ATI Radeon 3870

Headcase

Limp Gawd
Ok, so as I go to upgrade my card, I want to know what the general viewpoint on my current card, the 3870. What do you guys think about it? Was it good at the time, (though obliviously outdated now)? Is it solid for Crossfire? Pros? Cons? I figured I'd gather some info on it outside of the Newegg reviews/articles for it.

It was fine for its day. I don't know what you want to know about it..

Pros: It was top of the line for its day for single gpu cards.
Cons: It was slower than Nvidia's offerings at the same time.
Crossfire: Solid? Sure.. Worked fine.

I don't understand the point of this thread.

Why don't you just ask yourself if it plays the games you want to play at the settings you want?

I have a 3870 in my work PC. It's fine, even for Source engine games at 1920x1200. It's a good value now, and was still a good deal when it came out 2 years ago. I also don't see the point of this thread, really. Why are you upgrading?

I have a 3870 in my work PC. It's fine, even for Source engine games at 1920x1200. It's a good value now, and was still a good deal when it came out 2 years ago. I also don't see the point of this thread, really. Why are you upgrading?

Just built a new rig, and the only thing I didn't upgrade on it was my GPU. Now, I'm getting around to getting a new one, but I'm not sure at what price I should sell it for. Since I'll usually only get a response out of hardcore techies (in terms of selling it), I want to know what you guys thought of the card, from other people that owned it. I don't trust Newegg reviews, most of them have no idea what they are talking about. I wanted a more professional opinion on my card. I have my own opinion on it, but if everyone else thinks it blows, I'll never sell it for the price I want to. Or, if it's more well respected than I believe, then I can hike the price up. I just wanted peoples overall opinions on it.

What people HERE think has nothing to do with that the card can sell for (unless you sell it on the forums, but then that is just fishing), there is junk that sells for crazy prices on ebay, check there if you want to know what they are selling for used. But I would not expect more than 60 bucks, since I have seen 4850's on the forums selling for 75 shipped and is a far better card.

What people HERE think has nothing to do with that the card can sell for (unless you sell it on the forums, but then that is just fishing), there is junk that sells for crazy prices on ebay, check there if you want to know what they are selling for used. But I would not expect more than 60 bucks, since I have seen 4850's on the forums selling for 75 shipped and is a far better card.

Sounds good. Will do.
Go ahead and close this.

I went from a 3870 512 to a 5770 1gb and I'm loving it. Crazy boost of performance in GTA4, while in Warhammer Online I didn't notice much - it is the minimum framerate that counts after all.

Back