• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ATI cards & F@H

How many ATI users here do GPU F@H?

  • Folding with 1600, 1800 or 1900 series ATI card

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Folding with 2600, 2900, 3600, or 3800 series ATI card

    Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Once did GPU folding with ATI card, now own Nvidia card

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Never did GPU Folding @ Home

    Votes: 25 46.3%

  • Total voters
    54

bmaverick

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 18, 2008
Messages
231
So, how many members here do Folding @ Home using the GPU client on the ATI cards?
 
I think this is best asked in the Distributing Computing forum, but I participated anyway. I have an AGP X1950 512MB card in a P4 system. You realize that in about a month's time Stanford will drop support for the GPU1 client and the older 1000-series cards?

 
Folding with a 3870 & 3870x2. Both are doing great. More productive than SMP on XP. :D
 
Folding with a 3870 & 3870x2. Both are doing great. More productive than SMP on XP. :D
What's your system specs? I'm thinking of getting a 4000-series card sometime this summer if the new client supports it.
 
See sig for specs... I do both GPU and CPU folding when not in a game.

Run CPU folding unless a prog requires too much CPU power.
 
I have a X1800XT 512meg and I am scared running something that will max out my video card. The card runs hot as hell as is. I have upgraded to aftermarkeet cooling but I am still not going to try it with this video card. maybe when I upgrade.
 
I tried folding with a x1650pro once... got 300 some WU's and no points in one day. Didn't feel like fixing it, never went back to gpu folding.
 
I have an ATI GPU, but I fold with my core 2 duo because, apparently, there is no GPU client for my 1950 anymore :/
 
I have a X1800XT 512meg and I am scared running something that will max out my video card. The card runs hot as hell as is. I have upgraded to aftermarkeet cooling but I am still not going to try it with this video card. maybe when I upgrade.
The video card doesn't get as hot as you might imagine. My 512MB X1950 is OC with the OEM HSF. I just leave the side of my case open to expel most of the heat and it does fine as long as I keep the frequency within reasonable limits at around 630MHz.

I have an ATI GPU, but I fold with my core 2 duo because, apparently, there is no GPU client for my 1950 anymore :/
I read that it was removed from Stanford's DL pages but it's still being issued WUs from the servers. If you can get the file from someone you'll be able to fold on your card until Stanford stops supporting it completely.


 
I have a X1800XT 512meg and I am scared running something that will max out my video card. The card runs hot as hell as is. I have upgraded to aftermarkeet cooling but I am still not going to try it with this video card. maybe when I upgrade.

The video card doesn't get as hot as you might imagine. My 512MB X1950 is OC with the OEM HSF. I just leave the side of my case open to expel most of the heat and it does fine as long as I keep the frequency within reasonable limits at around 630MHz.
I am getting a new video card soon, most likely a Saphire Toxic 3870, I may try it out ofter that. with a dual core CPU pluse the video card I may actually be able to get a few Work Units done.
 
Never did GPU Folding @ Home

im on a x1300 until the radion 4870 comes out
 
Never did GPU Folding @ Home

im on a x1300 until the radion 4870 comes out
To be honest, the X1300 would be a poor choice for a folding GPU. Actually, any card with less than 512MB of memory doesn't perform that well, even a 1900-series. The best cards to fold for the original client are the PCI-E X1950XTX with 512MB, which I believe also had faster memory.

In any event, Stanford will not be sending any more work to the GPU1 clients, and already support for the 1000-series cards has been greatly reduced by the removal of the GPU1 client from Stanford's DL pages. I'm still receiving work for my client, but no idea how long that will last. The 3000 and especially 4000-series cards are the way to go from a power consumption/work production basis. A 3850/70 can produce over 2000PPD with the current units. My next card is almost certainly going to be a 4870 or 4870X2.
 
I did GPU folding on my x1950pro along with a single cpu client, until someone told me that the SMP client would produce more PPD, and it seems to be true, but to be honest I never actually looked to test it, The SMP client uses less engery, and its less hassle for me to use.

How do the ATi cards of now do on PPD? on say a 2 core intel/AMD rig? in comparison to said computers running SMP.
 
I did GPU folding on my x1950pro along with a single cpu client, until someone told me that the SMP client would produce more PPD, and it seems to be true, but to be honest I never actually looked to test it, The SMP client uses less engery, and its less hassle for me to use.

How do the ATi cards of now do on PPD? on say a 2 core intel/AMD rig? in comparison to said computers running SMP.

It varies greatly on the CPU. With high clock speed C2D or X2 your GPU will do 2000+ PPD. I would guess that running a GPU2 client and a single console client would get more PPD than a single SMP client in most cases. (Just an educated guess.;))

I have a 2.4GHz X2 and I get about 1200 PPD with the GPU2 client and about 900ish PPD with the SMP client. A friend of mine has a 3.0GHz C2D and his GPU2 client does 2100 PPD.
 
To be honest, the X1300 would be a poor choice for a folding GPU. Actually, any card with less than 512MB of memory doesn't perform that well, even a 1900-series. The best cards to fold for the original client are the PCI-E X1950XTX with 512MB, which I believe also had faster memory.

In any event, Stanford will not be sending any more work to the GPU1 clients, and already support for the 1000-series cards has been greatly reduced by the removal of the GPU1 client from Stanford's DL pages. I'm still receiving work for my client, but no idea how long that will last. The 3000 and especially 4000-series cards are the way to go from a power consumption/work production basis. A 3850/70 can produce over 2000PPD with the current units. My next card is almost certainly going to be a 4870 or 4870X2.

i know that and thats why im not folding on the gpu and selected "Never did GPU Folding @ Home". i only got the card off newegg for $20 just to hold me over on my new build in my sig.
 
Back
Top