ATI drivers causing BSoD with > 1GB memory (XP x64)

dextrous

Gawd
System specs in sig. Heres the story....

I upgraded from 1GB of memory to 2GB (2x1024MB). Everything was fine and dandy. I finished running 24hrs or prime95 to test the stability of a CPU OC a couple days later. I took out 1 stick of memory to do some OC'ing but soon remembered to installed the new forceware 6.66 and catalyst 5.7's. Installed all that and life was great. Did some memory OC's and everything's cool. But then when I went back to 2x1GB I kept getting BSoD's. Every BSoD had a different message but when a file was mentioned it was always part of ATI's driver. So I set everything to stock settings but I was still getting it. I ran a few memtest86 loops on the memory and it checked out okay. Here's the weird part....

With 1 stick of memory installed (either one as long as its not in pairs) I have no problems, but as soon as I try to go to 2GB, I get BSoD's. Also once I uninstall the Catalyst drivers I get no BSoD with 2GB of memory. So, I removed 5.7, ran driver cleanup, and installed 5.5's again. Still get BSoD's with 2GB of memory. I think it may be a corrupt driver because the CCC doesn't work either. It just launches an infinate number of instances of CLI.exe when you try to use it but nothing ever appears on screen.

EDIT: And the plot thickens... 2GB of memory WILL work fine as long as its installed in single channel mode.

dextrous said:
I think it may be a corrupt driver because the CCC doesn't work either. It just launches an infinate number of instances of CLI.exe when you try to use it but nothing ever appears on screen.

I've seen that part happen (see quote) when you don't have the .NET package installed on XP32 systems, but since I don't run XP64 yet, not sure if that makes a difference or not. Might be something worth looking at.

You're saying this doesn't happen with just one stick of RAM (1x1024)?

Ax

Thanks for the reply.

I have the .NET x64 Beta 2 installed which I believe is the latest. I don't know if the CCC works with 1x1024MB, but I don't get the BSoDs and games work okay.

Dual channel mode with my setup and no bluescreens with my overclock, in xp64

I'm thinking more and more that its a corrupt driver. Anybody know a way to clean up the catalyst drivers that I may be missing? I've deleted references in the registry and any file/folder named ati. Then, I ran a registry cleaner and driver cleaner. Still have the problem. Maybe its just time to do a format?

DriverCleaner

Run ATI uninstaller, reboot to safe mode, run DC, reboot normally, install new drivers :D

dont forget to make DC wipes the windows cabs of ati references

oldmx

I had already ran Driver Cleaner but thanks for the help. I decided it wasn't worth screwing with and formatted the machine last night. Works great with a fresh install.

dextrous said:
I had already ran Driver Cleaner but thanks for the help. I decided it wasn't worth screwing with and formatted the machine last night. Works great with a fresh install.
Remember this next time your anxious to "try" new drivers out. It's not that you shouldn't, but be aware of the unintended consequences of doing so over and over.

Back