ATI Driver Issue? HD 5000 Series

Emission

Supreme [H]ardness
Well, I'm getting pretty close to tossing ATi out the window in favor of Nvidia purely on the basis that Nvidia drivers can't be anywhere near this bad.

My HD 5830 is a sweet card, really is. I can run it at 985 Core / 1315 Mem all day, game for hours, and I don't have problems, but when it comes to simple things like sitting at the desktop it seems like it just can't handle it, and I'm talking about sitting at the desktop at my custom idle clocks of 300/600.

I've been having a problem with the desktop freezing up when the monitors are set to go idle/turn off. After those 10 minutes or so of idling and the screens going blank, it doesn't matter how long I wait to move the mouse and go back to the desktop. As soon as I do so, I lose the ability to click on my taskbar or anything else, and seconds later the mouse just freezes up. I tried a variety of CPU/GPU clock settings, the CPU settings were rock solid stable so I don't see how that could be causing this. So I figured maybe it's an issue with the drivers when it comes to blanking the monitors, so I disabled this and the monitors don't go idle anymore, I just turn them off when I'm not using the computer, and it doesn't seem to be a problem, the computer doesn't freeze up like this anymore.

I thought my problems were gone, but this morning I went to log back in from locking the computer at the login screen, and nothing shows up. I logged in, and its just blank, no cursor or nothing, and I had to restart the computer. I'm thinking that maybe the power saving settings I have enabled are putting the cpu into a lower speed/voltage configuration that's just not that stable, and I haven't tried disabling that yet, but heres the icing on the cake: I go to install the very newest ATI drivers, 11.1, straight from amd.com, and they wont even freaking install. I've never had any problems before when it came to straight-up updating the drivers, but when I go to click "install" in the ATI installer, the program seems to crash and windows tells me that its going to run the program with compatibility settings the next time it runs, so wtf? I can't even install the newest drivers, great. The drivers installed are the default windows ones that install from windows update, and I haven't been having any catastrophic problems with them but I was hoping that these minor issues would go away with an update........... oh wait, I can't update them >_<.

I'm gonna try dropping the CPU to stock settings, and keeping the GPU at stock clocks, and see if the problems persist, but has anyone been having similar problems and/or have suggestions?

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, computer configuration in the sig, and the 5830 has a Scythe aftermarket heatsink on it that keeps the whole card a lot colder than the stock cooler did.

On the 10.12 drivers I was having issues with the computer getting a BSOD when the monitor would try to go into standby, but the 11.1s seem to have fixed it.

Last edited:
I found out that installing the new driver was a problem with Visual Studio (something about mfc80.dll being wonky), but I got the hotfix from microsoft and the new 11.1 driver installed fine.

Keeping my fingers crossed........

I found out that installing the new driver was a problem with Visual Studio (something about mfc80.dll being wonky), but I got the hotfix from microsoft and the new 11.1 driver installed fine.

Keeping my fingers crossed........

I've been fine with the last few drivers, but after installing 11.1 or 11.1a, I've been getting constant BSODs.

Which driver version would you say was the last highly-stable version?

Hi, Emission,

I don't know if it "was the last highly-stable version", but I've had no problems with 10.4s and my 4890 and 5850.

YMMV.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

10.4 for HD 4890.
10.3 had shadow problems/flickering textures in Crysis.
5xxx? no idea.

Back