ATi R680 Radeon HD 3870 X2 Review

Looks like the card did pretty well overall vs the GTX ultra, waiting for some prices and I will probably get one when it comes out later this month or next month. Below is a translated page that explains the card won 17 out of 13 and seems those are probably due to driver issues perhaps performance will increase, overall from looking at the charts it looks like a solid piece of high end hardware from ATI (Finally!!!) ;)

Well, to sum up the time. 从这次与GeForce 8800Ultra的对比评测中,Radeon HD 3870 X2在17项评测中赢得了其中的13项。 From this comparison with the GeForce 8800Ultra evaluation, the Radeon HD 3870 X2 in 17 test, which won 13. Lost in several projects, including Need for Speed 11 of the AA / AF can be judged for the evaluation of the influence or drive version of the game, and in the evaluation of Crysis, as Crysis Ver1.1 is the latest patches version, I believe that R680 optimization has not yet reached its best effect, I believe that by optimizing the drive, the Radeon HD ATi 3870 X2 can achieve better performance and the loss nVIDIA the strengths of this planet, R680 in 1920 * 1200 Under the resolution also guarantees basic smooth operation has been quite good. 而在其他13项的测试中,Radeon HD 3870 X2都基本能保持较为明显的领先优势。 In the other 13 tests, the Radeon HD 3870 X2 are basic to maintain the more obvious advantage. 下面我们来看看R680对8800Ultra整体性能分析。 Below we look at the 8800 Ultra R680 overall performance analysis.

ATi really needs to do some Crysis tuning. X2 is looking great otherwise! Can't wait to see how quadfire does!!

Looks like the card did pretty well overall vs the GTX ultra, waiting for some prices and I will probably get one when it comes out later this month or next month. Below is a translated page that explains the card won 17 out of 13 and seems those are probably due to driver issues perhaps performance will increase, overall from looking at the charts it looks like a solid piece of high end hardware from ATI (Finally!!!) ;)

Well, to sum up the time. 从这次与GeForce 8800Ultra的对比评测中,Radeon HD 3870 X2在17项评测中赢得了其中的13项。 From this comparison with the GeForce 8800Ultra evaluation, the Radeon HD 3870 X2 in 17 test, which won 13. Lost in several projects, including Need for Speed 11 of the AA / AF can be judged for the evaluation of the influence or drive version of the game, and in the evaluation of Crysis, as Crysis Ver1.1 is the latest patches version, I believe that R680 optimization has not yet reached its best effect, I believe that by optimizing the drive, the Radeon HD ATi 3870 X2 can achieve better performance and the loss nVIDIA the strengths of this planet, R680 in 1920 * 1200 Under the resolution also guarantees basic smooth operation has been quite good. 而在其他13项的测试中,Radeon HD 3870 X2都基本能保持较为明显的领先优势。 In the other 13 tests, the Radeon HD 3870 X2 are basic to maintain the more obvious advantage. 下面我们来看看R680对8800Ultra整体性能分析。 Below we look at the 8800 Ultra R680 overall performance analysis.

Thanks...

Actually, I'm a big fan and user of Babelfish, but I forgot they can do Chinese. Thanks ;)

ATi really needs to do some Crysis tuning. X2 is looking great otherwise! Can't wait to see how quadfire does!!

This was to be expected, seeing as the last Crysis update JUST started improving multi-gpu performance. Also, the fact that this is a "Way it's Meant to be Played" titled, it's not surprising that nVidia would have the upper hand on this one.

I am going to feel sick to my stomach if these things turn out to be in the $400 range. Since I was thinking of waiting, but jumped the gun on an 8800gt a few weeks ago.

I am going to feel sick to my stomach if these things turn out to be in the $400 range. Since I was thinking of waiting, but jumped the gun on an 8800gt a few weeks ago.

Hehehe, isn't that how it always goes?

Man that sucks. I'd like to see more benches. More specifically, I want to see crysis benchmarks run at VERY HIGH with at least 8x AF and at least 1920x1200 res. I guess I like to know the point where a video card absolutely pukes. Crysis is currently THE game that does this when you don't take the medium settings road.

first of all crytek must learn how to optimise games plus add some support for multi gpu especially for ati side and stop being nvidia slave

I dunno. I have a hard time sympathizing with the whole multi-GPU thing. Since today's multi GPU setups demand a lot more money, a lot more driver support, and a lot more software support. It used to be hard enough to get good drivers just for single cards. Now this too. I really don't blame crytek for lack of optimization. They made it perform relatively well on single cards, and beyond that, I figure the greater share of the headache belongs to ATI and nVidia.

If the card doesn't perform, it doesn't perform. That's the bottom line with me. I don't need to see excuses.

news_gec3870x2_04s_full.JPG

nice one :D

first of all crytek must learn how to optimise games plus add some support for multi gpu especially for ati side and stop being nvidia slave

Is it the game? Or is it simply because we're all playing Crysis on video cards that were made a whole year ago...technology hasn't improved since.

I don't think Crytek is the problem here, it's Radeon with the lack of competition and Nvidia for holding back. Oh and they both suck at drivers.

http://images.tweaktown.com/imagebank/news_gec3870x2_04s_full.JPG

nice one :D[/QUOTE]

Very nice, four DVI inputs, one card :D

It wont be very long, AMD has it is own GPU and intel is about to get one. Nvidia is like a hooker being kicked to the curb now. It was fun for nvidia while ATI was busy with its merging business though.

Are there any indications of what the MSRP will be for this thing? I've heard 400 to 500 USD, but without anything official.

Unless I read incorrectly, Tom's has the HD 3870X2 set at 586 USD. That's more than two HD 3870s, so wouldn't it be more cost efficient to CrossFire and save? Then again, Tom's isn't always correct with its pricing.

Tom's pricing reflects Australian dollars I believe, hence the Ultra is at like $800ish for them.

That's awsome. It also means that the HD 3870X2 stands a chance of being in the sub 500 range in US markets, since AU tends to have prices 20% to 30% higher even after exchange on high end tech.
EDIT: I'll eat my head in joy if this card goes to like 450 USD; but I can dream, can't I?

It wont be very long, AMD has it is own GPU and intel is about to get one. Nvidia is like a hooker being kicked to the curb now. It was fun for nvidia while ATI was busy with its merging business though.

ATI did a good job of topping Nvidia, but in no way do I think that it signals a change of power. If you look closely the new 8800GTS 512 is a card that was crippled by design, It beats out the 8800Ultra in most every way but it's still slower 1. to justify the lower price, 2. because they don't want to step on the toes of the people who paid top $ for there ultras. and 3 they don't want to lessen the thunder of the 9XXX cards that are on the way. (IMO)

Honestly I don't care who is making the best card as long as there is competition to keep the innovation up and the price down. And I applaud ATI for taking back the crown if not briefly. But do not jump at this card like it's the Second coming of Christ, this is a well planed "squeeze everything you can out of what we've got" grab at some profits. ATI is banking on all the starved Fanboys emptying there wallets for these so they can turn a small profit.

Good to see from the Tom's review, as much as I cringed reading it, that Crossfire is most definitely working in basically every game. Maybe the two GPU's on one board instead of 2 boards stuck together has some very tangible advantages? So far it's looking good. Now just to see the prices....

arg, why isnt it out? i have all my computer parts ready... minus the card... I really wisg it would come out tonight like planned!

It got taken down because supposedly the NDA has been pushed back along w/ release to where it originally was, 1/28, in order to accommodate larger volumes of cards + the next release of drivers to optimize the card (and get tastier reviews I'm sure). Hopefully CrossFireX will work then too!

Fudzilla says its going to be 410-430 euros which is around $580-600 US.

Hope not, if ATI wants to sell these rather than people just buying two 3870's it's going to have to be a LOT cheaper than that... going price is about $250 for one, so I would say ~$450 would be ideal.... IF they want to sell these :rolleyes:

Once again Toms shows why they suck. They said it has a 512 bus in their review. Wonder if they will notice and fix it when its put back up. Should have taken a screen shot. :eek:

Considering ATI seems to be moving forward with the whole "multi-gpu" way of thinking, I'm sure the drivers will be fine. I am waiting to see the difference with these new Crossfire-X drivers, everyone seems to be clamoring about them improving crossfire greatly. Who knows, when the reviews really get released next week, it may be with the new drivers. We shall see...

Wow that card is a beast. But i think ill grab another 512 hd3850 later on this year and be fine.

Back