• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ATI Catalyst 5.12's discussion

phorensic

n00b
Joined
Jun 18, 2003
Messages
61
ATI Catalyst 5.12. Discuss...


I have a few questions. When you go to download the new cats it makes it seem as though you can only get it with the crappy CCC. I just want the driver without CCC, they list one in the Low-Speed Dial-Up section, but almost as if you also have to download the two other parts. And what's up with the WDM driver being only 4MB? The last few versions have been over 25MB.
 
Did not know they were out, I tried the 5.11b which were pretty good, gonna download when I get home, as for CCC only it is what ATI wants you to get. You can browse their site and find the CP version with 18mb dload. Or go to www.guru3d.com they have the CP version there, it will take you to ATI download thing.
 
Is it me or doesn't the CCC want to open?

I can adjust everything with rightmouse in the tray, but the CCC itself won't open. :confused:
 
Does 5.12 correct the FEAR bug? It's not listed as a resolved issue in the notes.
 
Apple740 said:
Is it me or doesn't the CCC want to open?

I can adjust everything with rightmouse in the tray, but the CCC itself won't open. :confused:
having same problem....
 
thelostrican said:
having same problem....
.NET framework 1.1

2.0 won't work with it.

If you go to find a driver and select all the appropriate things, you can download the DD CP (Display Driver, Control Panel), instead of DD CCC (Display Driver, Catalyst Control Center)

File should look like this.

5-11_xp-2k_dd_cp_wdm_27345.exe

I just checked it for the 5.12... looks as if they only offer CCC as of now :(
 
Mayhs said:
fear bug?

I think Diseaseboy is talking about the optimization ATI wrote for F.E.A.R. that actually caused worse performance because of a syntax error in the code. Thats why ATI users get a boost when they rename the FEAR.exe file to something else, or turn off Catalyst AI.

I am also curious about this "fix." Anyone know if I can turn CAT AI back on?
 
Borgschulze said:
.NET framework 1.1

2.0 won't work with it.
Just learned that the hard way, although since I am too lazy to do anything about it, I just made all my changes from the icon, one really don't have to go in the program anyways. Worked for me.
 
Catalyst Control Center is rediculous.

Waste of Memory if you ask me, if you even bother with the manual settings of the video card, you either know what you're doing, or you read about what it does before and at least know what the settings do.

I don't think anybody cares about a stupid preview of a Ferrari F-50 driving down a road.

If I wanted to see an F-50 I would just download the 9800Pro Realtime Demo and look at it in high detail.


Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on ATi, I just think CCC is stupid and a waste of memory.
I hate nVidia because of the extreme Moiring I was getting in some games.
My next card will be ATi too.
 
I'm waiting for the control panel version, always hated NetFrame, never really used CCC. Right not the 5.11 CP ver. suits me well.
 
Been debating on getting the newest ati drivers. I still play Dark Ages of Camelot and their newest expansion hates ATI cards. :mad:

Some have recommended going back to versions as far back 5.2 to run stable. I'm just ticked because I play GuildWars and BF2 that work perfect on my 5.11 drivers.
 
iori yagami said:
why have ati stopped releasing the cp bundle? no way in hell im downloading ccc

what in the what? I was about to say you are wrong but go to ati to check it out first and :mad:

Guess I'm going to have to upgrade at some point


and it looks like it will be 5.13 before there is official x1600 support but the inquirer says it will be out this year
 
iori yagami said:
i do not welcome bad progress..


why because they have a real world example of how windows vista is going to be rather than "surprise!"

that whole 5 meg taking up too much memory of yoru computer now?

come on
 
Netrat33 said:
why because they have a real world example of how windows vista is going to be rather than "surprise!"

that whole 5 meg taking up too much memory of yoru computer now?

come on

i dont like bloatware and that i cant pick 120hz, which i can with the cp.
 
^^^

Don't expect nvidia to offer a solution too when Vista comes out. You're going to have to have it.

As to 120hz, that might have been fixed but I'm assuming your judging everything from the first couple of releases because a lot of bugs and memory footprints have been fixed considerably.

I have th option for 120hz with CCC and i know my monitor isn't even capable of that (LCD)
 
Borgschulze said:
Catalyst Control Center is rediculous.

Waste of Memory if you ask me, if you even bother with the manual settings of the video card, you either know what you're doing, or you read about what it does before and at least know what the settings do.

I don't think anybody cares about a stupid preview of a Ferrari F-50 driving down a road.

If I wanted to see an F-50 I would just download the 9800Pro Realtime Demo and look at it in high detail.


Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on ATi, I just think CCC is stupid and a waste of memory.
I hate nVidia because of the extreme Moiring I was getting in some games.
My next card will be ATi too.

lawl. That ferrari is there for a reason. Do you not realise that when you adjust the settings on the side panels the the quality of the image is altered? Its to help you adjust the image/video settings to a point where you like the performance and quality.
 
TehRoflcopter said:
lawl. That ferrari is there for a reason. Do you not realise that when you adjust the settings on the side panels the the quality of the image is altered? Its to help you adjust the image/video settings to a point where you like the performance and quality.

But....if you're the kind of person that KNOWS what they're doing and KNOWS what all the settings do, then why would I need that visual representation??
If you're the kind of person that updates their drivers frequently then chances are you already know what the different settings do.
 
since CCC is a pile of garbage, I just downloaded the driver only portion of the 5.12's, and downloaded the 5.11 control panel, installed the display drivers, restarted and then installed the CP.

My CSS benchmark dropped 14 fps, 112fps down to 98.

Yet my games seem to run smooth.

System = Dual Xeon 3.2ghz
 
Netrat33 said:
^^^

Don't expect nvidia to offer a solution too when Vista comes out. You're going to have to have it.

As to 120hz, that might have been fixed but I'm assuming your judging everything from the first couple of releases because a lot of bugs and memory footprints have been fixed considerably.

I have th option for 120hz with CCC and i know my monitor isn't even capable of that (LCD)

last time i tried ccc was with cat 5.11 and then i could only pick 85hz.
 
New Features
The Catalyst® 5.12 software suite introduces dual core support for CPU bound cases. This feature provides improved graphics performance for DX 9 supported graphics adapters installed in systems running the Windows XP and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition operating systems.

Anyone tested this ?
 
Download the CCC drivers, then during the install choose custom install, then uncheck CCC. Download and use ATI tray tools to make AA/AF adjustments.........Unless you're a X1000 owner and want to use HQ AF or Adaptive AA, then you will have to use CCC.
 
Installed the 5.12 drivers and ran 3DMark05 and got the predicted increase from 9644 to 9758 marks, game testing will have to wait. It's a X1800XT oc'd in CCC to 690/800 and cpu is a X2 4400+ @ 2.64Ghz.

The thing that pisses me off about the CCC is that you can only clock the core to 690Mhz, when they let the companies that distibute them clock them to 700Mhz :confused: .
 
I hate bloat. I refuse to have the .NET framework installed for my god damn display driver. Looks like I'll be archiving my old version of the ati driver. Damn you ATi. Damn you and your bling practices. My display driver should drive my video card and give me maximum control with a minimal footprint.
 
kleptophobiac said:
I hate bloat. I refuse to have the .NET framework installed for my god damn display driver. Looks like I'll be archiving my old version of the ati driver. Damn you ATi. Damn you and your bling practices. My display driver should drive my video card and give me maximum control with a minimal footprint.
The Catalyst Control Center (CCC) requires the .NET framework, NOT the display drivers.

What's wrong with the .NET framework anyway?
 
Shameless Liar said:
The Catalyst Control Center (CCC) requires the .NET framework, NOT the display drivers.

What's wrong with the .NET framework anyway?

n00b question: what exactly IS the .NET framework??
I could've sworn I had to install it when I do Windows updates...?(in other words: required to have on your pc?)
 
BlackDragon323 said:
But....if you're the kind of person that KNOWS what they're doing and KNOWS what all the settings do, then why would I need that visual representation??
If you're the kind of person that updates their drivers frequently then chances are you already know what the different settings do.


You can disable the previews...
 
Hmm, I was reluctant to switch over to the CCC, but I decided to give it a try. Installed the .NET Framework (which I was also reluctant to do), uninstalled my previous Catalyst suite (5.9), rebooted when prompted, and installed the whole new 5.12 suite which included the CCC. Rebooted when prompted again. Loaded up Windows, and decided to take a look around the CCC to see what the big deal was.

The small area where the car is driving on the road was messed up, artifacting heavily. My 9700 is cooled by a VGA Silencer, so I know it isn't a heat issue. Anyhow, it spreads and hard-locks my computer, leaving me with this:

http://www.thequietrevolution.ca/quiet/IMG_3970.JPG

Needless to say, I'm back on the old 5.11 and the old-school Control Panel. I'm not exactly happy with ATI and their driver team right now... At least give us a choice with the old CP.
 
TehRoflcopter said:
lawl. That ferrari is there for a reason. Do you not realise that when you adjust the settings on the side panels the the quality of the image is altered? Its to help you adjust the image/video settings to a point where you like the performance and quality.
Yeah, but you can bet that the ferrari demo has been super optimized to show an unrealistic performance boost when IQ is turned up. In fact, I wouldn't even be completely surprised if that demo is just a bunch of pre-rendered videos that change around when you move your AF bar back and forth :rolleyes: .

CCC takes way too long to load. CP has no load screen and it's much easier to maneuver around in.
 
GVX said:
Yeah, but you can bet that the ferrari demo has been super optimized to show an unrealistic performance boost when IQ is turned up. In fact, I wouldn't even be completely surprised if that demo is just a bunch of pre-rendered videos that change around when you move your AF bar back and forth :rolleyes: .

CCC takes way too long to load. CP has no load screen and it's much easier to maneuver around in.

I don't understand your points about the CCC's ferrari video. All it's suppose to do is show the effects of different levels of IQ. Thats it period.

The negative affect of that is it still gives an unrealistic idea to a new user. "Oh, that looks awesome (6xAA and 16xAF)" Meanwhile he loads up XX game on his X300 to find out that its barely playable.

I do agree that CCC is a bloated program...
 
For those that dont like seing the ferrari, you know it is possible to do this

ccc.jpg
 
I don't mind the .net framework, but my video card shouldn't have to use it to let me configure it. There's nothing wrong with the minimal control panel.

To make a gross generalization, people who like the CCC probably like lights in their computers, spoilers on their Corollas, and Mr. T's necklaces.
 
BlackDragon323 said:
But....if you're the kind of person that KNOWS what they're doing and KNOWS what all the settings do, then why would I need that visual representation??
If you're the kind of person that updates their drivers frequently then chances are you already know what the different settings do.

help educate people. Not everyone surfs forums.
You have the option to turn it off too. I don't ever use it for example
 
I have been using CCC for about 2 months now. The interface is actually pretty nice once you get used to it. Problem is CCC takes forever to load!!!!! 10-20 seconds!!!! CP = 1-3 seconds? This is retarded. If ATI can get the load time under 5 seconds I doubt people would complain about CCC, but a 10-20 second load time just to change a few settings is ridiculous.

PS. Omega Drivers are always an option.
 
ClearM4 said:
I have been using CCC for about 2 months now. The interface is actually pretty nice once you get used to it. Problem is CCC takes forever to load!!!!! 10-20 seconds!!!! CP = 1-3 seconds? This is retarded. If ATI can get the load time under 5 seconds I doubt people would complain about CCC, but a 10-20 second load time just to change a few settings is ridiculous.

PS. Omega Drivers are always an option.

Ug 10 to 20 seconds, time to catch up on your email. Well turn on your raid and you'll be loading up in that 5 seconds and you will be that cute lovable guy that everyone remembered before your life took a turn for the worst.
 
BTW. There is a rumor that ATI has a christmas present of Cat 5.13
 
Back
Top