ATI + Doom 3 = Shadow Corruption?

Nihilanth99

2[H]4U
I've had this problem ever since Catalyst 8.6 or so on both XP and Vista. Running 9.1 right now on a clean Vista install. GPU is a BBA X1950XTX. Temperatures are well within limits, and this occurs with and without overclocks applied.

In-game settings are all maxed out with 4x AA and vsync disabled. Catalyst settings are all set to maximum quality except for vsync always off and Cataylst AI on standard.

From what I understand, id tech 4 does use an interlacing technique internally as part of the shadow rendering, but it shouldn't be visible like this:

shadowinterlacingmx1.jpg

Anyone else ever seen this? I'm going to go and test with various Catalyst settings enabled/disabled to see if I can find an offender.

HAHAHA found it! That dastardly Catalyst AI has been causing it this whole time. Once disabled, the shadow corruption is gone. I hope this can help anyone else who is experiencing the same issues.

WTH does catalyst AI do ? with my X2 several games have this kind of shit with it enabled

WTH does catalyst AI do ? with my X2 several games have this kind of shit with it enabled

It's a bunch of application specific tweaks that will raise performance a tiny bit, but usually at the cost of image quality. A lot of times the tricks they use to gain performance wind up creating really buggy situations like this. I usually keep it turned off because the minimal performance you gain just isn't worth the possibility of something as ugly as this.

Back