ATi AGP + With nForce3 + Vista = Code 43 Error

I upgraded an ATI X800 AGP on a Gigabyte Nforce 3 mobo to vista and it works better then it did in XP.

Oh well.

This Error only affects Dual core CPU's!!!

If I throw my 146 opteron back in my rig it will work fine.

Last night I did a straight board swap from my NF3 Ultra to ATI 3200 xfire.

Didn't have to sysprep or anything else, just swapped mb, video card and powered up. one reboot later and it was like I had no down time.

Problem does not only apply to duo core CPUs!!!!

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, NF3 Ultra, AMD64 3200+, HIS Radeon 9800 Pro.

Upgraded to Vista from XP, everthing worked, including Aero. No problems reported in device manager. Only problem was that the system slowed to a crawl. Took 10 -20 seconds for most apps to open, sometimes longer...no exageration. Disabled Aero, sped things up noticeably, but still took a good 10 seconds for most apps to open.

Decided to dump the drive and do the Vista upgrade install on top of itself (double install). Everything is working extremely fast now, but no Aero available. No openGL games either. Device manager reported problems with mobo chipset driver, problem recognizing CPU, and problem with networking and video drivers.

Had to install some software multiple times as Vista would crap the install 2 or 3 times before some software would install fully.

Finally got the CPU and chipset recognized...not sure exactly what I did, but it looks good in device manager,

Video driver is still no go!!!!! Catalyst keeps giving me failure notices, and this is with a single core processor.

Gonna dump drive again, load XP, then upgrade to Vista...see if everything works this time, without the myriad (500 Gigs) of programs I previously had on my drives.

I thought maybe there would be a work-around using the cpu core affinity so that I could assign a single core to a specific task thereby getting the video to work while keeping both cores functional.

I have an offer for a straight up trade for a Geforce 6800 Ultra for my x800xtpe.

Will this resolve the error 43 problem?

that is pretty strange then, cause when I'm running my Single Core opteron I don't have that issue at all.

Well I picked up a 7800 AGP video card and everything was detected and worked properly with a clean install.

I reinstalled my x800xtpe and the error core 43 returned.

This is weird.

I'm gonna see if I can fix this without disabling one the cores on the CPU.

Well I picked up a 7800 AGP video card and everything was detected and worked properly with a clean install.

I reinstalled my x800xtpe and the error core 43 returned.

This is weird.

I'm gonna see if I can fix this without disabling one the cores on the CPU.

Please post your findings / results after you do.

...has this been fixed? I had the same problem. Dual-core processor, Radeon X850 XT Platinum, and an nForce3 motheroard. Error code 43.

The system is a HTPC, and I would really like to install Vista on it. I hesitate because of this problem. I can find a million threads online about people griping about it, but nothing on a fix (if it ever came available).

"upgrading to vista"
2007 oxymoron of the year.

Wow. That sucks... I can't believe nVidia. They really know how to stick it to the consumer.

I'd imagine picking the right mobo would be cheaper than getting a new video card (that would probably have to be nVidia anyways). What would be a good board to get for an dual-core Athlon 64 3800 (that runs great at 4800+ speeds)? I'd like to keep the PC3200 memory and AGP card, though I doubt that's possible...

I went with the Abit A8V... got a good deal but it did o/c as good as the DFI board I had.

Since then I went to AM2/PCI express ATI chipset/ ATI video card. Screw Nvidia.

The Via chipset... hmm.

Is the Abit the best for the K8T800 PRO chipset? I've always been a big fan of MSI, so I may compare it with the MSI K8T Neo2-FIR

I went with the Abit A8V... got a good deal but it did o/c as good as the DFI board I had.

Since then I went to AM2/PCI express ATI chipset/ ATI video card. Screw Nvidia.

The Abit board was one of the better overclocking VIA based boards but I wan't being picky... I would have bought the MSI board if I found one sooner. I took about 4weeks of searching forums to find one for sale.

The Via chipset... hmm.

Is the Abit the best for the K8T800 PRO chipset? I've always been a big fan of MSI, so I may compare it with the MSI K8T Neo2-FIR

I just swapped out my Nforce 3 AGP board and updated to Nforce 4 PCI E. So this is no longer an issue for me. Nvidia will never fix it, they want you to upgrade!

Why would I do that, so I couldn't reuse my Opteron 170 and 2GB of DDR500 Memory?

If I was gonna do that I might aswell scrap all my parts and just build a Core2 rig.

My now PCI E Nforce 4 system with a HD3870 runs great in Vista!

Update:

I replaced the motherboard with a refurbed K8T800 Pro based board. Vista is running 100% perfect now. Dirty nvidia...

:mad:
Windows Vista: Code 43 Error in Device Manager in Systems with ATI AGP Cards and Nforce3

Question
Windows Vista: Code 43 Error in Device Manager in Systems with ATI AGP Cards and Nforce3 Chipset Motherboards

Answer
Symptoms:
Attempting to install the graphics driver on a system containing an NVidia NF3 chipset and an ATI AGP graphics adapter may result in the driver failing to install and the 3D engine not activating.

In Windows Vista 32bit or 64bit versions, the Device Manager will show a (!) mark and the AGP card will operate in PCI mode only. When the properties of the device are shown, the error code will show as code 43.

Solution:

NVIDIA has determined that this issue is specific to nForce3 based systems utilizing AMD Athlon X2 dual core CPU's and running Microsoft Vista. The NVIDIA nForce3 core logic predates multi-core CPU's and was not designed to support them. As a result this problem will not be resolved via drivers or system bios updates. At this time the only known solutions to this issue under Microsoft Vista is to use a single core processor, or to upgrade to a newer motherboard platform.

The link is here so it looks like I'm out of luck unless I upgrade.

This is an excellent alternative to the garbage-ass nvidia bullshit designed to make you upgrade. And if you have a higher end AGP card, you can still run it.

This would be the most pain-free upgrade if you want Vista. Others would argue that if you're going to replace your mobo, you might as well upgrade the entire computer. However, I was able to find a K8T800 based mobo for $39.99 shipped. It was an ASUS A8V SKT Socket 939 board. Not sure if you can still find one around..

Info on the Via K8T800 chipset
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/k8-series/k8t800pro/

Back