ATi and technology

Tygerwoody

Gawd
ok... a few things...

i thought ATi did support HDR? now i am hearing they dont... Which is true and what does it do. Reason i am asking is that Jakup(or whatever his name is on nvnews forum) the guy with the 6800u that is posting all the screens of Farcry absolutely look amazing. Is ATi able to recreate what he did?

Stencil Shadowing... I know it is going to be used in Doom3.... What does it do? What will it mean in the Nvidia vs. ATi sort of things.

Why isn't there anyone saying anything about 3dc? It seems like a very good concept. Good for image quality and performance. Is it not that good? or did people just forget? Those Serious Sam 2 screenshots looked amazing.

Reason im asking is I preordered the x800 xt pe and after seeing those images from that Jak guy i am absolutely amazed with the image quality. If any of you have not seen them you definitely should. To be honest im not interested in Halflife 2 at all. Doesnt interest me. Doom 3 does. Im just debating on whether i should cancel my preorder and preorder that BFG 6800U OC. The only problem is it is going to cost $100 more, but hey if its worth it, then its worth it. I would throw the old "3.0 PS" discussion, but im honestly tired of hearing about it and dont care. Noone knows what it will do and thats that. So please noone bring that up.

im pretty sure ati supports HDR. seen the hl2 vids? (like the CS:source one, or the bink HDR one) they had HDR enabled and im pretty sure all those hl2 vids we are seeing are ran on ati cards ;)

i could be wrong tho ;x

Well no one really knows, but if Doom3 is your main hope this year I would take a 6800U over the X800XTPE.

Tygerwoody said:
i thought ATi did support HDR? now i am hearing they dont... Which is true and what does it do. Reason i am asking is that Jakup(or whatever his name is on nvnews forum) the guy with the 6800u that is posting all the screens of Farcry absolutely look amazing. Is ATi able to recreate what he did?

Yes, the Radeon 9700Pro and up support HDR. Check out the real time high dynamic range demo runs fast and pretty on the 9700Pro and up: http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/index.html

Stencil Shadowing... I know it is going to be used in Doom3.... What does it do? What will it mean in the Nvidia vs. ATi sort of things.

Both cards support this. It is important because DoomIII uses some elaborate shadows in the game, whichever card can render stencil shadows the best will be faster at handling the intense shadows.

Why isn't there anyone saying anything about 3dc? It seems like a very good concept. Good for image quality and performance. Is it not that good? or did people just forget? Those Serious Sam 2 screenshots looked amazing.

with 3Dc it is all about developer support, HL2 and SS2 will use it

it is also rumored that this will become the standard normal compression scheme in DX Next

About D3 performance, obviously it will be impossible to know which card provides the best gameplay until the game itself is out on the shelves.

thanx brent... i really appreciate it.... its anoying that everyone is saying that only the nv40 is supporting all this stuff... like HDR... and come to find out they both do...... does only ATi support 3dc? or is it both

Tygerwoody said:
thanx brent... i really appreciate it.... its anoying that everyone is saying that only the nv40 is supporting all this stuff... like HDR... and come to find out they both do...... does only ATi support 3dc? or is it both

only the X800 series

Back