ATi Crossfire question.

Kanderus

n00b
Hello again! Before reading this please be well informed that I am a Crossfire n00b, and only an amature computer tech at best.

I recently have ordered more or less a new computer (upgrades, but everything I need to make a new PC... case/PSU, mobo, ram, HDD, GPU etc.) and the mobo I have coming is the MSI MS-7548 (Aspen). It comes with the Radeon HD 3200 IGP which from what I have read is the best IGP on the market. I also own a Radeon HD 4350 PCI-E card. I know the latter supports crossfire and I hear that the 3200 does as well so I would really like to make that happen! However, this is where I need some help and questions answered. I would assume that the 3200 and the 4350 require different sets of drivers, right? If so, how do you get both chips to run at the same time? I have never used Crossfire or SLI so the whole concept is exciting but confusing. From what I have seen and read, most people use Crossfire or SLI with duplicate cards (2 HD 4850s, or 2 9800GTs.) so to make a stand alone card work with an IGP is confusing.

Also, I would really like to OC my HD3200 IGP. I have seen some amazing videos of what a 3200 can do on it's own NOT OCd and when OCd can handle some newer games albeit at low settings. From my understanding the core clock speed is 500MHz default, and is OC-able to 1000MHz, but most people seem to stay within the 750-950MHz range. How do I overclock this chip? I thought I saw something about an OC tool being in the Catalyst Control Center, but as I don't have any ATi cards right now, I can't look for myself.

Thank you for your time, and any helpful response is very, very much appreciated!

--Rob.

can this type of crossfire configuration function,never have read about this before
post back with your test results when you get the hardware in operation and let me know

I have not tried it yet, but I have heard you May need to stay within the generation. Such as the 3200 IGP with a 3xxx series discrete card.

I will test it out with my 4250 IGP and 5850 right now.

Well. I confirmed that the crossfire option doesn't even show up when using 4250 IGP and a PCIe 5850, running the 10.9 drivers

Thank you for all the responses! I too have come to find out (through your links!) that the HD3200 IGP is only crossfire-able with 3series and SOME 2 series cards. I am thinking I might just let the 4350 I have collect some dust and invest in a nVidia GeForce GT 240. It'll do SC2 at 1280x720 Ultra settings and handle WoW without a hitch for a decent price.

Bummer, I was really hoping to Crossfire these two GPUs =(

As for overclocking a card, is there a web site out there that tests different makes/models of GPUs to see what their tollereances are for OC? I know a stock GT 240 is nice, but if I can get a little for bang out of my buck that would be killer!! =D I understand there are variables like air flow, cooling, etc etc but perhaps a ball park range would be nice =D

Also, thank you much for your posts, opinions, links and help! I've only been a member of Hardforum for a week or two but the feeling of community I get around here is awesome! Please get back to me either in the thread or via PM about overclocking as that is something I have never really tried and I would hate to fry my GPU staight away.

Back