ATI HD 6970 actual benchmarks

I can't believe I'm being crucified for responding to someone's post.
This forum is weird right now. I don't even know what's going on.

I'll come back later when people actually start talking about something relevant.

I'll come back later when people actually start talking about something relevant.

I think people are testy, because many who thought ATI's flagship card was going to spank the 580 are biting their nails right now.

Other than that, I couldn't say.

Oh heaven's forbid that you get called out on something which you spend several posts claiming you do know what you're talking about when you dont. How bout you just realize you were wrong and move along...

I think people are testy, because many who thought ATI's flagship card was going to spank the 580 are biting their nails right now.

Other than that, I couldn't say.

did some people actually think this was going to happen?...when was the last time ATI/AMD beat Nvidia?...9800 Pro?...even the borked 480 beat the 5870

I think people were realistically hoping that the 6970 would be even with or maybe within 5% of the 580 with lower power consumption and a lower price

did some people actually think this was going to happen?...when was the last time ATI/AMD beat Nvidia?...9800 Pro?...even the borked 480 beat the 5870

I think people were realistically hoping that the 6970 would be even with or maybe within 5% of the 580 with lower power consumption and a lower price

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036422040&postcount=174

Among others that simply can't even acknowledge the possibility that the HD 6970 can be slower than the GTX 580.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036422040&postcount=174

Among others that simply can't even acknowledge the possibility that the HD 6970 can be slower than the GTX 580.

We still don't really know anything yet, and even from the leaked benches its faster than the 580 in STALKER (probably Metro too), so whatever, everyone should just chill and wait for the official review.

As I've said multiple times already, it will most likely be slightly slower than the 580.

I think its funny how everyone gets right on edge before real reviews are even out. While these may look legit they may be completely fake, who knows? People should just quit whining and wait.

Also my 2 cents. I dont know were the performance of the 6970 will lie, but if its under the 580, you can expect it will be under it in price as well. The people assuming it will be weaker then a 580 at the same price point are stupid.

Oh please. Do you even remember a month ago when the 580 came out? Half the board was mocking Nvidia for releasing such an "unimpressive" refresh, and talking trash about how AMD was going to kill them this round.

Way too many people seem to have a personal stake in this - even more than in previous releases. Everyone needs to chill out.

I was just saying that Fudo got his class-of-it's-owm quote from an AMD slide
- this one:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036547884&postcount=63

- so, he's not making it up, just quoting from a slide

- and to me it looks legit
- but maybe it isn't?
- I guess we shall know soon enough....

Heaven is sooo easily faked. Not saying that's fake though...

It will be interesting if AMD/ATI finally has tessellation performance worth a damn. Because if that happens, tessellation will again be the best thing ever, just like the time when the HD 5800s were released! When NVIDIA released the GTX 400s and beat the HD 5800s soundly in tessellation, it was no longer an important feature :p

We still don't really know anything yet, and even from the leaked benches its faster than the 580 in STALKER (probably Metro too), so whatever, everyone should just chill and wait for the official review.

As I've said multiple times already, it will most likely be slightly slower than the 580.

Then go say that to the guy claiming that the HD 6970 will either match or "spank" the GTX 580.

I was just saying that Fudo got his class-of-it's-owm quote from an AMD slide
- this one:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036547884&postcount=63

- so, he's not making it up, just quoting from a slide

- and to me it looks legit
- but maybe it isn't?
- I guess we shall know soon enough....

I'm thinking that slide is a fake. It appeared in two sets of very different, "authentic" slides (one possessing grammatical errors).

Besides, what happened to the 470? Did it mysteriously vanish?

Some plausible(possible) results:

http://www.overclock.net/hardware-news/888392-actual-bench-results-6970-old-drivers.html

I got 51fps with my GTX 480, 55.2fps is a plausible result "if" that's a 6970.
With new drivers it can gain another 3-5% maybe. 10-15% over the GTX 480 is plausible, just under the GTX 580(depending on the game and drivers).

The 6970 will beat the GTX 480, it's has to be seen how close it can match the GTX 580.

Wow...11 pages of he said, she said & nuh-uh, uh-huh, and did-to, did-not

How 'bout people stop speculating and and wait for the cards to be released and tested?

Then, you can go out and make your feelings known with your wallet and post your awesome scores here where we can all see them. :)

Me personally, I doubt I'll even purchase a new card this cycle because neither company's card performs as well as they initially stated it would...

I think I'll wait for a "real" process shrink to occur and make do with what I have for the next 6months or so until the refresh happens...

I'm thinking that slide is a fake. It appeared in two sets of very different, "authentic" slides (one possessing grammatical errors).

Besides, what happened to the 470? Did it mysteriously vanish?

That looks extremely plausible to me. The 470 is done, they are just clearing old stock, just the AMD 5850, it really doesn't figure in the discussion going forward.

I've seen 57FPS on the 480 in heaven v2.1 default@ 1920x. I forgot if the 480 was at 821 on the core or 850. It had one or the other as an OC.

That looks extremely plausible to me. The 470 is done, they are just clearing old stock, just the AMD 5850, it really doesn't figure in the discussion going forward.
Slide has been photoshoped. Look at the white text on the bottom. You can see dark transition lines where the text stops and starts again. Also notice on the left side it just says "50 for additional information"

Here's the chart (posted by neliz):

2r5atkm.jpg

Not encouraging that they keep benching it against the 480/570.

2r5atkm.jpg

Still base on those numbers (if they are correct) the 6970 is 25% faster than 570GTX on average, which makes it around +5% faster than a 580GTX...

Yeah but if you look at the numbers, here's the improvement:

avp 10%
batman 15%
borderlands 33%
crysis 35%
f1 20%
l4d2 20%
metro 20%
riddick 20%
unigine 28%
wolf 26%
et 22%

pretty weird that 4 games get an exact 20% improvement. In any case, wouldn't these numbers would make it a bit faster than the 580?

2r5atkm.jpg

its not that hard to use your brain a little and guess that this scores mean 6970 is nearly on par with 580

Averaging out the scores from that chart, we're looking at around 26.9% faster than a GTX 480/GTX 570.

If the GTX 480 is about 5 to 10% faster than a Radeon 5870, wouldn't that make the 6970 around 30 to 35% faster than a 5870 (give or take a few decimals)?

And, with the GTX 580 roughly 20% to 30% faster than a GTX 480/GTX 570, that puts the Radeon 6970 based on those benchmarks between 5% slower than a GTX 580 and 7% faster, depending on the game itself. (That's if going by 20% - 26.9% ~ 7% and 30% - 26.9% ~ 5%.)

Of course the math seems wonky but simply put the Radeon 6970 is anywhere between 5% slower and 7% faster than a GTX 580 depending on the game being used.

2r5atkm.jpg

Uh, if that thing actually performs that good...Well, color me 'un-disappointed'. Those numbers look great, and should easily make it compete with the 580.

with 1536 shaders if it matches the gtx 580 and trades blows. I guess it is a win for ati. I always thought it was going to be 1920 shaders which would have certainly made it faster. I think it was probably a marketing decision from ati, just do the best that they an at 40nm and wait for 28nm to come along so they can come up with something new at that time. I think it would be pointless for them to add more to the die and charge people more. If it can fight with the gtx 580 and costs 75 bucks cheaper. If AMD can price it at 399 it would be a hot seller.

IF they made is faster with upping the die size even more and charge people 550 for it, it would not make sense. AMD walked away from super high prices on graphics card a while back and they have always shot for smaller die size and maximizing performance ever since 3870-4870 and all they way to 5870, 3870 was probably the first card where AMD headed in that direction, it was not any faster then 2900 but it was a lot more effecient.

Last edited:
Averaging out the scores from that chart, we're looking at around 26.9% faster than a GTX 480/GTX 570.

If the GTX 480 is about 5 to 10% faster than a Radeon 5870, wouldn't that make the 6970 around 30 to 35% faster than a 5870 (give or take a few decimals)?

And, with the GTX 580 roughly 20% to 30% faster than a GTX 480/GTX 570, that puts the Radeon 6970 based on those benchmarks between 5% slower than a GTX 580 and 7% faster, depending on the game itself. (That's if going by 20% - 26.9% ~ 7% and 30% - 26.9% ~ 5%.)

Of course the math seems wonky but simply put the Radeon 6970 is anywhere between 5% slower and 7% faster than a GTX 580 depending on the game being used.

GTX 580 is not by any means 20-30% faster then gtx 570 or 480. Trust me it has been stated numerous times. It is about 15% faster on average.

with 1536 shaders if it matches the gtx 580 and trades blows. I guess it is a win for ati. I always thought it was going to be 1920 shaders which would have certainly made it faster. I think it was probably a marketing decision from ati, just do the best that they an at 40nm and wait for 28nm to come along so they can come up with something new at that time. I think it would be pointless for them to add more to the die and charge people more. If it can fight with the gtx 580 and costs 75 bucks cheaper. If AMD can price it at 399 it would be a hot seller.

It's starting to look like a glimmer of hope if going by the math and those most recent benchmarks.

If true that it's 5% slower and 7% faster than a GTX 580 on only 1536 shaders at 880 MHz, then AMD has done something pretty radical and amazing if you think about it.

Reducing the shader count by 4% and switching to VLIW4, AMD has done something more with less compared to a 5870 with 1600 shaders using VLIW5 at 850 MHz. Those benchmarks definitely show it's somewhere around 30-35% faster than a 5870 with only a reduced shader count.

EDIT: I got the 20 to 30% from [H] review for the GTX 580.

EDIT #2: If GTX 580 is 15% faster than a GTX 480/570, wouldn't that put the Radeon 6970 faster than the GTX 580 on average? o_O Maybe 10% faster depending on the game itself.

It's starting to look like a glimmer of hope if going by the math and those most recent benchmarks.

If true that it's 5% slower and 7% faster than a GTX 580 on only 1536 shaders at 880 MHz, then AMD has done something pretty radical and amazing if you think about it.

Reducing the shader count by 4% and switching to VLIW4, AMD has done something more with less compared to a 5870 with 1600 shaders using VLIW5 at 850 MHz. Those benchmarks definitely show it's somewhere around 30-35% faster than a 5870 with only a reduced shader count.

And the Gtx 580 is 23% faster than the 5870.

Those numbers are good if true. Good job AMD. I wonder if these are on the 10.12 driver?

I gues it all kinda makes sense from amd's perspective. Make it trade blows with the competitions highend and price it cheaper, make it consume less power and call it a day until 28nm comes along. They know that nvidia is not coming out with anything faster until 28nm comes along.

EDIT #2: If GTX 580 is 15% faster than a GTX 480/570, wouldn't that put the Radeon 6970 faster than the GTX 580 on average? o_O Maybe 10% faster depending on the game itself.

I love hard reviews, while they have positives they also have their negatives. The way they test a card could make it look better or worse than they are really. Thats why when I wann look at game play I look at hard review and when I wanna look at over all performance I usually look at tech power up. Where they average out every game.

Still base on those numbers (if they are correct) the 6970 is 25% faster than 570GTX on average, which makes it around +5% faster than a 580GTX...

Which makes it even stranger that they don't compare it to a 580. Looking at the settings used, is it possible that the 570 is VRAM limited, making the 2GB 6970 look better by comparison to the 570 than it would to the 580?

Back