• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ATI or nVidia?

Kumo

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 16, 2009
Messages
126
I have a conundrum.

I don't know whether to pick up a GTX275 now, from EVGA, and hope Fermi hits within the 90-day step-up window, or go ahead and pick up a 5750, or 5780, or 5850.

What do you guys think? I've been a longtime nVidia guy, but the new batch of ATI cards are the top cards available, as of today.
 
well. fermi is not launched yet. no proof that you will be able to pick one up within the 90 day step-up window. you can only hope that its available.. price is another factor. nobody knows how expensive it will be. and how the performance difference will be compared to ATI line up..
 
I will give Fermi until mid to late April. It may come out sooner but you have to allow the most time since you don't want your step-up to run out. February 1st seems like a good day to buy a Nvidia card for step-up. You're not guaranteed to get your hands on one. You can buy a ATI card now instead of waiting for what could be from Nvidia.
 
I am 85% sure it will be available from the step up program from Evga. I am basing this on previous releases of generation cards but things might change who knows.

If you are really hurting right now for an upgrade, I would do go Ati. I am not sure that nvidia will release their full batch of cards right away and I expect them just to release their other series a good weeks later.
 
Not exactly hurting for an upgrade, just down to the last few components of my new build. I've got a TRUE Rev. C on hold at work, and am 90% sure about going with a Corsair Dominator 6GB kit. The video card is the only thing I haven't really decided on yet.
 
I say go for the change, experience something new. I was stuck on Nvidia for multiple generations of cards.
I'm behind again now, but this 4870 runs everything pretty damn smooth!
Just don't overpay for card and then waste it at 1280 x1024 or something.
You don't mention monitors or res. I can run any game out there well at 1680 x 1050 which is my monitors max.
 
Current monitor is an old 17" 4:3 LCD, max res 1024x1280. Intended upgrade is a Samsung 2343BWX with a max res of 2048x1152.

That may have to wait a little longer after the system is up and running. The wife is an understanding sort, but to her, the old monitor "works fine"
 
ATI 5850 if your going to upgrade the monitor but if you have a little more money get a 5870.
You're not going to need another card until next gen.
 
5850 is within my budget. Barely.

5870 is out of reach, sadly. I get a discount, but not much of one on hardware.
 
at the highest i would go with a 5850.. and that is if you go with that new samsung.. but if you dont then the most you would need is a 5770..

5850 is within my budget. Barely.

5870 is out of reach, sadly. I get a discount, but not much of one on hardware.

if you wait til the end of the 90 days.. most likely the prices will drop a little bit more..especially now that nvidia is actually talking about the new fermi's publically..
 
why not 4890? well within your budget, will hold its own and gives you enough time to look at fermi and what not.. that ofcourse unless you need DX11 now
 
I work at Micro Center, and we have a limited selection of enthusiast cards. Low-end choices? Out the wazoo...

nVidia cards start at the FX5200 (!), and go to the GTX295. However, on the high end, there's the 260, the 285, and the 295.

ATI cards start at the Radeon 7000 (!) and go to the 5870. Huge price jump between the 5850 and the 5870, however. I work at the Dallas/Richardson store. You can see our inventory on the web site.
 
If thats the case, I say 5850. I currently game on 1920x1200 and the 5850 is looking like a very solid card. Even if Nvidia releases a decent line up I have a good way out getting out of my hardware (Having friends with older tech is always a plus). In the end I say a 5850.

Seems like a nice deal to have a mc discount. :p
 
What games are you playing most right now? Unless they're DX11 game like Dirt2, you're better off waiting a bit. The HD series, while nice hardware are terribly expensive due to lack of competition and shorter than normal supply. It's also a good period to watch the boards for any bug trends and driver issues, before jumping in. The prices will come back in range when the competition releases a new card..which appears to be not too far off by the look of things. The last thing you want is buyers remorse when you could have waited a month or two...especially in lieu of the fact that they're so few games to take advantage of the technology. Either card you buy in the future..whether it's ATI or Nvidia latest offering, you'll be happier you did'nt get "gouged". I suspect ATI will see a drop to around $260-275 for the HD5850 and around $325-355 for the HD5870 when Nvidia releases their card.
 
Step up program is very inefficient and a waste of money. Anyways, Fermi cards are going to be very expensive and are going to run very hot. On top of that, I'm irritated by Nvidia's elitist attitude and quite frankly look forward to my next system where I can rid myself of the filth that currently pollutes it.

5850 is a powerhouse for around $300. Unless you run an absolute huge resolution or multiple displays, the 5870 or 5970 really is too much for 90% of users.
 
Step up program is very inefficient and a waste of money

How so? A way to turn in a purchase and pay the difference for a better card? How is that a waste of money? Even more when comparing prices from Evgas site shows no major price differences.

Fermi cards are going to be very expensive and are going to run very hot.

I am not gonna disagree with the price, as for Temperatures. Source?

I'm irritated by Nvidia's elitist attitude and quite frankly look forward to my next system where I can rid myself of the filth that currently pollutes it.

Wait what? Guess I should change my views from how hardware performs to how companys see themselfs.

5850 is a powerhouse for around $300.

One thing I agree from your post.
 
I don't think Nvidia is gonna put out the Fermi until next summer from what I've read although I am a big fan of my new GTX275(also purchased at MC).

I'd go with the 5850 if you want the fastest for your pricerange. And a 260/275 if you don't care about DX11 and just want to wait.
 
How so? A way to turn in a purchase and pay the difference for a better card? How is that a waste of money? Even more when comparing prices from Evgas site shows no major price differences.

its not a bad way to upgrade if you are always upgrading to say...but if you are going to buy a card just for the heck of it so in the future you "MAY" be able to upgrade it with a high chance of not being able to.. its a waste.

P.S about fermi cards being hot: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035164063&postcount=4
its heresay atm but i wouldn't put it past that...since these are pre-production models maybe?
 
Decrease the brightness 20%. Start complaining. Decrease it another 20% after a week. Say the LCD must be burning out. Voila! You now can purchase a new one!
 
I currently have a 4870 running my sammy T260, what I play the most is COD4 MW2 at 1900x1200 with full setting and for the most part it runs it pretty smooth. I would say if you dont need anything to run dx11 i would get a 4890 to get you buy. I'm currently in the process of building a new pc as well and looking at a 4890 for now.
 
Back
Top