ATI PowerPlay Issue

Jza

Weaksauce
Hello. For some reason my notebooks settings for ATI's PowerPlay feature isn't working correctly. I want the X1400 to run in power saving mode at all times. However it will only do this if I go into Catalyst Control Center and UNCHECK "Enable PowerPlay" and then check it back in again. It works fine every time I do that. Of course I don't want to have to do that. Any ideas? Does anyone know what data file or registry entry that check box alters so I can dig into the problem further?

Why won't PowerPlay stay enabled?

I have the EXACT same problem with the EXACT same card in my laptop. Powerplay will work when I unplug my laptop from its power cord while running or when I suspend it while its plugged in and resume it when its on battery. It won't work when I suspend and resume the laptop when it's running off its battery.

I am running 8.10 drivers that were modified by the Mobility Modder software on Vista Business. I'll update my drivers sometime today but if that doesn't work it will be nice to see if someone else on this board finds a solution.

EDIT: Nope, updating to 8.12 didn't help at all. :(

Hey Bob. I messed around and found my problem. Hopefully it helps you, but I use XP Pro. I also have been using 8.12 (thank god I found the direct FTP link on AMD, DELL supplied X1400 drivers are YEARS old).

Apparently the "Ati Hotkey Poller" service doesn't only apply to the Hot Key feature I never use in the Catalyst Control Center. It also is necessary for PowerPlay to do its thing without you having to manually step in each time. So you win by having that service run at startup, you lose with a small mem usage from the ati2evxx.exe (2 instances of this will show up in the process list).

I have more faith in the X1400 not to cook itself to death like the piece of shit 7900GS I had in here before, but I'm not taking any chances. I don't game on the laptop so there's no need for the card to run a full power. The amount of heat generated from the card is drastically reduced just by feeling the keyboard area over where the card resides.

I put it all the way to power savings, for both plugged in and on battery. Shaves 100mhz off the core speed and cuts the memory speed to a third, but I still don't miss a beat watching video or anything non 3D. More battery life and peace of mind with very low temperatures outweigh the small annoyance of 2 extra processes taking up 7000k of mem.

Well, I looked all around but it seems like the Vista version of CCC omits that particular service. Thanks for your help though, and I'm happy to hear that the Powerplay problems have cleared up for you.

Hmm maybe you can do a search for ati2evxx.exe just to see if you have a similar executable? On my XP machine it is in the Windows/Sytem32 folder. I don't have Vista, but I'll look around the net and see if someone found a solution on your OS.

Back