ATI Performance in X

KevinO

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know of some tips to improve performance on ATI in X? I know glxgears isn't a good benchmark, but I see people with an identical setup getting 5000+ and I only get 2500 no matter what I do. Also, I hear people playing 2K4 decently in Linux where as mine is very choppy. Are there some special settings in the xorg.conf that I am missing "cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep WW", I don't recieve any errors (minus the coudn't find a driver section for PCI:2:0:1). Thanks

Specs:
Abit NF7-S rev. 2.0
Athlon XP 2400+ (166 * 13.5 = 2.25 Ghz)
512 Meg RAM
Radeon 9500 Pro w/ 128 Ram
Gentoo with xorg 6.7.0 (I think :D )
ATI drivers 3.2.8

I tried every driver above 3.2.8 only to get worst performance (even 3.11).

Best way to improve your Linux performance is to trade your ATI for an nVidia card.

Unfortunately I don't have the money. I was just curious why people are getting 2x the performance in glxgears (don't know how that compares to real world performance, but it has to be something).

im having a similar setup here and for me every driver but 3.2.8 works :D

what do you mean with worst performance ?
bad performance in games or only bad performance with glxgears?

did you test fgl_glxgears provided by ati?
its in /opt/ati/bin (for gentoo).
if fgl_glxgears fails, it means that something prevent the driver from working.
are all necessary modules loaded/compiled into kernel?
and did you choose "NO" for the internal AGPGART?
as nforce-user you have to use the external agpgart-modul not the one that comes with the ati-driver!
what kernel are you using?
using a 2.6 kernel is recommended especially if you have an nforce-chipset.

also, saying NO to TV_out gives some performance enhancements.

Are those people getting twice your scores running less CPU limited systems? That 2400+ is definitely a CPU limit to at least some extent.

The 3.11.1 drivers are the first release this year that improves performance over the previous release. All releases since 3.2.8 have decreased performance over their last sets.

Again, for now the best way to improve performance for your linux system is to find someone willing to trade an nVidia card (geforce3 and up) for your ATI card. Anything GeForce3 ti500 and up will outperform everything ATI has to offer.

Back