ATI...arrogance or just ineptitude?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saabjock

Gawd
I'm really starting to hate ATI's arrogance where drivers are concerned. Can't these fu**ing guys ever just put out a driver that installs... with no other bulls**t issues? I just spent two hours loading and reloading different drivers to find a working one ...to no avail on a brand "spanking" new Sapphire HD 4850 X2 /2GB. This, for a friend who insisted on having it...despite my warning. ATI counts Sapphire as a business ally in the X2 venture and vice versa...so the chat about it not being supported by ATI is bunk. The darn computer was running solid since I built it a few months ago...now after removing the GTX card, drivers and registry entries....and loading ATI's latest catalyst 9.2 and trying everything back to 8.11 with the new card...I'm getting error code 43 with the second GPU being disabled and an incompatibility message in the taskbar. Damn it ATI....build a decent driver for once.

Get the drivers from Sapphire. Aside from the 9.2s none of the previous drivers support the 4850x2.

You said you warned your friend about the 4850X2, so what exactly are you so surprised about?
Nearly everyone who purposely avoids the 4850X2 cites the exact fears you're describing as being the main reason they didn't buy the card.

As far as I'm concerned, the 4850X2 is entirely Sapphire's responsibility.
And I don't know if that's a company you want responsible for your hardware.

Very strange that the majority report excellent performance w/o issues with the 4850x2 and yet there are a few apples that have a tough time. I guess that's just the way it is with computadoras.

Ati did not make hd4850x2. Saphire designed it entirely themselves so the fault is with them.

I finally got it to run both GPUs using the driver's cd that came with the card, NOT the ones from Sapphire's or ATI's website. Had I done that initially, I could have saved myself a few hours and lots of irritation. As a rule, I always download and use the newest drivers...never the bundled ones. This was a hard lesson. What's really strange is that both on the website were Catalyst 9.2.

Driver Packaging Version 8.542-080930a-070249E-ATI
Catalyst® Version 09.2
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 7.01.01.830
2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet003/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0003
Direct3D Version 7.14.10.0618
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.8087
Catalyst® Control Center Version 2008.0930.2229.38458

Another one with problems after changing the GPU to an ATI GPU from an nVidia GPU without a clean install?

I'm really starting to hate ATI's arrogance where drivers are concerned. Can't these fu**ing guys ever just put out a driver that installs... with no other bulls**t issues? I just spent two hours loading and reloading different drivers to find a working one ...to no avail on a brand "spanking" new Sapphire HD 4850 X2 /2GB. This, for a friend who insisted on having it...despite my warning. ATI counts Sapphire as a business ally in the X2 venture and vice versa...so the chat about it not being supported by ATI is bunk. The darn computer was running solid since I built it a few months ago...now after removing the GTX card, drivers and registry entries....and loading ATI's latest catalyst 9.2 and trying everything back to 8.11 with the new card...I'm getting error code 43 with the second GPU being disabled and an incompatibility message in the taskbar. Damn it ATI....build a decent driver for once.

Were you installing drivers on an overclocked system or a system at stock speeds
If so is your system rock solid stable at those overclock speeds (p95 12hrs+ IBT 20runs+)
What OS are you currently using.
How and what did you use to remove all Nvidia drivers.

9.2 drivers work fine with this card for most. If you are going to get an enthusiast card you need enthusiast common sense. Thanks.

I was under the impression that a code 43 is more of a motherboard not compatible with video card error?

Are you on the most current bios, or one that other have confirmed to work with the card? Not always the newest bios work. Also, what board is it?

Another one with problems after changing the GPU to an ATI GPU from an nVidia GPU without a clean install?

Did you miss the part where he said removed the Nvidia drivers and deleted the registry entries?

Im not surprised. I heard about tons of problems with 4850s in crossfire, mostly with Sapphire cards (bios problems).

Did you miss the part where he said removed the Nvidia drivers and deleted the registry entries?

Are you sure that he did it right? I guess not because he is still having problems. :rolleyes: It is better to do a clean install to clean up nVidia's crap before blaming ATI.

i replaced a 2400pro in my rig with a x600 (both ati cards).

i uninstalled the drivers and installed 9.2 drivers. the video on my happuaage card was mesed up (ota hd). the recorded video played back fine so i didn't know what the problem was. i figured out the interlace option had to be set to weave instead of bob.

which caused another issue, after a few minutes of watching the computer crashed. eventually i saw a bluescreen that had ati in the wording of the dll. the system was overclocked yes, but i never had issues before when using the happuage card. (ran 50 passes of IBT stable)

since the x600 is fanless i put a fan towards it to help cool it off. it kept crashing.

i used driver cleaner pro (what a pain to find the original free version instead of the $10 version they make you pay for now! :p).

once i used that several times to be sure ;), i installed 9.2 again. watched about an hour of nascar in hd (since nothing else hd was on i felt like putting up with).

at last, no issues at all :). yeah, drivers suck.

9.2 drivers work fine with this card for most. If you are going to get an enthusiast card you need enthusiast common sense. Thanks.

Do you ever read or do you just "spout off at the mouth"? I'm done talking to you. Go play in traffic somewhere.

@alg7_munif...you obviously did not read the full post either. All drivers removed.

To the other READERS here... Yes, the Nvidia drivers were completely removed by first dropping desktop resolution then selecting the standard VGA driver for the GTX in Dev/Man, then using add remove programs to remove Nvidia's drivers and PhysX. A wildcard search was done for any Nv remnants followed by rebooting in S/M and manually removing anything leftover with Driver Sweeper. A second reboot in S/M and manually removing registry entries to anything Nvidia with a regedit search prior to shutdown and new install of HD4850 X2 and 9.2 driver from Sapphire's website (file name 509). The system is an I7-920 based on an MSI X58 Platinum (bios 1.1) with Vista64 Home Premium w/SP1. It's not overclocked. All motherboard chipset drivers, as well as bios are up to date. As I said before, the system is completely stable...even with the 4850 X2. It's just that with any version of the 9.2 driver, it disables one of the GPUs on reboot after installation of that driver, despite the driver loading correctly with NO errors. All antivirus is shutdown prior to loading drivers. The system only fully utilizes the driver from the cd. I tried downloading the latest 9.2 again on another computer with the same result. So for now, he's using the Sapphire 8.11 cd based driver with NO ISSUES...both GPUs enabled. It's a very fast card. He's a simracer like myself and his framerate in GTR evo and rFactor have "gone through the roof". I'm happy for him. I just wish ATI would test a wider range of configurations prior to releasing drivers.They need to open it up to the public for a wider range of systems and more feedback for the sake of compatibility.

Do you ever read or do you just "spout off at the mouth"? I'm done talking to you. Go play in traffic somewhere.

@alg7_munif...you obviously did not read the full post either. All drivers removed.

To the other READERS here... Yes, the Nvidia drivers were completely removed by first dropping desktop resolution then selecting the standard VGA driver for the GTX in Dev/Man, then using add remove programs to remove Nvidia's drivers and PhysX. A wildcard search was done for any Nv remnants followed by rebooting in S/M and manually removing anything leftover with Driver Sweeper. A second reboot in S/M and manually removing registry entries to anything Nvidia with a regedit search prior to shutdown and new install of HD4850 X2 and 9.2 driver from Sapphire's website (file name 509). The system is an I7-920 based on an MSI X58 Platinum (bios 1.1) with Vista64 Home Premium w/SP1. It's not overclocked. All motherboard chipset drivers, as well as bios are up to date. As I said before, the system is completely stable...even with the 4850 X2. It's just that with any version of the 9.2 driver, it disables one of the GPUs on reboot after installation of that driver, despite the driver loading correctly with NO errors. All antivirus is shutdown prior to loading drivers. The system only fully utilizes the driver from the cd. I tried downloading the latest 9.2 again on another computer with the same result. So for now, he's using the Sapphire 8.11 cd based driver with NO ISSUES...both GPUs enabled. It's a very fast card. He's a simracer like myself and his framerate in GTR evo and rFactor have "gone through the roof". I'm happy for him. I just wish ATI would test a wider range of configurations prior to releasing drivers.They need to open it up to the public for a wider range of systems and more feedback for the sake of compatibility.

9.2's work fine if you can follow a simple set of instructions.

Use ATI manager to do a full uninstall, Run driver sweeper, reboot, run driver sweeper again, install 9.2's, reboot. Congratz you now have 9.2's on your 4850x2.

Like everyone above mentioned, in this case it isn't ATI's fault anyway, not that ATI has been great with the 4870x2 or CF'ed 4850/70's.

9.2's work fine if you can follow a simple set of instructions.

Use ATI manager to do a full uninstall, Run driver sweeper, reboot, run driver sweeper again, install 9.2's, reboot. Congratz you now have 9.2's on your 4850x2.
Yeah, it's not ATI's responsibility to support a non-standard Sapphire cards, but that quote above is hilarious. Who would ship such a fragile installer that it needs a rube goldberg installation guide? :D

Perhaps tinkering with the wrong registry entries would cause a problem too...

@crawlgsx.... That was done before anything else...in the exact order listed after my first Sapphire 9.2 driver install and prior to the official ATI 9.2 install..with NO success. Thanks for playing though.

No issue with registry editing. I'm fully aware of what has to be removed there....so no. If that were the case, the 8.11s would not install and work correctly either....which they do. I suppose I could try to populate the lower PCI-e slot and retry 9.2 drivers. This motherboard is the crossfire version and so far I've only tried the top slot.

Do you ever read or do you just .

Sorry to hear about your problem. My 4850 X2 should arrive tomorrow. I'm going to try the 9.2 cats first. If that fails, I will resort to the included cd for working drivers. Thanks for sharing with us.

it is posted about 1000 times in different threads here which drivers do and do not work with this card. aside from that some people just seem to have "bad luck" with new hardware/software.

@lodingi... It only appears to happen with certain configurations so you'll probably be okay. The card is really well built and very, very fast. My buddy has an Antec 300 case so I had to get out the Dremel and make a slight clearance. It's not too big of a deal to do. Basically you lay the card over it's slot in the motherboard and mark the height with a magic marker. I only had to trim about .25"...(just about the amount of the rolled edge of the harddrive caddy/holder), times the height of the card plus a bit for clearance. It installs beautifully and the card runs really cool at about 38 degrees C during idle...about 54 degrees C at full bore.

I'm really starting to hate ATI's arrogance where drivers are concerned. Can't these fu**ing guys ever just put out a driver that installs... with no other bulls**t issues?

This, for a friend who insisted on having it...despite my warning.

Damn it ATI....build a decent driver for once.

Sounds like you were dead-set against ATI even before your friend got the card, like you probably had your rant post half typed up in your head before you even tried to diagnose the problem. Did you even really give the card a chance?

@crawlgsx.... That was done before anything else...in the exact order listed after my first Sapphire 9.2 driver install and prior to the official ATI 9.2 install..with NO success. Thanks for playing though.

For lack of arguing, I'm just going to suggest oh I don't know, trying it again?

I have not owned or tried a 4850x2, so it was the only advice I have to give. I have however used 4850's in CF, 4870's in CF, and my personal 4870x2 from ~8.9-9.2 without a single problem on all 3 card variations.

For lack of arguing, I'm just going to suggest oh I don't know, trying it again?

I have not owned or tried a 4850x2, so it was the only advice I have to give. I have however used 4850's in CF, 4870's in CF, and my personal 4870x2 from ~8.9-9.2 without a single problem on all 3 card variations.

Yes, nobody ever has driver problems, red or green. :rolleyes:
I'm glad that your not a beta tester.

Another imflammatory anti-nV post?

Are you sure that he did it right? I guess not because he is still having problems. :rolleyes: It is better to do a clean install to clean up nVidia's crap before blaming ATI.

nVidia's crap? I guess you missed the part about the system being rock solid stable for the past few months with the GTX?

Did you even read the OP or just automatically try and bash nV?

Perhaps you should not post because your not trying to help at all with your anti-nV rhetoric?

Did you see me bashing Nvidia? Did I say no one ever has driver problems? Nope. :rolleyes:

Thats not at all what I was implying, but I have used 4870s in crossfire and had driver problems. I was mostly covering myself with that comment because I don't wanna sound like a fanboy. Trust me GTX260 drivers were no picnic for the longest time either. Shit even now. Sorry about the second comment, but I hate hearing people say just because they aren't having driver issues (which I don't belive) that nobody else is.

Thats not at all what I was implying, but I have used 4870s in crossfire and had driver problems. I was mostly covering myself with that comment because I don't wanna sound like a fanboy. Trust me GTX260 drivers were no picnic for the longest time either. Shit even now. Sorry about the second comment, but I hate hearing people say just because they aren't having driver issues (which I don't belive) that nobody else is.

Why would I lie about not having driver issues? lol. I have never had video driver issues, NV or ATI, ever. Does that mean no one else does? Of course not, but it is my personal opinion that most of the driver "issues" are I.D. 10 T errors ;).

Have you tried calling geek squad? It seems you are having a difficult time with a simple driver install. My buddy's grandma who has never owned a pc installed 4850x2 9.2 drivers without issue. Now she can finally play Race Driver Grid without lag. :)

There are people with driver problems using cards from both companies but there are a lot more people without any problem with both ATI and nVidia drivers. There is also no solid prove that shows a driver from a company is problematic or has more problem than the other company. Most people won't have any problem with the driver, some people are just unlucky or perhaps incapable of doing any troubleshooting without blaming others for their incapability.

Instead of posting a rant, it would be much better to ask for help from fellow [H].

I think driver issues for the most part with nvidia / ati drivers really all boils down to

A) User error
B) Hardware incompatibility anomalies
C) User arrogance / ineptitude

Most likely A and C.

Have you tried calling geek squad? It seems you are having a difficult time with a simple driver install. My buddy's grandma who has never owned a pc installed 4850x2 9.2 drivers without issue. Now she can finally play Race Driver Grid without lag. :)

After this post buddy, I think all of your credibility has been shot.

Specially calling out [H] on not doing a 4850x2 review.

Im sorry man but your advice is all laughs and jokes.

Sorry but the title of the thread deserves that kind of response. If you can't install display drivers then you shouldn't be building or upgrading pcs...call geek squad. Anyways, that story was true...there are some true grandma gamers out there.

There are people with driver problems using cards from both companies but there are a lot more people without any problem with both ATI and nVidia drivers. There is also no solid prove that shows a driver from a company is problematic or has more problem than the other company. Most people won't have any problem with the driver, some people are just unlucky or perhaps incapable of doing any troubleshooting without blaming others for their incapability.

Instead of posting a rant, it would be much better to ask for help from fellow [H].

True

@ Beasly Stop trolling.
Check the release notes on any driver releace, There are allways problems or else there would be no need for driver updates and hotfixes.

Code 43 can also be a botched driver uninstall/installation not necessarily hardware incompatibility, have gotten it before in the past couple times installing older Catalyst versions over newer ones. You should do a Poll for this thread ATI arrogance or user ineptitude. I have to vote for the latter sorry putting that nicely.

I'd really appreciate it if the few fu*king morons who are hell-bent on attacking my intelligence would just quit posting. The 9.2 driver works with your configuration..."I'm happy for you". You, however seem to have a problem reading and comprehending, so I'll go slow...do try to keep up. As I've already explained...numerous fu*king times.....the 8.11 which came on the cd loads and works fine...both GPUs enabled ("see...I know how to load a driver after all":rolleyes:). The official 9.2 also load with no errors per the Catalyst installation log, however on restart they disables one of the GPUs with the video adapter incompatibility message. I did at least 7-8 clean removals and re-installation prior to settling on the Sapphire 8.11. There is absolutely no issue with correctly loading drivers. It comes down to the later driver incompatibility with his configuration. If it were a computer issue or a user's driver loading error, the earlier one (which I can remove and reinstall all day without issue, and for which I'm using the exact same routine to install as the 9.2s)...would not work either. Is that logic enough for the doubters? I don't need Geek squad...I do this on a regular basis. I've built, programmed and networked at least twenty high-end computer last year alone for various friends...all stable and running perfectly without issues. The routine of removing or Installing a simple driver has never been an issue for me. It's been done countless times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back