• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ati Radeon 5870 & 4830

its4thecolony

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 27, 2010
Messages
118
Hey, guys so I'm not that up to date with computer as I'd like to be, but recently I've been reading that people have 2 different brand video cards like an ATI 5850 card with an nVidia GTS card. What I'm wondering is what exactly is the purpose. I know people SLI and Crossfire, but with the same brand and series card, I never heard of having 2 completely different card in one machine. On that note can I put my 5870 and 4830 in the same rig and will I get any kind if performance improve?
 
no the 4800 series and the 5800 series are built on different architectures... so crossfire will not work between the two
 
There are three reasons you mix video cards:

1. You want more monitors than your video card has outputs, so you plug-in the separate video card.

2. You want Physx acceleration from an Nvidia card while using an ATI card to render game graphics.

3. You are building a Folding rig, where you do not need to have the exact same video cards to have them both perform folding in-parallel.
 
Back
Top