ATI Prepping GPU Refresh for 2H 2010

not quite sure where you get that

"ATI have tested 28nm with GF and doing good so far", this seems to be a huge FUD there...

I highly doubt GF can even make them yet..

maybe i wasnt clear i didnt say ATI is already making their new gpus with them i meant to say that they have seen the tests done for 28nm and probably even tested it themselves

unless you mean to say that GF can not make 28nm, they already can make 28nm wafers

first up, back in may 2009 they showed it was possible and had early test wafers on display

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/05/31/global-foundries-shows-28nm-wafers/

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/...7_Globalfoundries_Demos_28nm_32nm_Wafers.html

then
back in back in january of this year they had early advanced structures tests done
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/01/09/global-foundries-28nm-wafer-spotted/

all those tests were done to show possible clients that the process is close to perfected and showing that the 28nm process is doing well
making it possible for clients to TEST and see what's possible so they can begin designing the chip or making changes to their design as they see fit

(btw TSM showed their early 28nm tests much later than globalfoundries, in june or july last year)

One GPU generation lasts about 18months, and theres a refresh halfway through life, so to everyone who is complaining because they just bought a card, this was to be expected and you should have expected it too.

There was not anyone really complaining, but you are correct. 2 - 4 months from now would be the normal time frame for a refresh based on when the 5xxx series launched.

It was just weird that they were increadibly quiet about this, usually we hear about the refresh earlier.

So, I'm glad to hear the 28nm parts from TSMC might have survived and we get a refresh, should be interesting...

They say "second half of next year." Does that mean fiscal year, and if so is that like 2011 or...?

That's a good point and the first thing i noticed in...

* Considering the fact that the call was dedicated to AMD’s financial results in the Q4 of fiscal 2009, the AMD executive referred to the second half of fiscal 2010 as to the “next year”, which is basically the second half of calendar 2010

I know some people make their fiscal years follow calendar years but most fiscal years start and end in June. So right now is the 2nd half of fiscal 2010 and after june is the first half of fiscal 2011.

Either way I hope they do something like a 5875 and 5855 and drive the prices of the 5870 and 5850's down a bit more.

The heck with the bleeding edge, The scabbing edge is just fine with me if I can save some coin.

:D

i hope they dont make the branding reroll more confusing that nvidia does each time.

9800=8800gt=240 blah blah who even cares.

I don't see why so many people are complaining on these forums about having bought a 5870 recently, etc. Second half of the year means we won't see it in May or June, right? Since those months are still in the first half of the year. We're talking July or August probably and possibly later.

Second half of the year could easily be a positive marketing speak for Q4 2010 since Q4 is still in the 2nd half of 2010. If you bought a 5870, you'll be able to use it for at least 2 months before your refresh comes out and if you are waiting on the refresh, remember that the refresh will probably only be about 10% faster and might be at a 10% price increase. So your probably not losing anything by purchasing now versus waiting for 2 months in terms of value per dollar.

You can bet almost anything that crossfire 5870s will be likely substantially faster than any of the refreshes when decently overclocked. If you bought one 5870 now, that might be in your interest was when the freshes comes, you might be able to get a second 5870 for cheap.

So would I be able to Crossfire with my current HD5850, and a new refreshed 5850?

The answer is probably yes. If the number of shaders, etc are all equal and the refresh just has a higher clockspeed then there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to. The trick those is that the two cards probably can't operate at different frequencies. So, the refresh would just downclock itself to the original card's speed or you would need to overclock the original card to the refresh's speed.

The answer is probably yes. If the number of shaders, etc are all equal and the refresh just has a higher clockspeed then there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to. The trick those is that the two cards probably can't operate at different frequencies. So, the refresh would just downclock itself to the original card's speed or you would need to overclock the original card to the refresh's speed.

Ah, so probably better to try to pick up a lightly used older 5850. A waste with the downclock.

great, just in time for me to finally build a new desktop this fall!!

I might have $2k to spend!!! :D

maybe even do some Eyeinfinity if I budget hardcore

great, just in time for me to finally build a new desktop this fall!!

I might have $2k to spend!!! :D

maybe even do some Eyeinfinity if I budget hardcore

There is no "maybe." Eyefinity is freakin great. :D

So wait...are we just going to see clock speed increases on 40nM or is it going to be something more radical?

There is no "maybe." Eyefinity is freakin great. :D

let's just put it this way, six core processor, new ATI refresh

AMD is gonna be getting my money this fall/winter when their new products come out!

i'm very glad I waited this long even if it's not very [H] of me to wait so long

So wait...are we just going to see clock speed increases on 40nM or is it going to be something more radical?

if you mean the hybrid/refresh of the 5xxx series yeah small increase in performance nothing too big but something more likely to bring it right on par with the 480's or maybe a little more but nothing definite just theoretical atm

ATI has been a bit more radical with their refreshes being more then just "upped" clocks in previous cards, look at the X1950XTX, the HD3870 and the HD4890, all of those had a bit more then just increased clocks

there probably won't be much of a clock increase, in my opinion, i just hope the drivers improve some performance after it and are stable, that is ALL i ask, I can live with it being incrementally more powerful, as long as I have good solid drivers.

They're just making one maximized node at each step to maximize profit and return on investment while hopefully leap-frogging the competition at each introduction. The thing is though, Moore's Law is supposed to kick everyone in the face at 18nm and slow down introduction of new nodes. IBM/GF will have a node at 18, TSMC will not. While TSMC may be out first with 20nm while GF is on 22nm (and perhaps testing 18nm), I would not have high hopes on them producing a well-working 14nm process any time largely before GF hits 16nm. There will likely be a time when GF has 18nm and TSMC is stuck on 20. It sounds good now, but we'll have to wait to see how it pans out.

Hope that helps a little...good synopsis of the situation though!

Oh noes, the transistor will stop scaling!

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/02/04/s...e-limit-the-laws-of-physics.html?pagewanted=1

Back