ATI drivers and linux

Hazards

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 9, 2003
Messages
343
has anyone successfully installed the drivers into Linux? got a 9600 and tryin to make it work :-(
 
Yes. I've installed them with GLX-support in XFree 4.2 on Debian/Unstable.

Get and install package from ATI. I used alien to convert to deb and then a forced-overwrite install.

Critical steps:

Use "fglrxconfig" to create a XF86Config-4 .. Keep your current one around and merge back anything you want to keep as it is today.

I always build my own kernel, and unless you're very lucky, you'll have to build the module-wrappers to match your kernel.

To do this, you

1. go to "/lib/module/fglrx/build_mod" and enter "./make.sh"
2. go to "/lib/module/fglrx" and enter "./make_install.sh"

Also make sure that there are no old nvidia or other stuff left. My first try I didn't get 3D-accelleration, because X would try to load an old GLCore.o (IIRC) left by the nvidia-installer. This is mentioned in the readme I think.

Addendum: While I don't think you need agpgart support in the kernel, I have so that should work. Same thing for the ATI DRI module in your kernel configuration (I think it'll be called 'radeon.o').
 
im using slackware 9.1, and ive read that you have to have dri in the kernel, but im not sure how to check that. i am using the bare.i kernel off the cd
 
Try and "insmod radeon.o" and see what happens. If there isn't a radeon.o on your system you'll have to get one, either from a package with kernel modules (which I have no idea if one exists, haven't run Slackware this side of 2000) or by recompiling the kernel.
 
Back
Top