ATI cuts prices for 4870

Cometer

Weaksauce
ATI fights NVIDIA's rebranding with better pricing. Prices cut for the 4870 range and below

http://www.dailytech.com/Radeon+487...Radeon+4850+Will+Drop+to+129/article14433.htm

As if things weren't bad enough for NVIDIA...
According to news we can also expect a price cut of the 4870X2 in the upcoming weeks.

I am in the market looking for a new graphics card. I really wanted to pick NVIDIA for the games that support CUDA physix, but the way I see things right now, choosing a NVIDIA card is becomming less and less atractive. With this price cut even the GTX 260 stops making sense.

NVIDIA needs a fast answer or else I'm jumping to the red side

Damn.. I just ordered my 4870. I got it for $128 ar though, so I guess I cant complain much eh.

I dont know why you would want to. Just buy another 4850. Your 4870 will clock down to the 4850 speeds anyways.
I thought that only applied to the RAM, so you could CF two cards and if one has more RAM than the other, it will only use the lower amount of RAM (ie a 1GB + 512mb CF only uses 512mb each)

Great price on that 4870. It was a great buy at $200!!!

My daughter's comp has one and it is a great performer......( she plays CS:S and L4D with the big boys and holds her own!)

I suppose this will put the 4850 finally below the $100 mark (AMIR).

will this effect price on 4870 1gb version? Going to order one soon but i wonder if i should wait.

Absolutely no excuse to not own an excellent video card right now.

Absolutely.
While I won't be purchasing a 4870 (too small of a jump from my current 8800GTS512)
This brings a whole new level of performance for the $150 mark AND gamer class cards like 4830(4750) and 4850 at low-end prices.

nVidia has no choice but to slash their own prices too.
At $150 9800GTX vs 4870 its clear which is the obvious choice here...

Each day NVIDIA is loosing customers. I was pretty determined to buy a NVIDIA graphics card. I wanted CUDA and physx for extra eye candy. But frankly with the new ATI drivers there are games that with a cheaper ATI graphics card have better performance than the NVIDIA counterpart.
Even if I want CUDA and physics the huge gap between performance and price leads to the unavoiable decision to buy an ATI graphics card.
I'm building a complete new system. As anyone on the market I'm looking for what can give me the most power at the best price. I already passed my date limit to buy a new system, since I was expecting NVIDIA
to give a price answer faster. They have about two weeks to answer my prayers or else the next card sitting on my new build will be a RED one.

Each day NVIDIA is loosing customers. I was pretty determined to buy a NVIDIA graphics card. I wanted CUDA and physx for extra eye candy. But frankly with the new ATI drivers there are games that with a cheaper ATI graphics card have better performance than the NVIDIA counterpart.
Even if I want CUDA and physics the huge gap between performance and price leads to the unavoiable decision to buy an ATI graphics card.
I'm building a complete new system. As anyone on the market I'm looking for what can give me the most power at the best price. I already passed my date limit to buy a new system, since I was expecting NVIDIA
to give a price answer faster. They have about two weeks to answer my prayers or else the next card sitting on my new build will be a RED one.

Cometer: Your words are so very true! I had owned 3 Nvidia-based VC's in a row & my last ATI was a 9500PRO 128MB AGP from years ago. I picked up a HIS 4870 1GB for $179.99 w/ a free game (STALKER) & free shipping. I couldn't pass it up three weeks ago. Nvidia just didn't have anything that could beat the 4870 price wise or performace. My ATI 9.1 drivers have been soild w/ no dropouts.

Absolutely no excuse to not own an excellent video card right now.

Regardless of price, not everyone can afford something. Take me for instance, I'm running an ATI 4830 because that's all I could afford with the rest of the parts (18, no job (yet)), BUT!! I'm perfectly happy with it.

Back