ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Linux Driver - Am I screwed?

jbltecnicspro

[H]F Junkie
So I decided to throw Fedora 17 on my old Emachines laptop, and it so happens to come with a Mobility Radeon 9600. All's good right? WRONG! The AMD "Legacy" Linux driver only works with distros that are from February 2009 and older. Is there a way that I can get hardware acceleration on this thing? Are there any open source radeon driver that I can use? Thanks!

So I decided to throw Fedora 17 on my old Emachines laptop, and it so happens to come with a Mobility Radeon 9600. All's good right? WRONG! The AMD "Legacy" Linux driver only works with distros that are from February 2009 and older. Is there a way that I can get hardware acceleration on this thing? Are there any open source radeon driver that I can use? Thanks!

I'd think the "radeon" OSS driver would work.

On any modern distro you can uninstall fglrx and reboot & it radeon should start automatically.

I concur. The open source driver should work just fine. In fact, it should have just worked when you installed Fedora. Did it not work before you installed the fglrx drivers?

Ugh. I feel for you man. ATI is probably the sole reason why I gave up using linux on laptops.

Does anybody know if the performance of the open source driver has improved much in the past few years?

Fedora 18 was just released yesterday with updated hardware support. You can try that.

Back