ATI 9800pro dying?

Skirrow

[H]ard|Gawd
No this is a wierd one. A couple of days ago my old pc's hard drive died so i had to replace it. So now i've installed a new hard drive and a fresh install of xp 32bit with the latest catalyst drivers. However now i have some annoying artifacting from the 9800.

Notice the artifacts on the ATI flag and the yellowish bars on the windows. Its really annoying since this is an internet pc and most pages are white. It looks like the internet was soaked in piss. :p

The strange thing being that these artifacts were nonexistent before the hard drive crash. Could this simply be a driver issue? or could the card be dying?

Card is probably dying as well.. The old AGP 9800pro is soo old... Mine died about 3-4 years ago.

True. I just felt it a little strange that the artifacting only appeared after a hard drive crash. Never mind. It served me well and that pc is only used for the internet anyway so not a big problem.

Still i can pick up a Geforce 5200 64mb for less than £10 when it finally dies.:D

Maybe my vision isn't what is used to be, but i'm not seeing any major problems with that screenshot. If I press my nose against the monitor, I can see a tiny bit of dark pixelation on the ATI flag, but Im having a hard time seeing any yellow bars. I would say try a couple older catalyst drivers anyway.

Either way, the 9800 pro is quite an old dog. Money well spent even still methinks.

Look like you got a nice new paper weight. (mine is a burned up 8800GTX). Give yourself a present and get a new card =)

The yellowish tint is the monitor itself.

Did you install the chipset drivers after you re-installed Windows? Specifically the AGP miniport driver?

You might want to try reseating the video card and the RAM as well.

theres nothing wrong with the card try it out on a movie or even an old game that your card can run and tell us if its displaying the same symptoms but form what i can see its totally fine

i adjusted the contrast to emphasize the problem. Much easier to see now.

The cards definitely dying. When it finally does, i'll try the bake thing and see how that goes :D

Kinda surprised to see a 9800pro last this long. Both of mine died years ago.. One I killed through modding, the other died on its own. Those heatsinks were far too small.. :(

And AVG? There's many better alternatives out there..

Did you install the AGP miniport drivers?

I know I asked this before.. but I just wanted to make sure as there were numerious strange issues such as this that would pop up if the AGP miniport drivers are not installed.

Time to upgrade my friend.

9800 gtx is old now but the cheapest upgrade to a very budgeted pci express

under hundred bucks with a fatty rebate

got mine in the mail the other day from frys , they had this for 50 bucks after rebate.

So i got two now:)
yay

One of the best, the legendary 9700 pro being the only one superseded by this card. :)

that's not the card if adjusting the contrast makes it better or worse sounds more like your monitor is it and old crt? try in on a second monitor, or since you just reinstalled every thing might be a driver. its hard to know what could be causing it whit out knowing your drivers and stuff. if you run 3d stuff does it get worse?

wait just saw that you used the newest ones did you use the legacy ones or new ones?

Time to upgrade my friend.

9800 gtx is old now but the cheapest upgrade to a very budgeted pci express

under hundred bucks with a fatty rebate

got mine in the mail the other day from frys , they had this for 50 bucks after rebate.

So i got two now:)
yay

This thread is about the 9800pro, which was an ATI card released quite a few generations ago. (5 or 6 if I remember correctly) It's an AGP card...before PCI-express. Thought I'd clear up your confusion. :p

Also, I have to agree with the above. I've never seen color fading or bleeding that changes with monitor settings be a symptom of a GPU dying. Try a second monitor before you stick a fork in the card and call it dead.

Kinda surprised to see a 9800pro last this long. Both of mine died years ago.. One I killed through modding, the other died on its own. Those heatsinks were far too small.. :(

And AVG? There's many better alternatives out there..

My aiw 9800 died a few years back also, for some reason my card like to burn the power connects

Before you call it dead, maybe try an older driver package? Do you remember what CAT version you were using before?

Did you install the AGP miniport drivers?

I know I asked this before.. but I just wanted to make sure as there were numerious strange issues such as this that would pop up if the AGP miniport drivers are not installed.

I never installed the miniport drivers before as they are only available for w98 and not needed in XP as far as i know.

Before you call it dead, maybe try an older driver package? Do you remember what CAT version you were using before?

I've tried 3 different drivers. The latest, cat 8.1 and cat 9.1. Same issue with all of them.

monitor cable could be going bad.

Tried it on another monitor with a different cable. Still the same issue.

Not too much of a problem. That particular pc doesnt get used much anyway, perhaps a couple of hours a week which is probably why the cards lasted as long as it has. Think i'll just leave her be till she dies naturally.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Back