumption, that might play a role in the decision.

What the hell, while I'm wishing, it would be nice to get some comments on the relative noise levels of the cards.

Enough of that, really nice review.

It seems that this new BIOS has lower voltages which resulted in lower temperatures and lower power consumption according to some people and one review.

confirmed? i too would like to know this for i'm looking to get a new card. plz for sum info on this.

confirmed? i too would like to know this for i'm looking to get a new card. plz for sum info on this.

Bit-tech review shows lower idle and load power consumption, tech-report shows only lower idle power consumption (but that one is a little shaddy performance-wise).

Some people (especially at spcr) reported lower temperatures (really lower) with some of the newer BIOS floating around the Internet (which have lower voltages).

Yep, a crossfire issue, it would do just what the 512MB 4870 would do when AA was enabled on it, play smooth then slow down suddenly, then speed up again, it caused us to crash our car, thus making unplayable at 8X AA.

Interesting. it a good thing that Nvidia is coming out with the die shrink as the 4870 seems to be closing in on the GTX280. of course if they fixed the crossfire issues it wouldn't matter at all

I don't understand how the 260 is usually the fastest in the highest playable comparison, and then suddenly in the apples to apples section it starts getting its ass kicked?

I don't understand how the 260 is usually the fastest in the highest playable comparison, and then suddenly in the apples to apples section it starts getting its ass kicked?

Different resolutions and AA/AF settings.

Wow. Make one editing error and you flip out? I am removing the offensively worded line now so in hopes that you will chill the fuck out. You guys can be real dicks sometimes. Ever think about asking a question civily instead of the outburst? - Kyle

Kyle, you hit it on the head. Ive said it a dozen times , people tend to forget their manners when online and say shit that would get their ass handed to them in real life.

Surprisingly semi-fair review. The 4870 1GB card really does smoke the GTX260 in Race Driver Grid. I still think overrall as far as price/performance goes, the GTX260 core 192 at $199 is a better buy...though the 4870 1GB is certainly impressive. I don't see why people are surprised that this card doesn't perform better in Crysis as Crysis favors Nvidia Cards.

different testing methodology. depends on how you test. run lower resolution with lots of AA and watch the 4870 nip at the GTX280. H video reviews do tend to favor Nvidia cards but then again most of us play the games like that, at the possible highest settings. For real my only issue with H reviews is that they don;t include a rating that is resolutions limited. (on occasion they do, H value comparison) For instance telling us that you can runs something @ 4mp at such rating isn't always comparable to running it @ 2.3mp, (where most of us are limited to)

Anyone know where or when Palit's 1GB Sonic version will be available? Or when Asus will be releasing their Dark Knight version? I'd like to have the extra memory,but want a card with something better than the reference cooling.

By any chance did you also test Warhead in Dx9 mode? On dedicated Crysis forums the general consensus is Dx10 in Warhead is broken and you get better and more consistent performance from Dx9 running the same settings (you can now enable "enthusiast" under Dx9, unlike the original crysis where you had to mod the configs).

Thanks for the nice review. My next card will definitely be a 4870 1GB.

thanks for this Review [H]ardocp, I received my 4870 1gig on monday and im totally in love :)

Went well with the Antec 850 PSU i just bought, Thanks to your PSU review of it as well, This is why I check out this website everyday, makes shopping that much easier.

Shitty

thanks for this Review [H]ardocp, I received my 4870 1gig on monday and im totally in love :)

Went well with the Antec 850 PSU i just bought, Thanks to your PSU review of it as well, This is why I check out this website everyday, makes shopping that much easier.

Shitty

I bet it looks incredible on that 28". But why do you say it's "Shi**y"?? Or is that just like your "mini sig".

I bet it looks incredible on that 28". But why do you say it's "Shi**y"?? Or is that just like your "mini sig".

Alot of my old IRC buddies call me shitty, as a nickname for DASHlT. Been using the SN since quake2 lithium days.....yea im an oldtime gamer at 30 :(

This is slightly off-topic to how this card performs in games, but I just got a Powercolor 4870 1GB and using the hot-fix catalyst 8.10s (haven't tried other versions of catalyst) I tried to use auto-tune in ati overdrive. It ran for awhile and gave me some values. I am coming from using an 8800GT so not really knowing the clocks like I should have, I just tried to use the values auto-tune gave me. Turns out they artifacted so fast (at the desktop!!, I'm using Aero) I couldn't fix it until I did safe-mode and modded the xml file and rebooted. Does auto-tune only do this to me? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

This is slightly off-topic to how this card performs in games, but I just got a Powercolor 4870 1GB and using the hot-fix catalyst 8.10s (haven't tried other versions of catalyst) I tried to use auto-tune in ati overdrive. It ran for awhile and gave me some values. I am coming from using an 8800GT so not really knowing the clocks like I should have, I just tried to use the values auto-tune gave me. Turns out they artifacted so fast (at the desktop!!, I'm using Aero) I couldn't fix it until I did safe-mode and modded the xml file and rebooted. Does auto-tune only do this to me? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I wouldn't use autotune. Auto tune doesn't really "know" how it looks and how well it runs, just if in testing whether it crashes or not. Just do incremental bumps with the tool and test it in a favorite game with as high of settings as you can. If it runs stable and doesn't artifact or overheat, you're good to go. I would never trust autotune. You are usually a lot smarter than a free software tool. My two bits.

Does anyone has the Sapphire HD 4870 1GB with the Toxic looking cooler? It won't even appear on their webpage. It's not a toxic card because it runs at stock clocks, but runs as cool as the Toxic version, and doesn't have copper pipes. Does anyone found any info on that card? I can't find any.

I purchased one last week at Newegg. Price dropped and a rebate released the next day of course.
Here is the site and reviews by other owners:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102801

I moved up from two X1950 Pro's in Crossfire as I had enough of Crossfire for the time being. I wanted something quiter than the standard HD4870. I came very close to buying an HIS HD4850 with the IceQ4 cooler, but glad I waited as I have been happy with this Sapphire model. I have not tried overclocking it as that would require a higher fan speed. with the 8.10 driver, I have the fan at 40% as that is the highest it will go before it is louder than my other fans. Having performance problems with some older DX9 games such as NFS Most Wanted and Carbon. Grid works very well now. I get the feeling that ATI still needs to optimize their drivers for the HD4000 series.

Nice review! :) I'm really hoping to get a 4870 1GB for Christmas this year to replace my 8800GT. The GT is showing it's age on 1920x1200 res...

Oh my God, it keep going down in price, I paid 299 for it two weeks ago!!, luckily enough, Newegg did a price match with me and it cost me 279.99, but wow, in less than three weeks, the card's price fell from 309.00 to 264.99 (249.99 after MIR), shesh, I should've waited longer, but I couldn't since I didn't have other videocard besides the HD 3850 AGP :p

Back