ATI Editorial 10/10/05

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good read, Kyle...lays everything out pretty much how I've seen it as well. I prefer nV myself, but I like to see what ATi has to offer to keep them on their toes, and this series of launches, while not dead on, are WAY better than last generations...maybe now people will get off your damn back about having an opinion. :p

you were much too kind. just come out and say it, ATI is screwed, and they screwed themselves.

Shameless Liar said:
Very fair.
yup. A good job of shipping products. I am anxious to see picts and people's opinions of their new cards. :D

I agree that I think ATi finally released a commendable product however I hope they do a better job with next gen in terms of production and marketing...

EDIT: Please note the phrase is 'couldn't care less' :D

That should shut the critics up Kyle. :) Though perhaps now Shifra will shout "vindicated" as well... ;)

Kyle doesn't care about value buyers so he won't complain about no x1300s. Kyle doesn't love us because we're not [H]ard enough.

Keep the pressure on and keep em pumping out solid products! We appreciate the way you stick yourself and the site out there for us gamers on a daily basis.

/Tips Hat

gordon151 said:
Kyle doesn't care about value buyers so he won't complain about no x1300s. Kyle doesn't love us because we're not [H]ard enough.

Actually I think there are tons of product available in this category so it really is of little interest to our readers.

JIT inventory management concept has nothing to do with new product launch initiatives. While mass market has to consider pipeline inventory, JIT concept makes suppliers to pay for component inventory carrying cost. What was good for Toyota in the early 80's simply doesn't work for Western culture as we don't hire our cousins/brothers to be our vendors/suppliers.

I do agree keeping the pressure on ATI allows a competitive market condition that only benefit the consumers; gamers in this case.

I wish the same or more can be said on Intel's below grade thermal hungry Prescott; that is not the point here.

I'm still focused on the XT when? issue.

That and the temps were seeing shouldn't be that unexpected, since it would appear that the problem with reaching their target clocks has always been heat.

It is somewhat like the Intel vs. AMD saga, which eventually proved that continually upping clocks isn't the best path for sustainable(and cost effective, i might add)growth.

lazyman said:
JIT inventory management concept has nothing to do with new product launch initiatives. While mass market has to consider pipeline inventory, JIT concept makes suppliers to pay for component inventory carrying cost. What was good for Toyota in the early 80's simply doesn't work for Western culture as we don't hire our cousins/brothers to be our vendors/suppliers.

I do agree keeping the pressure on ATI allows a competitive market condition that only benefit the consumers; gamers in this case.

I wish the same or more can be said on Intel's below grade thermal hungry Prescott; that is not the point here.

I am fully aware of what JIT is. I simply used the term in a bit sarcastic manner. Excuse me if our verbal styling was not obvious.

eastvillager said:
That and the temps were seeing shouldn't be that unexpected, since it would appear that the problem with reaching their target clocks has always been heat.

"Shouldn't be unexpected"? LOL - I dunno, seems downright dangerous to me.

A system with an X1800XT and a Prescott P4 in it is a SERIOUS fire hazard - LOL!

Jbirney said:
Most people????
All three people I've seen on various forums who had an X1800XL reported those temps, so....yeah, I'd say 'most people'.

Don't even WANT to know what the X1800XT will manage. I mean, sure, it's got a beefier cooler, but....gods above, that thing might well sit over 100C!

dderidex said:
All three people I've seen on various forums who had an X1800XL reported those temps, so....yeah, I'd say 'most people'.!

I just saw the two here..and I missread rick post where I thought it was stayed at 65C will stock cooling..my bad.

I am fully aware of what JIT is. I simply used the term in a bit sarcastic manner. Excuse me if our verbal styling was not obvious.

Just want to make sure ATI doesn't get the wrong idea. Gamers are no fools :)

As always, your verbal/writing skill always catches attention.

dderidex said:
Don't even WANT to know what the X1800XT will manage. I mean, sure, it's got a beefier cooler, but....gods above, that thing might well sit over 100C!

Thank god for cheap HSF like arctic cooling'd offerings ;)

Maybe ATI has decided that due to rising energy costs, they would make their design less thermally advantageous so their new line of cards can double as space heaters?

I think your comments were on the mark, Kyle. IMO, a person's statements always sound better when they don't include any cursing or remarks that could be construed as insults. I guess I've just spent too much time in the forums, but as soon as a poster resorts to cussing, insults, or veiled sarcasm, it's generally a sign their arguements are running out of steam.

This editorial was much better worded then the last couple.

Jonsey said:
I think your comments were on the mark, Kyle. IMO, a person's statements always sound better when they don't include any cursing or remarks that could be construed as insults. I guess I've just spent too much time in the forums, but as soon as a poster resorts to cussing, insults, or veiled sarcasm, it's generally a sign their arguements are running out of steam.

This editorial was much better worded then the last couple.

Fuckin' A right.

This is why I love [H] (yes I was refering to the "Fuckin' A" comment as well as all the latest editorials on ATI).

The only thing that concerns me is this 90*C comment Dd made, no one wants a card that runs that hot, not around here anyways. Sounds like [H] has another research project to do, to check this rumor out, since it would be a great idea, as your readers are highly interested in this kinda thing, right eh?

~Adam

CleanSlate said:
The only thing that concerns me is this 90*C comment Dd made, no one wants a card that runs that hot, not around here anyways. Sounds like [H] has another research project to do, to check this rumor out, since it would be a great idea, as your readers are highly interested in this kinda thing, right eh?

Seems worth investigating to me.

I mean, call me crazy, but to see ATI drop the warranty on their cards from 3 years to 1 year on Aug 31st, then 1 month later, ooh, look, here comes ATI's next-gen product line that runs INSANE temperatures.

No connection at all, right?

dderidex said:

I mean, call me crazy, but to see ATI drop the warranty on their cards from 3 years to 1 year on Aug 31st, then 1 month later, ooh, look, here comes ATI's next-gen product line that runs INSANE temperatures.

Well there response is maintaining that kind of warranty means they need to keep a certain amount of older cards (and apparantly their marketing [if only the put as much effort into product releases] suggests that most people return cards within the first year than the last 2), it's a valid reason but maybe they're killing 2 birds with 1 stone :p

You da man Kyle.

Sometimes I get mad about what you have to say, whether it's about a motherboard maker, or video card company (because of my enthusiasm for them), but you are dead on. Keep on fightin' the good man's fight.

And please keep onto ATi for delivery of the XT part that I would love to own.
:cool:

Too much un-needed drama. ATI is late to market so from my point of view this just delays Nvidia from releasing their next gen sooner .. to
me it's all about the game, not the war between the two companies
and picking sides. I just want the most horsepower for the money :p

Maybe this will ignite Nvidia to release their next scud missle,
maybe I will wait until I upgrade :p

dderidex said:

PowerColor has 3 years warranty on r520, VisionTek will most likly have even longer.

Spank said:
PowerColor has 3 years warranty on r520, VisionTek will most likly have even longer.
That's nice.

They aren't making the cores, ATI is. IE., they gotta be wondering right now if ATI knows something they don't about these cores.

Still, they ARE competing WITH ATI, in addition to using their parts, so they gotta keep doing SOMETHING to add value to their products.

dderidex said:
That's nice.

They aren't making the cores, ATI is. IE., they gotta be wondering right now if ATI knows something they don't about these cores.

Still, they ARE competing WITH ATI, in addition to using their parts, so they gotta keep doing SOMETHING to add value to their products.

I dont think they are wondering, they probably know that ati is getting out of selling BBA cards and thats the only reason they have shorten there warrenty.

Spank said:
I dont think they are wondering, they probably know that ati is getting out of selling BBA cards and thats the only reason they have shorten there warrenty.
Nothing wrong with that, of course. I think we've all seen that coming for some time.

Still, here's hoping that's ALL this is.

CleanSlate said:
This is why I love [H] (yes I was refering to the "Fuckin' A" comment as well as all the latest editorials on ATI).

~Adam

I haven't installed the X1800 XT yet, but the X1800 XL did not have Overdrive so I couldn't tell how hot it was running, and no third party app worked for the card yet.

If the X1800 XT doesn't have Overdrive do you know of any third party apps that might work with it to tell me the temp?

If I can figure out how to do it I'll definitely look into idle and full load temps.

Brent_Justice said:
I haven't installed the X1800 XT yet, but the X1800 XL did not have Overdrive so I couldn't tell how hot it was running, and no third party app worked for the card yet.

If the X1800 XT doesn't have Overdrive do you know of any third party apps that might work with it to tell me the temp?

If I can figure out how to do it I'll definitely look into idle and full load temps.

CCC has the temps in the overdrive section :confused:

Brent_Justice said:
yes, but as I mentioned the X1800 XL did not have Overdrive

I do not know if the X1800 XT does or not yet

I dont understand. I have the X1800XL and it has overdrive. AM I missing something? Do you have a different version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back