ATi Market Share Going Up?

According to this one sales are up, but the other threads show that stock value's are down. So what does that mean?

Sly said:
According to this one sales are up, but the other threads show that stock value's are down. So what does that mean?

I'll answer that with a quote from Beyond3D forums.

kemosabe said:
ATI's market share penetration was largely limited to its Xpress 200 integrated chipsets and low-end discrete (X300) parts in the PCI-E OEM segment, which is why its profit margins tumbled. Meanwhile, NVDA has a smaller slice of the overall pie but is selling a lot more higher-margin performance chips.

Makes sense to me.... kinda.

Sly said:

Stock value is based in part on projected cash flows.

if the r560 isnt assloads better than the 7800gtx, ati may be be hurting.

BUT given past performance, i'd say ati is just fine.

What is says is that ATI increased sequential mobile part shipments by 50%... good for them, but not necessarily dramatic. 1) the IGP320/34xM parts were never very successful and that the XPRESS 200M shipped 50% more isn't too surprising or significant and 2) integrated chipset margins are pretty poor vs discrete graphics chips.

And "ATI’s gains on the desktop side came entirely from its line of integrated graphics devices", again a low margin product. Both bits of news sound completely accurate, but as you can see from Q2 results last month, revenue was down sharply (a net loss) despite the market share gains. Worse is that ATI was sitting on almost 4 months of inventory and the results of dumping parts shows up in the many cheap prices for cards (9800s, x800s, x850s) lately.

While some people might think that's "good" (well, maybe for buyers it is), it's actually not good for ATI. Selling cards and chips at full price almost makes ATI break even. Selling at a steep discount will accelerate the loss for Q3 (calendar year), and it won't be surprising for ATI to post a huge loss in 2 months, despite cutting forecasts twice already.

Kritter said:
if the r560 isnt assloads better than the 7800gtx, ati may be be hurting.

BUT given past performance, i'd say ati is just fine.

Its the ATI R520, not R560 :).

I think that people tend to forget; that unless you’re actually LOOKING for a $600 card, the fact that nvidia has an expensive card that is faster doesn’t really matter. X800/X850’s hold up to 6800’s just as well as they did before the 7800 came out. If you only want to spend $300 or so on a card, the 7800 becomes completely irrelevant.

You make a very good point and this is what the market share figures show. ATi is still selling tons of low end items but there high end sells are looking rather bad. Not surprising, I personally believe much of Nvidia's success with the high end 6800s can be credited to a good marketing campaign.

Did anyone even notice that those were 2nd quarter results. ATI posted losses in the 3rd quarter. That report is dated.

You realize that quaters are not the same for every company. ATi's third quater can be totally different than this firms.....

Jesus people. If history has taught us anything, we should know that one or two botched/delayed releases doesn't necessarily spell doom for any given company.
Only a long term, repeated failure to deliver competitively priced and performing products will do so. Especially in the cases of rather large companies such as nVidia and ATi.
This is the same stupid bullshit that everyone posted when the fx5x00's were such flops, "ZOMG teh nVidia aer going out of business cuz teh 9700 aer teh rewl!!!11 omgwtf"
That’s just utter, stupid bullshit, and I’m sick of seeing that shit posted over and over again, no matter who the company is. It's stupid, untrue, and did I mention stupid?

Skrying said:
You realize that quaters are not the same for every company. ATi's third quater can be totally different than this firms.....

If JPR is reporting 2nd quarter reports on ATI, they mean ATI's second quarter. What sense would it make to report current financial information for another company based on your own fiscal calendar? ATI's second quarter results were very much in line with that report. It was the 3rd quarter where they suffered. Trust me if that JPR report was accurately reflected ATIs fiscal position they would have reported that to their investors instead of this Link.

And before anyone claims I'm making a biased remark. Check my sig. that 850 just replaced an 800pro so hopefully Ive done my share to help ATIs rebound in the 4th quarter. However, misinformation is misinformation.

Did you even read the article? It was not just ATi, it was the whole market. Nvidia, Intel, SIS, Via, XGI, Matrox, ATi, everyone who sells any form of a GPU that matters. So yes, the quaters can be different.

Skrying said:
Did you even read the article? It was not just ATi, it was the whole market. Nvidia, Intel, SIS, Via, XGI, Matrox, ATi, everyone who sells any form of a GPU that matters. So yes, the quaters can be different.

Yes I read the article in its entirety. If you insist that this is current information fine. I'm not going to argue with you.

Back