ati hd 4870

i just got my ati hd 4870 was just wondering if the fan mod for manually upping the fan speed is better then the automatic default way.if manual is ok then what is a safe temp for 3d gaming and just idiling.what percent is best suited for these modes or should i just leave it default.this card is a visiontek and i do live on a 3rd story apartment building so theirs heat in the building.thx ps is the their a way to check temps ingame thx

yes, I have a Visiontek 4870 myself and have manually put the fan at 50%, with a overclock of 775/1025 and it idles at 44c , and hits 57c at load, pretty awesome for a stock cooler :)

heres how you do it, create a profile called "fan settings" , save it, then go to

(C:/users/name/AppData/Local/ATI/ACE.

Find the XML file named "Fan Settings" (which you just created) open with notepad

halfway down it should look like this

- <Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="Percent" />
</Feature>
- <Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
</Feature>
- <Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
- <Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="50" />
</Feature

Change the FanSpeed Algorithm to "Manual"
Change the Want Value= to desired speed , I put mine at 50%

Then save the XML file , then go back into your CCC , and load the "fan settings" profile.

that should do it.

thx for reply.do you think that the cooler might wear out quicker with it set higher(how many rpm would 50% be)

i have a normal profile of 35% fan speed
a gaming profile of 50%
and a 100% setting just to scare my cat away

thx for reply.do you think that the cooler might wear out quicker with it set higher(how many rpm would 50% be)

RPMs are at 3250's, dont worry about it , you got a Visiontek lifetime warranty :D, just be sure to register the serial number at there website.

i have a normal profile of 35% fan speed
a gaming profile of 50%
and a 100% setting just to scare my cat away

lol yeah I cranked it up to 65% and it sounded like a hair dryer:eek:, cooled the shit out of it though.

lmfao at cat thx guys i have a profile for 35 idle, 50 for gaming and maybe higher for overclock.whats the best stable overclock for this card and would it increase fps in a game like crysis thx.

Mine ran stable for as long as I tested it with the max CCC OC settings but I turned it back down to stock.

I can't think of a reason why I returned to stock speeds but just did.

lmfao at cat thx guys i have a profile for 35 idle, 50 for gaming and maybe higher for overclock.whats the best stable overclock for this card and would it increase fps in a game like crysis thx.

I've been running at CCC overdrive max, with a fan speed on 40%, with no problems. Idle temps are 55c, load are around 75c. I'll bump the fan speed up, once I figure out max OC. I like to over stress when I'm testing to find the sweet spot.

I've been trying to go higher than max with the AMP GPU Clock Tool. However, setting higher clocks than max outside of CCC prevents me from using any fan profiles.

Has anyone figured out how to clock above overdrive max, and control their fan?

Back