ATI 9800Pro Dual Display - Help

Chelica

2[H]4U
Hey guys -

I was using an NVIDIA GeForce Ti4600. I used NView and was able to stretch my desktop across two screens easily. My taskbar extended from one end of the first screen to the other end of the 2nd screen. All I did was click on the "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" tab. I was even able to use a desktop wallpaper that would go across two screen instead of trying to duplicate or clone the wallpaper.

After switching to an ATI 9800Pro, I have not been able to do this. I can extend my desktop but the taskbar just stays on the primary screen. With the wallpaper, the image does not extends.

I have downloaded Hydravision but still nothing. Tried google searching and still nothing.

Any ideas fellow [H]?

ATi dual-head cards do not support stretched desktop mode, unless you use Linux or an ATi xpress200 chipset with onboard VGA. This is the only way with ATi cards that you can do stretched desktop, as it's called. The other 2 modes for multi-mon setups is "clone" where each screen displays the same, and "extended" desktop, where desktop area is increased to a secondary monitor, and programs can be assigned to that monitor, but taskbar and full-screen apps still take place on the primary monitor.
Sorry, but you're out of luck.
I have, however, heard that some sort of ATi PCI card (i.e. a second card) can allow you to do this. No idea if it's true, however.

O okay. I will def. get an Nvidia card next. I have a DoubleSight Display that was working great with NView.

Thanks

Thread can be closed.

banGerprawN, you are wrong!!!

Chelica, don't get rid of your ATI card just yet! ATI dual-head cards *DO* support stretched desktop mode. All you need is a program like UltraMon. I'm running a 9800 Pro with UltraMon. I can stretch a single background across 2 monitors. As a matter of fact, my current background is a 3200x1200 image that spans beautifully across both monitors. UltraMon can also be configured to provide a taskbar on the second monitor that will show the programs running on the second monitor.

HB

mashie said:
The Ultramon extended taskbar is horrible btw.
I totally disagree, it works just fine for me (version 2.5). The purpose of a taskbar is to simply display a button for each window on the screen, and to auto-hide properly. Were you expecting more?

HB

HenryBravo said:
I totally disagree, it works just fine for me (version 2.5). The purpose of a taskbar is to simply display a button for each window on the screen, and to auto-hide properly. Were you expecting more?

HB
Well I want the quick launch to the left, open programs in the middle and the addressbar to the right (I have 32 quick launch icons btw).

@HenryBravo:
Yes, with ATi cards in windows, you can do a stretched desktop background by creating/downloading a background of the right pixel settings, and yes, you can also set-up each screen with a taskbar of it's own using a program like UltraMon, but this is the extent to which you can do it.
Movies will never be stretched across two screens, and games will never be able to be displayed across two monitors either. This is what I meant when I made the statement.

Yea, got Ultramon to work, thank you HenryBravo!

And it was weird but I was able to play GuildWars across 2 screens with the NVIDIA card, too bad the ATI cannot perform the same feat. Pretty cool tho.

Does that mean that Guildwars can also be played across 3 monitors? I need a new RPG type game to get hooked on and on top of that have been looking for a game to take advantage of a tri-display setup.

Not too sure about tridisplay but I was able to go dual display...good luck.

nVidia will do stretched display for fullscreen apps (games, movies, etc) but ATi cards will not. This is the difference. ATi cards can be used in conjunction with Ultramon to create the illusion of a stretched desktop, but it's not the same thing.

Back