ATi AGP + With nForce3 + Vista = Code 43 Error

HardOCP News

[H] News
[H] reader Ed Cabarles sent me a link to the AMD’s Knowledge Base entry 737-24498 that explains why nForce3 owners that are using an ATi AGP video card are left without 3D acceleration after upgrading to Vista.

Attempting to install the graphics driver on a system containing an NVidia NF3 chipset and an ATI AGP graphics adapter may result in the driver failing to install and the 3D engine not activating. In Windows Vista 32bit or 64bit versions, the Device Manager will show a (!) mark and the AGP card will operate in PCI mode only. When the properties of the device are shown, the error code will show as code 43.

(link updated)

ATI's (AMD's) solution...

"Solution - Please contact NVidia Corp."

I guess I'm not terribly surprised by this though... mixing flavors (competing brands) does not always work out very well.

Mixed manufacturer? Worked like a champ for me with X800 XT and Gigabyte 939-Ultra board until Vista appeared. :rolleyes:

I've seen this behavior with Vista starting with Public Beta 1 through RC2, sent dozens of reports back to MS, and with the RTM code they *still* don't have it working? What a steaming crock of manure.

seems to work well enough in XP...is Nvidia even trying to get things right under Vista? my K8N Neo2 w/ATI X800XL has provided great game play. another reason im waiting on any OS move.

uhm...how long until SP1 for Vista? :rolleyes:

*dons flame suit*

Perhaps AGP users shouldn't be upgrading to vista....:eek:

Mixed manufacturer? Worked like a champ for me with X800 XT and Gigabyte 939-Ultra board until Vista appeared. :rolleyes:

I've seen this behavior with Vista starting with Public Beta 1 through RC2, sent dozens of reports back to MS, and with the RTM code they *still* don't have it working? What a steaming crock of manure.

Man that's exactly what I got .... so much for thinking about that upgrade.

Agreed. It acutally makes sense from an architectural standpoint (with regard to DirectX 10 only being on Vista). If M$ finds neat little ways to hamper those with DX9 hardware on legacy platforms from going to Vista...then hardware companies sell more hardware to those in these situations (that want Vista). Hardware sells newer hardware, which is supported by the newer OS. More cash for the cow...and the elephant in the room is Microsoft's continued support by hardware vendor technologies for more bigger, better, bloated code.

that being said, i kinda like vista, thus far...LOL

*dons flame suit*

Perhaps AGP users shouldn't be upgrading to vista....:eek:

Ya, I don’t look at this as too big of a deal. NF3, ATI on AGP and an upgrade to vista seems like a somewhat unlikely combination. I am sure there are folks out there, but they represent a pretty small group. I imagine that if they get around to it, the issue will be fixed in a driver update from either ATI or Nvidia. They both probably treat it as “fix it if it is easy and you stumble across the solution”.
Furthermore, there is not much of a reason for these folks to upgrade to vista. After all, the most prominent vista feature is DX10, and there are no ATI AGP (or PCIE) cards that support DX10 at the moment
And look on the bright side: You can now explain to your wife why you need a new graphics card, motherboard, RAM, and processor.

LOL, gates knows what the score is..... Even though he is the richest guy alive, i bet his wife still busts his balls about computer upgrades.

I can't be too sure on this, but I'm pretty sure it is also related to dual core processors. I got this exact same problem and I started looking for driver updates to the Nforce 3 chipset. Of course, there are none to be found because Nforce 3 is one of those end of life products. Then I saw a lot of people who found a "solution" which was to disable a core (force the OS to boot with only 1 core) and the Code 43 problem went away. But the problem still remains: a dual core processor running just one core.

I am using an Opteron 165 on an Epox EP-9NDA3I.

this is why u never by an nvidia motherboard

uhm...no.

maybe a reason to not try and install Vista on a nF3 chipset, or a AGP based system until the issue is fixed, but not a "reason" to not ever use nVidia chipset.

Me thinks nVidia has dropped the ball with Vista, and all conspiracy theories aside...it is in MS best interest to make its latest product fully functional with as many platforms as it can. the nF3 may be a bit long in the tooth now, but i dont recall XP having this kind of issue with those EOL products. they were supported natively, and the nF3 and a X800/850 is capable of handling AERO (for all that is worth).

This pertains to DUAL CORE processors "X2" only.

I'm running an N3 mobo with a 1950pro agp card and i'm having no problems. (except standard vista gaming slowdowns of about 10%)

I would get this error on a Dual SATA-II and X800XL AGP. I would get it to go away by updating the ACPI device driver in the Device Manager to whatever the alternative driver was when letting Vista search for a driver. This would remove the error message and let the driver load and have 3D accelaration but it caused a few screen glitches. Though I'm not sure if it was crappy beta drivers or the alternate ACPI driver that cuased the glitches.

^------------ That was running an Opteron 170

I'm sorry for the second reply but I couldn't figure out how to edit my first.

This pertains to DUAL CORE processors "X2" only.

I'm running an N3 mobo with a 1950pro agp card and i'm having no problems. (except standard vista gaming slowdowns of about 10%)

I wonder if the amd dual core patch has something to do with it.

This is actually kinda old news, i ran into this about a month ago.

There is a fix on the neowin forums

search for Ati Code 43

[Retaliation];1030605863 said:
yet one more reason to stay away from Vista for awhile

Just FYI, your sig is longer than the 10 lines allowed by the hardforum rules.

Wow this looks just like a thread I started here almost two weeks a go.....

Subject
amd dual core cpu running on nforce3 with ati agp card on windows vista rtm t...

-------------------------------------------------------------
Customer (Garth) 01/28/2007 09:40 AM
amd dual core cpu running on nforce3 with ati agp card on windows vista rtm throws error code 43.

this error is not thrown when the system is run on a single core.
Response (MZ) 01/28/2007 01:52 PM
Hello Garth,

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

As I understand you have an NVIDIA nforce 3 Graphics Card and you are getting an Error code No. 43.

Garth, In order to assist you better, I would need additional information to troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing. Could you please let me know the following details.

1. Model number of the NVIDIA graphics card you are having.
2. The driver version installed on your computer currently.
3. The operating system installed on your computer.

Looking forward for your response.

Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Customer (Garth) 01/28/2007 02:46 PM
Symptoms
Attempting to install the graphics driver on a system containing an NVidia NF3 chipset and an ATI AGP graphics adapter may result in the driver failing to install and the 3D engine not activating.

System Configuration
Motherboard: Asrock MB (NVidia NF3 chipset, AM2 CPU socket)
Display Card: ATI AGP graphics card (e.g. 9550, 9600, 9800, etc...)
CPU: AM2 Dual Core CPU

Under Windows Vista 32/64, the Device Manager will show a "!", and an AGP video card will run in PCI mode only.

The 3D Engine will not be activated.

This problem will happen when the configuration is ATI AGP card + AMD Dual Core CPU.

Solution
Please contact NVidia Corp. (www.nvidia.com) for more information on this issue.
Customer (Garth) 01/28/2007 02:46 PM
Symptoms
Attempting to install the graphics driver on a system containing an NVidia NF3 chipset and an ATI AGP graphics adapter may result in the driver failing to install and the 3D engine not activating.

System Configuration

Under Windows Vista 32/64, the Device Manager will show a "!", and an AGP video card will run in PCI mode only.

This problem will happen when the configuration is ATI AGP card + AMD Dual Core CPU.

Solution
Please contact NVidia Corp. (www.nvidia.com) for more information on this issue.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (MZ) 01/28/2007 04:18 PM
Hello Garth,

Welcome Back to NVIDIA Customer Care.

Garth, I understand the difficulties that you are currently facing. However, I would like to inform you that nforce3 is end of life product so we don't have any supported drivers for Windows Vista Operating System.

Regards,

NVIDIA Customer Care.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Garth,

Garth, I understand the difficulties that you are currently facing. However, I would like to inform you that nforce3 is end of life product so we don't have any supported drivers for Windows Vista Operating System.

Regards,

NVIDIA Customer Care.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Customer (Garth) 01/28/2007 05:53 PM
So even though the ULi (nvidia) M1695 had the IDENTICAL memory address allocation problem with Vista RTM and was fixed, there is going to be no fix for the nForce 3 ULTRA?

If this is the case, NVIDIA needs to make a public statement as to why nForce 3 motherboards with a dual core CPU and GeForce Graphics card or a single core and non NVIDIA Graphics card supports Vista Aero Interface, but a dual core with a non NVIDIA Graphics card only supports Vista Basic Interface.

Actually NVIDIA won't have to because by tomorrow this will be common knowledge in the hardware enthusiast community and the damage to NVIDIA's reputation already done.

Last minute "we're not going to support that" stunts such as this are not acceptable. If NVIDIA even suspected that there was going to be a problem, then it should have been made public, not kept secret until two days before the consumer launch of Windows Vista.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Response (MP) 01/30/2007 09:25 AM
Hello Garth,

Your case is being escalated to our Level 2 Tech Support group. The Level 2 agents will review the case notes and may attempt to recreate your issue or find a workaround solution if possible. As this process may take some time we ask that you be patient and a Level 2 tech will contact you as soon they can to help resolve your issue.

Best Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care

Subject
amd dual core cpu running on nforce3 with ati agp card on windows vista rtm t...

Customer (Garth ) 01/28/2007 09:40 AM
amd dual core cpu running on nforce3 with ati agp card on windows vista rtm throws error code 43.

this error is not thrown when the system is run on a single core.
Response (MZ) 01/28/2007 01:52 PM
Hello Garth,

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

As I understand you have an NVIDIA nforce 3 Graphics Card and you are getting an Error code No. 43.

Garth, In order to assist you better, I would need additional information to troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing. Could you please let me know the following details.

1. Model number of the NVIDIA graphics card you are having.
2. The driver version installed on your computer currently.
3. The operating system installed on your computer.

Looking forward for your response.

Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care.

Customer (Garth ) 01/28/2007 02:46 PM
Symptoms

System Configuration

Solution
Customer (Garth ) 01/28/2007 02:46 PM
Symptoms

System Configuration

Solution
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Garth,

Regards,

NVIDIA Customer Care.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Garth,

Regards,

NVIDIA Customer Care.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Customer (Garth ) 01/28/2007 05:53 PM
So even though the ULi (nvidia) M1695 had the IDENTICAL memory address allocation problem with Vista RTM and was fixed, there is going to be no fix for the nForce 3 ULTRA?

If this is the case, NVIDIA needs to make a public statement as to why nForce 3 motherboards with a dual core CPU and GeForce Graphics card or a single core and non NVIDIA Graphics card supports Vista Aero Interface, but a dual core with a non NVIDIA Graphics card only supports Vista Basic Interface.

Actually NVIDIA won't have to because by tomorrow this will be common knowledge in the hardware enthusiast community and the damage to NVIDIA's reputation already done.

Last minute "we're not going to support that" stunts such as this are not acceptable. If NVIDIA even suspected that there was going to be a problem, then it should have been made public, not kept secret until two days before the consumer launch of Windows Vista.

Response (MP) 01/30/2007 09:25 AM
Hello Garth,

Your case is being escalated to our Level 2 Tech Support group. The Level 2 agents will review the case notes and may attempt to recreate your issue or find a workaround solution if possible. As this process may take some time we ask that you be patient and a Level 2 tech will contact you as soon they can to help resolve your issue.

Best Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care

seems to work well enough in XP...is Nvidia even trying to get things right under Vista? my K8N Neo2 w/ATI X800XL has provided great game play. another reason im waiting on any OS move.

uhm...how long until SP1 for Vista? :rolleyes:

considering SLI doesnt work and your lucky if your 8800 works properly, being the first DX10 card, nvidia doesnt care.

......... After all, the most prominent vista feature is DX10, and there are no ATI AGP (or PCIE) cards that support DX10 at the moment

maybe if your a gamer, otherwise DX10 is the last thing in Vista to make you upgrade....

Right.. and that ati card works fine on an intel chipset.

The problem here is that the NVIDIA product doesn't work correctly under VISTA because, we all know, it's microsofts fault :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . It couldn't possibly be that NVIDIA is dragging their feet with PROPER driver functionality in vista?

Especially when/if it comes to making sure a competitors product is ranked higher or lower in priority to get right.

Isn't it convenient that a fix to this would be "get an nvidia video card" ?

I think I am going to open a Better Business Bureau Complaint against NVidia. Anyone care to join me?

Right.. and that ati card works fine on an intel chipset.

The problem here is that the NVIDIA product doesn't work correctly under VISTA because, we all know, it's microsofts fault :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . It couldn't possibly be that NVIDIA is dragging their feet with PROPER driver functionality in vista?

Especially when/if it comes to making sure a competitors product is ranked higher or lower in priority to get right.

Isn't it convenient that a fix to this would be "get an nvidia video card" ?

I never implied it was MS' fault, though I wouldn't put it outside the realm of possibility. The foot-dragging that Nvidia is doing, especially with that "End of life product" bilge you see in the thread, does border on the absurd. The OEMs should be pushing on them to get this right, but they won't, since it'll cut into new computer sales.

Way to go, Nvidia! Piss on the first-adopters and enthusiasts that buy your high-end goodies...

With Nvidia's relative inability to produce a working, stable set of drivers for native ide connections, I'm hardly surprised.

Don't even get me started on the subject of their onchip firewall drivers, either. Did those EVER work, period?

Sorry, but M$ is only slightly to blame in this case as a result.

Perhaps NVidia should have stuck with video cards.

I have heard conflicting reports of this only being a bug on dual core platforms / 939. Is this true? One of my computers has a Nforce 3 socket 754 with a sempron and a 9800 Pro. Both of my copies of Vista are being shipped and I am going to be pissed if Aero does not work. :mad:

I have heard conflicting reports of this only being a bug on dual core platforms / 939. Is this true? One of my computers has a Nforce 3 socket 754 with a sempron and a 9800 Pro. Both of my copies of Vista are being shipped and I am going to be pissed if Aero does not work. :mad:

Yes, as far as I know the nForce 3 issue is directly related to how memory addresses are allocated in a multi core system with a non nvidia graphics card.

Here's a little bump from a furious nVidia user too.

To all who boo hoo about nF3 users not upgrading to Vista:
Are you fucking serious? People run XP with hardware a gen or two old all the time, it's not like some big travesty. The idea that my dual core system with a pretty fast AGP card is unfit for Vista is such a huge cop out. Sure maybe I won't be able to completely max out the graphics settings in my newest games, but I can damn sure run Aero and enjoy the new OS

nVidia is blatently fucking over its customers and people are letting them get away with it.

ok, my sempron 3100 (single core of course) and 9800 Pro rig works fine on Vista. Looks like it is only a dual core Nforce 3 250 bug.

Back