ATI Problem - ati2dvag.dll

xuerebx

Limp Gawd
Over the past few months I sometimes get a BSOD telling me that the system had to shutdown to prevent any serious errors. I restarted and everything went on fine. This could have happened once in 1-2 weeks. Today I turned on the computer and I got a BSOD immediately after booting up. The "ati2dvag.dll" was the problem, and something about an "infinite loop". I tried restarting for 5 times but the same thing happened over and over again.

So I booted up in safe mode and did some searches on the internet. This seems to be a problem bugging thousands of people. it's some sort of bug. Well I uninstalled and installed the latest ATI drivers yet I still got the BSOD. Then I restarted again and this time everything was fine (in fact I'm typing up this post).

I've got a feeling that the same thing will/might happen again sometime soon, and I hope I can prevent this. The problem is that every search yields results from 2002-2004, while I found just 2-3 posts in 2007 (from various computer forums). So I'm kinda stuck, and was hoping some of you on here know about this problem, and maybe they can help me prevent this, somehow.

Apart from uninstalling/installing new drivers (and yes, I made sure that the previous drivers were uninstalled completely, used the ATI removal tool too), I also followed this advice:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Right click on My Computer
Choose Properties
Choose the Hardware(Tab)
Choose Device Manager(button)
Click the [+] next to System devices
Right click on CPU to AGP Controller
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Choose the Update Driver(button)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
Choose Next(button)
Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install."
Choose Next(button)
Select PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Hit Next(button)
Hit Finish(button)
Reboot.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Note that I'm not a computer wiz, I'm just the average guy trying to make things work rather than get someone over here and pay him to do the job :p[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thank you.[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Have you tried to use another video card? I am somewhat puzzled.. Did this issue just start to happen? I see from your sig that you have a 1950, so youve probably had it for a while. Did the problem start occuring when you upgraded drivers?

I haven't got another video card, though this problem started occurring randomly. The first time it showed up I had a month or two old drivers installed, so no, the problem didn't show up after I upgraded a driver.

A search on the internet shows that this thing hasn't only happened to me, because at first I was worried that my graphics card was faulty. Also, if it means anything, I installed the latest drivers yesterday and installed Fallout 3, and been running it with no problems what so ever.

So I think for now the problem has been shifted aside. Hopefully.

Back