Ati/hdmi out to reciever-- but how can i go to another source?

slideways666

Limp Gawd
Im stuck and hoping one of you guys might have a answer

I have a htpc with a 5770 ati card hooked up to the receiver via the hdmi.. I get sound on the receiver and video on the tv-- np... The receiver is a panny xr57..

So here is the problem... I want to hook up my wireless headsets so i can watch a movie late at night and not wake up the mrs... But i cant figure out how to get another audio out...

With the hdmi going to the receiver-- the htpc wont allow another audio out source.. I cant hook up my headset to my headphone jack on the receiver -- cause that is controlled by the audio volume dial--- Which will need to be at zero so the speakers aren't firing off..

How can i get the htpc to allow 2 audio outs?(hdmi and 2nd audio out)... There is audio out port on the tv-- but the audio stops at the receiver from the hdmi cable.. It doesn't pass through to the tv... Sigh...

Yeah-- maybe ill have to do it that way... I was just hoping to find a way to have both hooked up and not have to switch back and forth... I need a audio out in another place === or a way to have 2 audio outs on one computer.. But i think your idea is the way im going to have to go.. :D

what about the rca outputs on your tv?

you get the headsets that use rca.. easy or adapters and somehead sets have volume control.. :)

That was the whole problem easykill---- the sound would stop at my receiver and not go to the tv... I needed a passthrough or a 2nd audio source somewhere...

Snowtiger-- i went with your thought and just plugged both into the computer.. HDMI and audio out..Then just switched between the two as needed.,..

Last edited:
I cant hook up my headset to my headphone jack on the receiver -- cause that is controlled by the audio volume dial--- Which will need to be at zero so the speakers aren't firing off..

I dont understand this. When you hook a set of headphones up to a receiver it should kill the speaker audio. Just like a set of computer speakers does. Otherwise headphones would be pointless. Am I missing something? What kind of wireless headphones are you using?

I'm running Windows 7 and when I plug my headphones in the computer switches the default output device to headphones. I'm surprised that it isn't working the same way for slideways666. There might be a setting for headphone detection in your sound card drivers.

I'm running Windows 7 and when I plug my headphones in the computer switches the default output device to headphones. I'm surprised that it isn't working the same way for slideways666. There might be a setting for headphone detection in your sound card drivers.
If you are running a receiver I see no reason to even mess with the computer. Just plug it into the headphone jack on the front. For HTPC use I try my best to keep it all simple.

I dont understand this. When you hook a set of headphones up to a receiver it should kill the speaker audio. Just like a set of computer speakers does. Otherwise headphones would be pointless. Am I missing something? What kind of wireless headphones are you using?

My receiver worked this way. It wouldnt make any sense for a receiver to not do this. You'd have to physically unplug the speakers otherwise when using headphones.

My receiver worked this way. It wouldnt make any sense for a receiver to not do this. You'd have to physically unplug the speakers otherwise when using headphones.

exactly. what woudl the point of the headphone jack be if the speakers kept playign at the same volume level? In case the listener had cold ears?

With my panny XR-55, you have to manually turn off the speakers even if you have headphones plugged in. Works for me since I can leave my headphones plugged in if I want to use the speakers.

As for the audio not going to the tv speakers, there should be an option in your receiver to do this. It does get annoying to turn the volume down on the tv if you're not using the headphones though.

Hope this helps.

Back