ATI on Doom3 benchmarks

HongKongPolice said:
you're obviously a biased towards ATi since you own an X800 :rolleyes:
Farcry sucked ass. I played the game for 15min, then uninstalled it. If you step away from the eye candy for ONE SECOND, you'll realize how CRAPPY the gameplay is. It's like a dumb blonde, nice to look at, and nice to play with, but it has NO DEPTH. If all you want to do is stare at eye candy all day, then good for you, keep up the good work, but I'm sure at least 95% of all other gamers think GAMEPLAY is more important.

On another note, I'm also 90% sure that Doom3 DOES NOT USE OPENGL. I remember reading some carmack interview months ago, and he said D3 uses a proprietary API. I don't remember if it was only for nVidia cards or for both, but if someone can dig up the interview, you'll see. If I'm wrong, then I take it back.
I am ashamed to learn you are Canadian. Doom 3 is ABSOLUTELY OPENGL.

HongKongPolice said:
Farcry sucked ass. I played the game for 15min, then uninstalled it. If you step away from the eye candy for ONE SECOND, you'll realize how CRAPPY the gameplay is. It's like a dumb blonde, nice to look at, and nice to play with, but it has NO DEPTH. If all you want to do is stare at eye candy all day, then good for you, keep up the good work, but I'm sure at least 95% of all other gamers think GAMEPLAY is more important.

On another note, I'm also 90% sure that Doom3 DOES NOT USE OPENGL. I remember reading some carmack interview months ago, and he said D3 uses a proprietary API. I don't remember if it was only for nVidia cards or for both, but if someone can dig up the interview, you'll see. If I'm wrong, then I take it back.

i think you are 90% lying to yourself....doom3 is nothing BUT OPENGL and OPENGL is proprietary API...and also D3D is API....wow your kind amazes me

HongKongPolice said:

lol...better start taking it back...Doom3 is about as OpenGL as it gets...and everyone else seems to know this...

I thought Farcry was a good game...nothing earth shattering, admittedly more eye-candy than quality game play...

sorry i am using this as the Quote of the day

I'm also 90% sure that Doom3 DOES NOT USE OPENGL - HongKongPolice

[RIP]Zeus said:
sorry i am using this as the Quote of the day

I'm also 90% sure that Doom3 DOES NOT USE OPENGL - HongKongPolice

LOL :eek:

The other 10% is reasoning gone bad

Haha not OpenGL that is funny. I just want to point out that Nvidia has always put up really good numbers when it comes to Opengl games. Also my personnal opinion is ATI has the better card for two reasons. Low power consumption, and should be less noisy. Both cards should work fine for Doom3. 60fps is all you need anyway anything more and you wont notice. For me 45fps would be fine. Someone said most everyone has a 350 watt PS but what he missed is it cant be a crappy power supply. You must have a quality power supply. It seems to me Nvidia is going for brute force while ATI is more of a Finesse style card. Bottom line both cards have good performance.

Mr. D. said:
What I dont get is that after D3 benchmarks arrive suddenly ATI cards suck because they perform very poorly. As if D3 is the only game on earth! The game isnt even out yet and all people can talk about is poor ATI performance in D3! Don't forget that the X800 still kicks ass in almost every other game. FarCry is still faster on the X800 and nobody can deny that Farcry is one of the "big games" of 2004. And then there is HL2 that was showcased on ATI hardware.

Performance isnt the only factor. Personally, I dont want a videocard that requires two molex connectors in my box. In fact, I dont even like the one molex connector that the X800 uses.

nvidia fans have been hearing their cards are 2nd rate ever since the beta hl2 benchmarks were released. now nvidia cards have an edge in doom3 benchmarks so it gives them right to rebut all those claims and throw it up in the face of all those ati fans

Sauer said:
Haha not OpenGL that is funny. I just want to point out that Nvidia has always put up really good numbers when it comes to Opengl games. Also my personnal opinion is ATI has the better card for two reasons. Low power consumption, and should be less noisy. Both cards should work fine for Doom3. 60fps is all you need anyway anything more and you wont notice. For me 45fps would be fine. Someone said most everyone has a 350 watt PS but what he missed is it cant be a crappy power supply. You must have a quality power supply. It seems to me Nvidia is going for brute force while ATI is more of a Finesse style card. Bottom line both cards have good performance.

I did :)

350 crappyl works just fine if you don't over clock on the ultra, gt with a good 250 and it will over clock to ultra speeds.

I think its funny how ATI is totally dismissing Doom 3 as "not available yet", but are getting people to buy their cards based on HL 2, which isn't even gold and has been delayed numerous times. Lets see, if rumor is to go gold in 3 weeks...that means maybe we'll see it by x-mas.

Sauer said:
It seems to me Nvidia is going for brute force while ATI is more of a Finesse style card. Bottom line both cards have good performance.
hmm, going by clock rates, I would have to say that it is the other way around
525mhz x800xt 16pipes
similar perf overall to
400mhz 6800U 16pipes

the nvidia card is obviously more efficient on some level. (or perhaps something is completely borked on the ATI card)

Umm, nice try ATI but when you base your argument on "the game isn't even out yet" and then go on to say "The X800 remains the fastest card for the majority of games played today and for games being launched in the near future." you really show your despiration. I'm curious, what will be your excuse a week from now? And if you are so against "games that aren't out yet" why have you been putting "Half Life 2 Preferred Graphics" on your boxes for nearly the past year?

They could have just said that the Doom III benches showed that we still have some work to do on our openGL drivers and we will be working day and night to get them ready for when DIII comes out to satisfy all of our ATI customers. At least that would earn respect. :rolleyes:

rancor said:
I did :)

350 crappyl works just fine if you don't over clock on the ultra, gt with a good 250 and it will over clock to ultra speeds.

No your wrong. If you want to run a crap PS then fine. You take the risk. I would not run a crappy PS on my system and I dont have a 6800. Here is a link of an interview from Nvidia. http://tech-report.com/onearticle.x/6712

Sauer said:
No your wrong. If you want to run a crap PS then fine. You take the risk. I would not run a crappy PS on my system and I dont have a 6800. Here is a link of an interview from Nvidia.

Keep in mind I already have an ultra working on a 250 power supply its got 15 amps on the 12 volt rail.

Don't be so obnoxious Sauer. I don't care what nV says, it works period. If you have a good 250 watt power supply you can run any card you want right now. nV ultra, just can't overclock it.

Again its not your total wattage that matter is your amps on your 12 volt rail that link specifically states that.

You can take an antac true 350 which has what 22 amps on the 12 volt rail? and use that to overclock.

Was wrong an antac true 380 at 18 amps. Plenty to over clock with.

Your right a Good 250 will work fine. But useing a crappy PS regardless if its a 350 or 500 is still a risk that I wouldnt take.

Sauer said:
Your right a Good 250 will work fine. But useing a crappy PS regardless if its a 350 or 500 is still a risk that I wouldnt take.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend that either power supplies are that expensive if a guy is going to drop 500 bucks on a card anyways.

Sauer said:

Agrees with the last two sentences... after seeing the Doom3 Benches I was thinking of buying the 6800 but after reading this looks like I'm stuck again on what to buy... I'll wait till the Doom3 and HL2 real benchies.

My Mustang is faster than your Camaro. Who gives a shit? As long as you can play the game at reasonable FPS, that's all that counts. Doesn't matter what card your're playing it on, ATI or Nvidia.

its time for ATI to Regreat for their poor driver and poor OpenGL support in their cards. :D

It's like a dumb blonde, nice to look at, and nice to play with, but it has NO DEPTH

Are you saying that Doom3 has depth? DOnt get me wrong. As soon as D3 is out Im gonna get it, play it and love it but it is just another mindless shooter with no story whatsoever. And it is a sequal/remake as well.

D3 has to be either OGL or D3D or else no single graphics card will support it. And ID games have been OGL ever since Quake.

Mr. D. said:
Are you saying that Doom3 has depth? DOnt get me wrong. As soon as D3 is out Im gonna get it, play it and love it but it is just another mindless shooter with no story whatsoever. And it is a sequal/remake as well.

D3 has to be either OGL or D3D or else no single graphics card will support it. And ID games have been OGL ever since Quake.

WOW! do you solve crimes too? using your psychic powers to enable you to review games before they are even released seems like a waste of your talents.

maybe you should read the pc gamer review

ilemon said:
WOW! do you solve crimes too? using your psychic powers to enable you to review games before they are even released seems like a waste of your talents.

maybe you should read the pc gamer review

enlightin me plz on what pc gamer said. cause i am so confused...

Doom3 is supposed to have a story, "puzzles" and character interaction etc etc...but it's still a shooter...

Well, being that they worked with a professional Sci-fi story writer, I think it will have at least a decent story too it.

HongKongPolice said:

It's hilarious when people do this... "I played the game for 15minutes so I have the knowledge and authority to declare it sucks ass!" Yeah, I think I will listen to you and your 15 minutes of experience with the game, and crack history of reviewing games rather than this: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/371314.asp?q=farcry

Anyone who makes a statment on ANY game to the effect of "I played it for 15 minutes and it sucks" is automatically on my "people I can safely ignore because they are friggin idiots" list.

[RIP]Zeus said:
i think you are 90% lying to yourself....doom3 is nothing BUT OPENGL and OPENGL is proprietary API...and also D3D is API....wow your kind amazes me
Ok, when did OpenGL become proprietary? :confused: its a very open API, that every one in the industry helps develop, not just one company.

Why do people always throw performance of other games into a thread about a specific game?
Here is my review of FarCry:
Never played it, never will. FarCry performance on any card is about as important to me as S3 DeltaChrome performance in any game. I dont give a rats ass.
Maybe its a "big name game" to someone, but that someone sure as hell isnt me.

Doom3 is a game I am interested in.
I think the 6800GT will perform as good or better than the X800Pro in most the new games that come out in the next 2 years, so I bought it.

Mr. d: Where are you getting the ideas that Doom III will not have a well thought out story?

Read up:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/previews/previews_story.php(que)id=98036

For all you people who either never played Far Cry..or played it for a whopping 15 minutes are missing out. When I first started playing it..I thought it was just you..lots of guns..save a chick. But then I started getting into all the mutants they were creating and I am hooked. I love the AI, graphics, playability (AI does all kinds of different things..never same thing over and over again.) But that your prerogative...

Can't wait for Doom III, Half-Life 2, (and while I'm on a wishing spree) Quake IV, Call of Duty 2, and RTCW 2

I'd post in their thead but I fear the rampant stupidity might be contagious.

OMG WHAT HAVE I DONE! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Mr. d: Where are you getting the ideas that Doom III will not have a well thought out story?

Here:

For those who've been lost in a time vortex, Doom 3 is a loose re-telling of the original Doom story, pitting a lone space marine against the encroaching forces of Hell,

and here:

And yet in gameplay terms, Doom 3 is very much a typical first-person shooter. There's little we haven't seen here before -

Like I said, I don't need a non-linear storyline and I am gonna love D3 but nobody can say that it has depth.

Well a big difference from previous id games, is they fact they actually contracted a Sci-Fi writer for the game. They do actually have a story to the game this time, instead of just run and kill monsters.

Mr. D. said:
Like I said, I don't need a non-linear storyline and I am gonna love D3 but nobody can say that it has depth.

Well they did hire a professional sci-fi writer to do the script for Doom3...and you have to put this in perspective...how many first person shooters have "depth"?

Xipher said:
Well a big difference from previous id games, is they fact they actually contracted a Sci-Fi writer for the game. They do actually have a story to the game this time, instead of just run and kill monsters.

jinx

Not only is it going to have a story etc etc, but the way in which you kill monsters, the way in which you interact with them and they with you will be revolutionary (their AI will be spectacular) and by far the best ever Shooter released. :p

Back