• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ATI + Nvidia questions.

o2taku

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Messages
82
Here's my situation - I'm using the PC currently in my signature, but I have an 8800gts 320mb laying around. I've been planning to put it in to see how the modded drivers for PhysX works. However, there are a few things I want to clear up.

1 - I know the card draws a lot of power - will there be any issues if perhaps both GPUs are full load? If the 8800gts does not have drivers installed, will it still idle and draw power?
2 - Can you (in Windows 7) change between two GPUs? I know you can install two drivers, but can you toggle which one does the rendering?
3 - If I dual boot with Windows 7 and XP, can you install the 8800gts instead of the 5870 since XP can only use one display driver? This is using the 8800gts in the non-pimary PCI-E slot of course.
4 - Will using a PCI-E 2.0 16x running at 4x bottleneck an 8800gts 320mb? I figure it won't, or at least not noticably, but I'm not certain about this.

Thanks.
 
1) It's tough to say when you haven't listed your PSU make and model.
2) I have no idea. But why would you want to have an 8800GTS rendering instead of the 5870? Also, you would have to switch the monitor cable.
3) Again, you would have to switch the monitor cable, but the card will display fine in the secondary PCI-E slot.
4) Probably not noticeable. Definitely not if you're going to use it for PhysX only and the 5870 for graphics.
 
1) It's tough to say when you haven't listed your PSU make and model.
Oh whoops - sorry, I didn't notice I never listed it. It's a Corsair HX850W.
2) I have no idea. But why would you want to have an 8800GTS rendering instead of the 5870? Also, you would have to switch the monitor cable.
This is primarily for two reasons. First reason is just for testing to see how well it can run PhysX alone if I run into any issues. Second is if I can switch between them, I can try and use the 8800gts for older games that may have issues running on the 5870.
 
Oh whoops - sorry, I didn't notice I never listed it. It's a Corsair HX850W.

This is primarily for two reasons. First reason is just for testing to see how well it can run PhysX alone if I run into any issues. Second is if I can switch between them, I can try and use the 8800gts for older games that may have issues running on the 5870.
Can't say I've seen a way to do this. Most people run the 5870 for rendering and then install the "fixed" PhysX drivers to run PhysX on the 8800GTS. Your PSU will have no problem at all handling that load though. Sorry I can't be of more help.
 
Back
Top