ATi Canceling X850XT Orders?

Major_A

[H]ard|Gawd
I saw this on the front page so I thought this would be a good place to ask. Is it me or does it seem that since they can not get any of thier "gamer" cards to the public are they in trouble? This releasing PR copies of the card and little more seems like the company is having financial hardships. The X800 XL is supposed to have a MSRP of $299 but I doubt that we will see that price point until the new line of vaporware cards are released. I have an ATi card in my gaming machine but this is the last one. This company seems to be misleading thier customers and to be honest I would rather buy American technology.

Thoughts?

I wonder if the "actual price" is gonna shoot way up now due to "limited supply"... no wait.. how many people that wanted an 850XT actually did get their hands on an 850XT? How many were waiting on the x800XTPE?

This is starting to be a bad trend for ATI if this ends up happening...

I'm still waiting on pre-order for an X800XL and X850XT PE and the wait is starting to get kinda old. I realize there are a few OEM versions and whatnot in stock at vendors for over MSRP but why can't ATI get their act togethor and start shipping some damn cards already.

I have my 850XT in my computer right now. Sapphire OEM from NewEgg for $504. Im looking for threads on oc limits for this thing.

I own and love my X800XTPE from Sapphire... :D but a X850XTPE would be nice on a new PCIx system

I have not been on the board for a while now, well not really, other than just poping in and checking my USER CP. Im not very sure how old this thread is now.
BUT,
Here is an E-mail I received from ATI three days ago.

--Dear Andre

We are sorry to inform you that we will no longer be able to fulfill your current order on the RADEON X850 XT.

The RADEON X800 PLATINUM is available in limited supply at our retailer partners such as Best Buy and CompUSA.

In addition, we have only begun to start taking pre-orders on the latest RADEON X800XL. There are a limited number of these units so if you would like to place your order please do so at your earliest convenience.

For your patience and loyalty we have authorized our ShopATI Online Store staff to offer you a bonus if you decide to replace your existing order with a preorder for the RADEON X800XL. This bonus offer is time sensitive and expires this Friday at 9AM Eastern Central Time. When contacting the ShopATI Store please mention Priority Code: RADPXXXX to receive your bonus offer. Please call 1-888-9SHOPATI or 1-888-974-6728, Monday through Friday, 9AM - 9PM EST.

Your patience is appreciated and we look forward to hearing from you, Andre.

Sincerely,

ShopATI Customer Care--

Now when I checked the ATI site the above mentioned Bonus offer for the above mentioned Card is also not available either and then again will it be? if I do decide to
re-order it, and well while I was there on the ATI site I figured ahh what the hell, why not look see and sure enough, ATI is still listing the X850 XT PE in the price list not to mention the fact how they are still Adverstising it on the site and how they are still patting them selfs on the back at how good it is and so on and so on.

Does anyone have any info as to what problem ATI is having, or are they about to go belly up? This really getting to be a Frelling pain the Arss and real head ache.

Dre

Edit: I just got off the phone with ATI, and the X850 XT & PE has been discontinued ATI is no longer offering that card and the site should have been updated to reflect this, or better yet there should be no ads or promos for the X850 XT & PE, and the guy I talked to had no clue as to why, also i BROKE DOWN and I bit, yuppers I took the offer with a 20% discount for the X800 XL PCie for a total of $254 and change. -Preorder that is- Oh Hum ?

Dre

They're probably just waiting for the release of the r520 core to get cards to the consumer. Its only a couple months away, wait for that card to come out. 850xt old tech :rolleyes:

Guess I am sticking with Nvidia......really wanted to try an ATI part.

I really don't see how ATi is staying in business. They release all these wonderful cards, and then you can't find any of them for sale! The X800XTPE, AIWX800XT, X850XT are all great cards, and the precious few that you do find for sale have been so price gouged that it's not worth the money.

Impu|se said:
They're probably just waiting for the release of the r520 core to get cards to the consumer. Its only a couple months away, wait for that card to come out. 850xt old tech :rolleyes:

Something tells me if ATi is having trouble with supplying X850 cards, then I doubt they'll have much luck providing us R520 cards on time and in quantity, even if it's on a new manufacturing process...

I hope I'm wrong though.

Seems like they're having manufacturing problems with the high end parts... They designed a nifty chip but I guess they can't get decent yields on them.. maybe they had bet on the foundries figuring out a way to help yields but it fell through and they're stuck having over committed to the public... again.

I was wondering why nVidia hadn't released something to couter this last round of refreshes but I guess they already knew Ati wouldn't be able to deliver.

It's funny because ATI said the X850 would solve the availability problems... :eek: :confused:

The cards are available, just not directly from ATi.

Within the past few weeks, they have been at MSRP, or even lower. In fact, newegg has a X850XT for MSRP in stock (OEM though) at MSRP.

Both ATi and NV are having problems getting a lot of highend PCI-E cards out. Which is why both of their cards are usually selling for over MSRP. Why do people think its only ATI?

I'm really starting to think that you guys aren't even trying to look for the cards. Newegg.com & Pricewatch.com are very good places to start. I just saw someone note on rage channel that you can get x850s and x800xt aiws for below msrp as well now (pricewatch seems to confirm that). x800 standards and xl's are also dropping as well, but not quite below or at msrp yet. The agp x800 xts are also selling below msrp and have been available for a long time too. Those in the states and canada, shouldn't be having issues finding them unless you're trying to get them direct from ATI or from a store like compusa (which has them, but in very low quantities it seems).

Major_A said:
This company seems to be misleading thier customers and to be honest I would rather buy American technology.

Thoughts?

People were saying the same thing when the X800XT line was released, you can't blame ATI if Samsung can't fill their orders*.

*Samsung being the RAM supplier for the X800 line. For the most part they are responsible for the lack of actual X800XT PEs due to their inability to fill the orders from ATI.

_smb_ said:
I was wondering why nVidia hadn't released something to couter this last round of refreshes but I guess they already knew Ati wouldn't be able to deliver.
Why would they have too? If ATI's cards are nothing more the paper tigers I don't see why NV needs to release a revision to counter it.

Honestly I don't think theres any availablity issues, ATI is simply just selling these units to OEMs then to end users. They make more money and the enthusiast gets screwed unless he wants to pay over MSRP or get an Alienware or Dell.

BTW I just noticed that the frontpage has another X800XT PE review linked.
ATi Radeon X800XT PE:
It would seem that the crew at TweakNews, after reviewing the ATi Radeon X800XT PE, have come to the same conclusion as everyone else that has reviewed the card…great performance, no availability.

Its' exceptional benchmarking and power is something you should definitely be considered and admired, but I just can't get a couple major nagging issues out of the back of my mind. What are they you ask? For one, let me make this question perfectly clear.......WHERE THE HELL CAN YOU BUY THIS CARD??!!

For comparison purposes, make sure to check out our X800 series round up here.
LOL

gordon151 said:
I'm really starting to think that you guys aren't even trying to look for the cards.
I shouldn't have to do the geek equivalent of hunting down Nazis in South America and it doesn't look good when even ATI is cancelling their own pre-orders.

Spectre said:
becasue ATI sent out the email canceling preorders?

Then dont try to buy from ATi?

I linked to a X850XT in stock, for MSRP. How much easier can it get?

fallguy said:

Some people get discounts from ATI so they would really like their orders filled.

Spectre said:
Some people get discounts from ATI so they would really like their orders filled.
Plus $50 off if you trade in an old card.... although in this case I guess that doesn't really matter if ATI can't even get one. ;)

burningrave101 said:
I'm still waiting on pre-order for an X800XL and X850XT PE and the wait is starting to get kinda old. I realize there are a few OEM versions and whatnot in stock at vendors for over MSRP but why can't ATI get their act togethor and start shipping some damn cards already.
When I got mine back in June 2004, I had no idea how rare these things would be. What is exactly ATIs problem in getting them out?

haroldmeyer said:
When I got mine back in June 2004, I had no idea how rare these things would be. What is exactly ATIs problem in getting them out?
They blame it on Samsung not being able to make enough ram chips but ATI seems to be able to find enough to ship to review sites and Dell. ;)

this seems a bit like when Nvidia had a bad run right around the time the xbox was released(5800fx anyone?) I wonder if the Xbox2 deal for ATI is affecting their retail card production?

MAngelo said:
this seems a bit like when Nvidia had a bad run right around the time the xbox was released(5800fx anyone?) I wonder if the Xbox2 deal for ATI is affecting their retail card production?
How would you explain the problems with the orginal X800 series? I'm not sure if ATI was even working on the xbox2 GPU then.

funny cause in france we have them in stock here here for direct sale in paris !

im currently running on an x800xt pe. never heard of a shortage... why are you guies still even buying "built by ATI" cards ???

there are also :
Sapphire
Gigabyte
Asus
Abit
.............. gecube....HiS... powercolor.....

"Hey I read it on the internet. It must be true"

Ok the original post where this "story" came from...is from a freakin FORUM. How about waiting to hear the official word from a reputable news source. :rolleyes:

I got this email...straight from ATI people!!!!!!!! ....!!!!!

Dear Customer Netrat33,
We know you are one of the lucky few to own a x800xtpe videocard. We'd like it back. If not we'll infect you with a virus. Not your computer. You personally.

Thank you. And always support ATI.

It's in BOLD! you know I'm serious.

Do people really trade in their old ATi cards for only $50? Any card within the past 3-4 years is worth more than that selling on a forum. I may trade in a 8500 or something fro $50, but nothing newer.

The fact is, the X850XT is out there, and for MSRP. Not its not retail, but its still easily bought. If people really wanted one, they could get one. But then Im betting most people who are complaining, dont want one anyways, they just like to complain.

Yes it sucks if true that they cancelled someones order, especially if they got some sort of discount. Its not the end or the world, as the cards are out there.

fallguy said:
Do people really trade in their old ATi cards for only $50? Any card within the past 3-4 years is worth more than that selling on a forum. I may trade in a 8500 or something fro $50, but nothing newer.
They take even ISA vid cards.

For $50 no matter what? If so, thats a good deal.. and if they cancelled orders for people who are trying to do that, does suck for them.

fallguy said:

Yep, got mine in three days fron Newegg ;)
But if ATI is canceling orders now availability might get worse... :confused:

CrimandEvil said:
I shouldn't have to do the geek equivalent of hunting down Nazis in South America and it doesn't look good when even ATI is cancelling their own pre-orders.

You mean going to newegg.com or pricewatch.com is excessively hard? Where do you buy your pc parts? CompUSA?

LyCoS said:
funny cause in france we have them in stock here here for direct sale in paris !

im currently running on an x800xt pe. never heard of a shortage... why are you guies still even buying "built by ATI" cards ???
Because early released BBA use the best batches of core gpu and samsung memory........exept for engineering sample cards..

Severe shortages do suck, but you guys gotta remember the supply and demand thing. The demand is huge, supply is short because of it. The only time something can stay in supply for a while, is if it's just ok or middle of the road, then they are easy to get, but there is usually something better, which would be exactly what these X800XT's are. I also do not know what you people are bitching about, I just ordered an X850 XT from monarch for 482, and from what I have seen, nobody makes an X850 XT PT in PCI-E form, but so what, I can OC this one way higher then PT's anyway. Oh yeah, anyone want to give me $100 for a slightly fried and lightly toasted X800 XT PT AGP flavor? Its not fried much, just one little trace cooked on it, might work if you fix it, might not. I had an electrical guy where I work measure and test all the components in that area and none are defective, the card does turn on, but the screen just flashes garbage. Could be fixable, any takers?

Oh yeah, I stuck that dead card in with my good X850 XT so I have dual ATI's on PCI Express (The dead one not really hooked up) for my ghetto ATI SLI baby! I'll have to get some pics, it's quite hilarious, see if I can fool some morons at the next lan party!

I went to newegg and stock levels aren't displayed... although they may offer it... will you get it in a reasonable amount of time?

The one thing I am surprised about is nvidia's stock of cards. I have been able to walk into various local pc stores and find stock of pcie gt's and ultras... let alone mention the various online places that do have them in stock albeit a tad over msrp (unlike the gouging ati's been getting lately on actual stock)...

Back